Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Anybody else get their Hooben T-55 yet??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Anybody else get their Hooben T-55 yet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anybody else get their Hooben T-55 yet??

I am using the weights for turret counter-balancing on a Tiger. I currently have a standard lead wheel weight inside my turret and I want to "get the lead out" (and I'm not talkin about Zeppelin). I don't want to be touching the poisonous lead when I have my fingers inside the turret and having my wires and stuff touching it. I got my lead weight from a Goodyear shop for free like you did. Mine is just a standard clip on wheel weight though, which I mounted using velcro.

I would have preferred the adhesive-backed 1/4 ounce weights (non-lead), but could only find them at a local wheel weight supplier. The minimum quantity they would sell me was a box full that cost about $75. So I found what seems to be almost identical to what you have (only Zinc, non-lead) for $7.40 shipped on Ebay (24 - 1/4 ounce weights).

I looked up your "BADA Tape-A-Weights" and BADA weights appear to be made of lead. Some of their clip-on lead weights have a polymer coating applied over the lead. They don't state whether the TAW ones are coated or not. They probably are not coated.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
removeb4flt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a thought Rsea, could you use some clear coat paint to "seal" the lead? I seem to recall this trick with lead weights when balancing a wing.I thought the clear coat was of the off the shelf spray can type.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

as much as I hate to say it, I think lead being a serious issue in most any situation is vastly overblown. I've not known anyone to have lead poisoning yet had/have handled/cast it for decades. I don't want to get into a discussion on the merits of all the different studies out there, or the various regulations affecting lead out there, simply that the hazards of lead seem to be based less on reality and more on possibility.

Wash your hands when you are done, good ventilation if there is going to be lead dust, and you'll be fine.

Note that I had the same thought about painting the lead weights I cast to level my StuG out (around 8-10oz) but it doesn't need to be clear, it just needs to stick decently to the lead, which I don't think will be a problem for most automotive spray paint.

Anything you touch from initial lead contact up to and including the handle to the sink is potentially contaminated with lead. Has it killed you yet?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM
milsurp53

How about fishing weights? Most aren't lead and they come in all weights, shapes and sizes.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

You should be able to go to any tire shop and ask them for the stick on wheel weights. I can't remember what the non-lead ones are, maybe zinc? In any case, lead is still the predominant material for wheel weights for some reason, maybe it's cost, but probably how effective it is as well, due to weight for size.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:13 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't intend to hi-jack the this thread but, lots of things are slowly killing me, including typing on this computer (which has been wrecking my hands for years). I really should be using speech recognition to dictate these forum posts or just don't post.. Getting that lead out of my tank is one less thing to potentially cause damage. Why use lead when there are alternatives.. Zinc will work just fine, the sprockets, idlers and swing arms on the tank are made of zinc..

The Germans made most of their late war military badges out of zinc. The zinc badges typically have, by now, lost their finishes (they usually appear gray in color), but they certainly haven't crumbled or desintigrated away and they are 65+ years old now. Although collectors tend to prefer the early die-struck war badges because of the lost finish issue with the zinc ones and the cheaper, less detailed, zinc casting technique.

Plus I got some zinc in my vitamins. I see no lead added to my vitamins. I've seen lead encapsulated in epoxy used as ballast weight in RC subs. This way the lead can be melted to form shapes to fit nicely inside cavities in the bottom of the hull. I'm not screwing around with epoxy for turret counter weights.. I'm zincing that turret, lead is no longer welcome inside it! I might even listen to some Zeppelin while I get that lead out of there next week