RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   !! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/10199223-a.html)

Gex 12-15-2010 01:42 PM

!!

I just saw a King Tiger loaded on a flatbed headed south on I-65, just south of Nashville!!! Forgive the nerdiness but I was excited! :)

yellowshaker 12-15-2010 02:03 PM

RE: !!

You did say a King Tiger???As in a 1:1 scale King Tiger?

Gex 12-15-2010 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

You did say a King Tiger???As in a 1:1 scale King Tiger?

yes sir, the 1:1 behemoth [8D] I wish I could say it was on it's way to my house, haha. Not that I'd have anywhere to put it.....I've never seen one before in person and I can now truly appreciate what a beast those things are. The turret and most of the upper portions were covered with a tarp, so all I could see was the front glacis, the gun poking out, most of the sides, and the tracks of course. Definitely a WIDE load ha.

diabolic-mind 12-15-2010 02:28 PM

you dont need a place to put it, just pick you least favorite part of your house and drive into it :), if the neighbors ask just tell them its an addition!!!

yellowshaker 12-15-2010 02:52 PM

I thought there was only 1 KT still in existence.  Did you get some pics???????

Buckeye36 12-15-2010 03:06 PM

The surviving panzers web site shows at least 8 different KT's, 1 in running condition.

Gerula 12-15-2010 03:20 PM

Or it could be a 1:1 replica made for a movie or something.

pattoncommander 12-15-2010 03:28 PM

Like the fiberglass Lulubelle from Bogey's Sahara. Lot of that movie was shot using a fiberglass mockup. It was up for sale a couple years ago.

Gex, were the truck's tires running low? That's a helluva load.

Gex 12-15-2010 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

I thought there was only 1 KT still in existence. Did you get some pics???????

omigosh i wish that I had! Unfortunately I was driving, so taking a picture didn't seem like the best idea :( I like the idea for the Tiger II "addition" to my house, but I doubt it'd fly with the HOA. Of course maybe some camo netting could solve that ;)

This was on wikipedia for the Tiger II under the surviving vehicles section:

"Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, United States. Tiger II (production turret). Hull number 280243, built in September 1944. Turret number 332 from s.SS Pz.Abt. 501. Abandoned near Trois-Ponts, it was captured by the US Army on 24 December 1944. The left side was cut open for educational purposes at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in the late 1940s. This tank left Fort Knox on 14 December 2010, en route to the proposed US Army armor museum at Fort Benning, United States."

...soo I suspect that's the one I saw?? It was facing rearwards, so the open left side was not visible, and it was covered by a tarp anyway. In any case, I thought it was a pretty neat thing to see on the way home from work.

pattoncommander 12-15-2010 03:36 PM

On second thought...the Patton museum is presently moving all the heavy tanks this week ....could very well be you saw the Panther II, which has KT suspension although the museum tank has a Panther A turret on it.

Gex 12-15-2010 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Like the fiberglass Lulubelle from Bogey's Sahara. Lot of that movie was shot using a fiberglass mockup. It was up for sale a couple years ago.

Gex, were the truck's tires running low? That's a helluva load.
I can't recall about the tires...I was pretty much right on top of it before I realized what it was, and it didn't register at first what I was actually seeing, so I didn't get a great look at the truck. It must have only been doing 60 or 65, if that. We get a few semis transporting M88 ARVs up and down 65 through here so it's not that unusual to see a tracked vehicle like that, until I got up close to it and realized what it actually was.

Gex 12-15-2010 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

On second thought...the Patton museum is presently moving all the heavy tanks this week ....could very well be you saw the Panther II, which has KT suspension although the museum tank has a Panther A turret on it.
That could be true, but the tracks were extremely wide, which made me think of the kt. Like I said though, I didn't get great look at it, as I didn't notice it was not a modern vehicle until I was right on top of it.

swathdiver 12-15-2010 03:56 PM

That was probably the old KT 332. Lucky dog! ;)

yellowshaker 12-15-2010 04:05 PM

Man, some of you guys have all theluck. Best I ever see around here is a restore jeep Willys with a mock MG on it.
I would definitely take aKT home with me if I could. I'll make my owwn parking spot.:D

rivetcounter 12-15-2010 04:22 PM

I personally have seen 5 Tiger II and know of another 6 including 1 in a private collection being built at the moment, of the 5 I have seen they are in the following countries
England x2 including the only Porsche turreted Tiger II, England also has the most Tigers of any type currently 8 including private collections.
France
Belgium
Germany
Sweden is also currently restoring a Tiger II this I haven’t seen yet

Dana Lowell 12-15-2010 07:17 PM

Details about moving tanks from Knox to Benning:
www.army.mil/-news/2010/02/15/34433-knox-armor-artifacts-begin-move-to-benning/<br type="_moz" />

diabolic-mind 12-15-2010 08:07 PM

the best thing i ever seen in person was, well, im not sure. my uncle spent several years as a national gaurd and one year at the lake george ice festival he was there with some tank, i have no clue what it was but there was a tank crew there with some rather large truck with a crane in it and they had a lengthy demonstration of howthis crane could easily pull a motor out of the tank. the best part was i got to ride in a full blow ready for warfare hummer complete with .50 cal. if youve never been right up close to a 50 cal i gotta say its one intimidating weapon.

Gex 12-15-2010 09:01 PM

I consider myself very lucky, it definitely made my day. Certainly made the early rush hour more interesting. [8D] In a way though I'm kind of bummed; I've been wanting to go to that museum at Fort Knox, but now it's moved, and Fort Benning is a good deal farther from me than Fort Knox..oh well...maybe I could sneak that in on a trip to Florida someday, and my girlfriend (maybe wife by that time?) will suspect nothing until we get there! "oh gee, armor museum. Had no idea that was here. Mind if we stop by since we're in the neighborhood?"

diabolic-did you actually get to fire the .50 on that humvee? I'd love to do that someday. And drive an Abrams. I suspect I'd only be able to do that stuff if I joined the Army, but they did let Tim Allen do it once upon a time. Guess I just need to be famous for something and it'll be no problem [sm=what_smile.gif]

Perry S. 12-15-2010 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

the best thing i ever seen in person was, well, im not sure. my uncle spent several years as a national gaurd and one year at the lake george ice festival he was there with some tank, i have no clue what it was but there was a tank crew there with some rather large truck with a crane in it and they had a lengthy demonstration of howthis crane could easily pull a motor out of the tank. the best part was i got to ride in a full blow ready for warfare hummer complete with .50 cal. if youve never been right up close to a 50 cal i gotta say its one intimidating weapon.

Lake George......I'm in Saratoga

yellowshaker 12-15-2010 10:02 PM

I don't think you have to be famous to drive the Abrams..just have a lot of money to "donate" to the government. LOL

fynsdad 12-16-2010 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope my son realises just how lucky he is. not many kids have climbed all over a KT.

THE_BREED 12-16-2010 01:47 AM

I've driven an Abrams lots of times. Not really that exciting. Kinda like a giant atv.

Gex 12-16-2010 05:18 AM

haha well I don't get to drive that many ATVs!

Mathom1 12-16-2010 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw several photo's on the [link]http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480859[/link]
If I can get the photo's to post properly....

Mathom1 12-16-2010 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[link]http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480859[/link]

Photos at Fort Knox courtesy of Geoff Walden