Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman questions

Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sherman questions

been looking at getting a Mato sherman. how are they? I already have a pershing, bulldog, and tiger1. do the gears last? do the pershing drive wheels and tracks fit the sherman? any 3:1 gearboxes available?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Default RE: Sherman questions

Moonwaltz??

Wow, what a unique name? Anyway. I have the Sherman and have had it for about 1 1/2 years. Still original gears and motor. I have not had any problems what so ever. I did do the turret mods ( cut off the extra turret ring ) and cut off the plastic barrel. but other then that, it's original and runs fine in my back yard. As far as the tracks go. I don't think you could find any better for the type modeled. If you want to modernize your Sherman, I don't know. I'm sure someone will chime in
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sherman is a good tank. THe electronics are a bit sketchy, and I wouldn't count on them lasting, but some have had some good luck with them. The sprockets and track are great. No need of any upgrade in this department.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info. do they have RX18 Boards? I was worried about the drive wheels and gear boxes being plastic mostly. my bulldog stripped the plastic drive wheels so I'm running plastic tracks and metal drive wheels except on the tiger 1 it's metal tracks, works great. I run alot around the horse pasture with the kids and it's rough on a drivetrane. 2 blown potmetal gear boxes, one tiger 1 and one bulldog, stripped out drive sprokets bulldog, broken sproket pershing. The plastic tracks do seem to work better in that terrain but they need metal spokets. What does the Sherman have for drive wheelsprokets? Are the gear boxes pot metal?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Mine worked but had 15 foot range. The sprockets are plastic but have held up. The gearboxes are plastic and one of mine broke but i was running it hard. On the plus side the extra gears made good 3/1 parts to mod henglong boxes.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
YHR

Mato does not run HL anything. You would be advised to buy and RX 14 or RX 18 with the tank. Gearboxes are plastic so they might not take the pounding you sound like you give your tanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:32 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Ibought the mato sherman very recently. Here is my experience so far.

Monday Aug 23rd: Package arrives one day early (hooray). Charge up the battery, tanks drives a bit abruptly but the gun shoots super hard. I notice that the tank tend to "stall" sometimes when it's driving away from me then I have to change the transmitter orientaion and we're back in buisness. Airsoft gun goes dead after a couple dozen shots.

Tuesday Aug 24th: After emailing mato, I decide to fix the gun myself with a simple soldering of a loose wire. Back in buisness but the tank still stalls

Wednesday Aug 25th: Ihear a "click" in the transmitter and find the right joystick won't center anymore and the tank pulls hard to the left now unless I am right on it with the controller. Stalling issue appears to be due to really weak signal pick up, the tank can't get more than 12' away before becoming unresponsive.

Thursday Aug 26th: The tank is virtually uncontrollable. I'm afraid I'll damage it so I shut it down (9 year old son very dissapointed) But Low!What light through yonder darkness breaks? 'Tis Fireman Tim who comes to the rescue and offers to gut the $h1tty mato electrics and wire it up with HL rx18 board and HLIR system he has lying around. Total cost: $0 because he's a really generous guy whose totally enthusiastic about RC tanking (tankers rule)

Friday Aug 27th: Turns out the airsoft unit is pooched already (nylon gear teeth rattling around).

My Opinion: Looks great, love the tracks, poor electronics/transmitter, real possibility for upgrades. Get it, gut it and mod it. Or you might get lucky like I didn't. It's only $175 including taxes and shipping in Canada so w.t.h.?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46824.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1491219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86773.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1491220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24377.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1491221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34877.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1491222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do80984.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1491223  
Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first experience with the Mato was when i took mine to a battle day for NEAD.I thrashed it and allowed another member to do the same.It ran and performed perfectly.After that,I tore it apart and well...see pics below.It now sports a new look as well as tamiya electronics.The tracks are very durable.Some of the best stock tracks I've seen to date.

