Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Learning something new...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Learning something new...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Learning something new...

Guys, a little bit back I asked about airbrushing and got some great advice from many of you. I got my Paasche Talon and decided to do a quick test on a PzIII I had laying around. I wasn't going to post this, but figured that any comments you guys have will only help me to improve.This is my first time doing any kind of airbrush work and camo on a tank so take that into consideration. I do appreciate any feedback you can offer, of course.I did not yet weather or add decals, just a basecoat and camo so there is more to come. I just wanted to share...
Thanks again to all of you guys for the tips and info I rquested. As always, you guys rock!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay74485.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1400864   Click image for larger version

Name:	pk29300.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1400865   Click image for larger version

Name:	in27544.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1400866  
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Soulfly3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learning something new...

looks very good to me!!!

how fun!!

GJ!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
BiggTony

Nice work for your first go around.

It's gonna take some time to get used to proper distance and rate of speed to move to avoid blotches like the one on the turret on the second photo closest to the mantlet. But overall, I think you did a great job.

Here's a tip for future projects.
If you want a more precision look in your design, camo, or detail without it looking dramatically stenciled. Use a stencil with desired curves, shapes or what not made from anything you have laid around such as poster board, cardboard, paper, etc.....

Hold it at a distance from the surface your painting and equal or less distance from your airbrush(this is best through experimentation to achieve the effects you want.) You'll now create a precision stencil with over spray included. Unlike hard stencil masking (masking tape, latex liquid mask, etc...), you'll be left with hard edges.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
1sgt

Yellowshaker,
Good work. It does take practice. I often practice on the cardboard box I put my tank on to paint. Once I have the mixture right and the patterens I move onto the tank itself. I also have some pics of the real tank to guide me. When I'm done the box goes in the trash. Another thing to keep in mind is that these cammo jobs were applied out in the field by the units mechanics. There paint jobs weren't always perfect either. Oh and by the way, you have just taken another step deeper into the abyess of 1/16 tanking, LOL.

Jim
Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM
kagero43

Wow - if this is oen of your FIRST try, I'd hate to compete with you at a contest in a few months . Excellent work. Your pattern of spray is tight with little overspray. Best tips are:
1) keep your paint mixture thin (50:50 ratio is safe). For fine camo, thin even more.
2) Use less pressure (about 15 PSI) - even less for fine camo.
3) Vary your airbrush distance to the surface to see the effects (the closer you are, the tigher the pattern).
4) Don't skimp on cleaning the sirbrush. A clean brush means guanrantees long service life and better results!

Great!

Harvey
Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Panther G

Also Joe, try doing some shading before your base coat. that means spray very thin dark lines along all the seems and recesses. they will just barely show up after you do the base but it adds depth and detail too your paint. other than that it looks fantastic. Only other thing is your not going too see very many PzIII's with a three color paint scheme. That came along later in the war. sorry buddy, but it still looks great. you may see some J's and M's with 2 color camo jobs but not like 3.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
lthump

Very good for your first go, you are doing fine . Ive been doing it for years and I see you have got the basics right. You seem to have basic mastery of your airbrush next is to refine the technique's of shading , copying camo off pics etc Keep listening to the advice of the blokes here and you will soon be an awesome airbrush painter. You obviously have some natural talent for this.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
yellowshaker

Guys thanks for the help and comments. I like to go at things head long...sometimes it works...sometimes I get a headache. lol.  I really went by eye and did not use a reference photo at all. I actually wanted to preshade the tank and completely forgot in my hurry to get painting. I do plan to do some weathering and see what happens. Hopefull I will get better as I do it.  Any other tips and hints are much appreciated and welome guys. Feel free to give me your input and opinions on any paint mixing or weahering advice to add to my ever growing arsenal. lol
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Wehrmacht39

It looks great!, what paints did you use?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good for the first try.... you have to let air out first and gently pull back to spray a soft mist starting spray and try and keep the same distance as you paint along with staying paralell with the surfece.... ( this is hard to do on a rounded object) or sometimes you will get those round run spray circles also keep a nice steady speed... also gently put the guns spray knob back to the no spray position as you are painting because if you put it back farward to fast it will spit splatter spots on your work.
Good luck
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 PM
yellowshaker

I used tamiya acrylics thinned with tamiya thinner...though I plan to experiment with thinnuing in other ways as ome of you guys do. I am happy with it for a firat time attempt, and I do realize I have a whole lot to learn. That's why I'm here LOL
Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joe,
You will love the Paasche air brush. I have great luck with mine and Steve (Shenlonco) has a nice airbrush he just showed me with removeable tips that look cool too. As for your paint job, it looks good for your first time out. There are many tricks to learn as you progress. Practice, practice, prcatice. Try buying some old toys at a flea market or garage sale for practice painting. It looks like you are having trouble around the fenders and hatches where the surface varies. It is best to go slow and retrace you paints track to make sure you close all those gaps. If you try and go back with more paint later it ususlly doesn't match well. Do it all at one time with one batch of paint.
Good luck and let's battle soon..Bob