Name:	om33585.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1491247   Click image for larger version

Name:	qn38617.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1491248   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc91978.jpg
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1491249   Click image for larger version

Name:	hn25328.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1491250   Click image for larger version

Name:	lf95064.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1491251   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc42098.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1491252   Click image for larger version

Name:	tk76154.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1491253   Click image for larger version

Name:	mo16340.jpg
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1491254  

Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 AM

Your sherman looks great! I need to paint and detail my tanks now
Old 08-28-2010, 12:25 AM

Thank you brother...now get to painting!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:29 AM

Where'd you get the barrel and mantlet?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 AM

The mantlet is the mato which I modified a bit. The barrel and muzzle brake are from Nick Aguilar.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 AM

What sort of price range was it to make your sherman look so good?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Eggman1965

I bought the mato sherman very recently. Here is my experience so far.

Monday Aug 23rd: Package arrives one day early (hooray). Charge up the battery, tanks drives a bit abruptly but the gun shoots super hard. I notice that the tank tend to ''stall'' sometimes when it's driving away from me then I have to change the transmitter orientaion and we're back in buisness. Airsoft gun goes dead after a couple dozen shots.

Tuesday Aug 24th: After emailing mato, I decide to fix the gun myself with a simple soldering of a loose wire. Back in buisness but the tank still stalls

Wednesday Aug 25th: I hear a ''click'' in the transmitter and find the right joystick won't center anymore and the tank pulls hard to the left now unless I am right on it with the controller. Stalling issue appears to be due to really weak signal pick up, the tank can't get more than 12' away before becoming unresponsive.

Thursday Aug 26th: The tank is virtually uncontrollable. I'm afraid I'll damage it so I shut it down (9 year old son very dissapointed) But Low! What light through yonder darkness breaks? 'Tis Fireman Tim who comes to the rescue and offers to gut the $h1tty mato electrics and wire it up with HL rx18 board and HL IR system he has lying around. Total cost: $0 because he's a really generous guy whose totally enthusiastic about RC tanking (tankers rule)

Friday Aug 27th: Turns out the airsoft unit is pooched already (nylon gear teeth rattling around).

My Opinion: Looks great, love the tracks, poor electronics/transmitter, real possibility for upgrades. Get it, gut it and mod it. Or you might get lucky like I didn't. It's only $175 including taxes and shipping in Canada so w.t.h.?

The part I bolded is absolutely a spot on observation on this tank. I have bought four of these, one of the four has stock electronics in it(Sits in a museum) Every single one of them has been modifed heavily. The tank is a great source of Sherman parts. Honestly the tracks, VVSS suspension and the bare M1A4 hull are worth the purchase price alone. If you modify tanks and you like Shermans ,this tank even with it's problems, is a value.

Guys with no tanking experience should take stock of what a lot of us are saying. If a solid OTB tank is what you are looking for buy an HL Panther. My belief is that you have to be lucky to have a Mato Sherman that is problem free. However with cheap readily availble HL parts this thing can be made into a solid runner without a lot of effort, and a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 AM

[/quote]

The part I bolded is absolutely a spot on observation on this tank. I have bought four of these, one of the four has stock electronics in it(Sits in a museum) Every single one of them has been modifed heavily. The tank is a great source of Sherman parts. Honestly the tracks, VVSS suspension and the bare M1A4 hull are worth the purchase price alone. If you modify tanks and you like Shermans ,this tank even with it's problems, is a value.

Guys with no tanking experience should take stock of what a lot of us are saying. If a solid OTB tank is what you are looking for buy an HL Panther. My belief is that you have to be lucky to have a Mato Sherman that is problem free. However with cheap readily availble HL parts this thing can be made into a solid runner without a lot of effort, and a heck of a lot of fun.
[/quote]

I'm leaning heavily towards a Heng Long Panther for my next purchase, are they worth it?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Eggman1965

I'm leaning heavily towards a Heng Long Panther for my next purchase, are they worth it?

I really like mine.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 AM
YHR

Yes the Panther is a good tank. There have been a few problems reported, but generally speaking a very good offering with little to complain about.

However how can you not want a Canadian Firefly!!! I have been working on making the suspension fully functional, and just got it finished this week. This completes my third Firefly This is an IR battle tank with Darkiths DBC in it.

Key features

Grafted Mato front to a Tamiya to give me a 1C hull varient

Tamiya turret modifed into a Firefly configuration. Used the split hatch form the Mato Sherman

All wheels were recast to scale and open spoke wheel

Suspension fully functional

Transmission cover modifed for a more scale like appearance.

3:1 Heng Long Modifed Gears.

Heng long electronics

Recoiling bbl

DBC teamed up to a digital sound card for battle sounds.

A whole bunch of resin cast stowage items.

A pile of fun, and a very good running tank.

Name:	Tq48538.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1491397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75702.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1491398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48311.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1491399  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 AM

I just finished upgrading Eggman's Sherman to RX18. It is a very easy mod to do. I think I had to re-solder every wire in the turret though. The trick is to just stay calm and don't get frustrated. LOL

YHR is right, the DBC is totally worth it for all you new tankers out there.

YHR - I'd like to know more about the digital sound card. Where can I find it? Pics?

Eggman - can you imagine hearing Oddball barking out orders from your tank? Gives me chills just thinking about it.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 AM
YHR

I posted a source for these a while back. 12 bucks. I'll see if I can find it.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9756625/anchors_9756625/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9756625]Digital sound card[/link]

I combine this with the analog sound card you can get from Darkith. I record the cannon sound on this, and the hit and death sounds on the analog card.

I was having trouble wiht the analog cards synching with the cannon blast due to the limitations of manually recording the sounds. With the USB digital card that is not an issue and you get an immediate Sound as soon as you fire.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Fireman Tim

I just finished upgrading Eggman's Sherman to RX18. It is a very easy mod to do. I think I had to re-solder every wire in the turret though. The trick is to just stay calm and don't get frustrated. LOL

YHR is right, the DBC is totally worth it for all you new tankers out there.

YHR - I'd like to know more about the digital sound card. Where can I find it? Pics?

Eggman - can you imagine hearing Oddball barking out orders from your tank? Gives me chills just thinking about it.
That would be a trip, but first lets see how I do modding the HL Tiger with the IR system.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-28-2010, 12:22 PM

we area bit rough on our tanks. Ours are for battle not show. I was looking for one to not put alot into out of the box. the bulldog has been the best the Tiger 1 the worst so far for needing parts. I was looking at the panther but the wife want's to start getting in on the battles and she reallylikes the sherman. what 3:1 gear box fits in the sherman, thepershinggearbox? the RX 18 upgrade I can do if I can find the parts, is the rx 18 kit rctankwars sells complete for this?

I't's not a real battle till someone is hidding from fire behind a pile of horse pucky. We still use the airsoft and wear paintball masks. 10yr old son - Tiger1, 6yr old daughter bulldog, me - pershing, and now my wife wants a sherman. We battle in the garden, the barn, the horse pasture, and the front yard. we tried in the dry creek but the tanks got too banged up traversing the rocks. No battles around the chicken pen, they eat the BBs but if you tie a rubber worm on a long string behind the tank and run it through the chicken pen it's hilarios to watch the chickens chase it.

Thanks for all the advise and answers.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: YHR

However how can you not want a Canadian Firefly!!! I have been working on making the suspension fully functional, and just got it finished this week. This completes my third Firefly

Three Fireflies???? Man, I envy your collection.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Could someone post a Mato Sherman Pic with the top off so I could see how thegearboxes ect. sit in the chassis?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: googlydoogly

ORIGINAL: YHR

However how can you not want a Canadian Firefly!!! I have been working on making the suspension fully functional, and just got it finished this week. This completes my third Firefly

Three Fireflies???? Man, I envy your collection.
Yes so as these hunted in troops of 1 Firefly for each 4- 75mm, I have a pile of Shermans to make!!!!!! I have a real addiction to the Sherman. They are a great tanks to model because they were all characterized by their crews.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
YHR

This is the only picture I could find of a stock Sherman.

Name:	Om32559.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1491849  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.