RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   What should the next Tamiya Tank be? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/10952398-what-should-next-tamiya-tank.html)

vonmarshall 02-10-2012 02:14 AM

What should the next Tamiya Tank be?

I am on the home straight of completing my full option King Tiger (just 3 years in the making!) and my thoughts now turn to what to build next. It will probably end up being a Tiger or Panther but I am secretly hoping the Tamiya will surprise us all and bring out something new.</p>

So in the vague hope that Tamiya have a chap somewhere reading forums like this for market reasearch purposes, what tank would you like to see most?</p>

For me there are two stand-out all-time great tanks that I hope they release.</p>

1st up is the venerable Panzer III,The PzIV has been praised in most quarters so a PZIII with maybe a Stug III stablemate would definately get my wallet emptied! I know Heng Long got there first, but given the fact i would want to throw on some AsiaTam stuff and probably use Tamiya's superior (IMHO) electrics, Iwouldprobably end upspending at least Tamiya money in the process. I would rather just buy Tamiya quality to begin with!</p>

2ndly, and potentially more likely, I would pay Leopard type money for a T-55. Mr. T has recently released a wonderful 1:35 T-55 Engima and I for one would run out and buy their Full Option 1/16 version. HoobenT-55 garnered so much interest and it looks like theyt sold surprisingly welleven though the reviews of the quality were poor to say the least. I think that the many versions of the T-55, the many nations that used them and the fundamental good looks of it would mean a Tamiya version would be a real hit.</p>

So what would you like to see?</p>

Panther F 02-10-2012 03:05 AM

RE: What should the next Tamiya Tank be?

"What should the next Tamiya Tank be?" A freakin' REAL British tank!

Not a re-hashed Sherman kit ... the Firefly or the Sherman III but a real British tank.

The list is long so I won't bother listing them all! :D We know.

~ Jeff

Onondaga 02-10-2012 03:39 AM

First Choice:  Elefant

2nd Choice:  T-34/76

3rd Choice:  Maus

herrmill 02-10-2012 03:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Onondaga

First Choice: Elefant

2nd Choice: T-34/76

3rd Choice: Maus
Why? WHy?? and WHY??? All those kits are already or projected to be released by others.

I'll second the REAL British subject as long as its WW2 vintage which could be followed up with Mk 3 Centurian. Those would re-invigerate the line & get some interest back into large scale RC tank modeling.

If not, I'd simply recommend rolling the dice & come out with a Char B. After that release, they can just fold up the 1:16 tent & go back to concentrating on 1:35 static kits & RC cars.

abo 02-10-2012 04:44 AM

1st choice, Churchill, 2nd choice, Churchill, 3rd choice, Churchill, wild card, Churchill crocodile.

mustclime 02-10-2012 05:38 AM

What I think they "should do" is offer different versone of what they have.....like the 105 sherman????, how about a easy 8 or firefly, A late or mid model tiger 1 would be nice, an africa core panze 4? how about a panther a? a july 45 verson on the king tiger? how about a hunting tiger? a m46 would be killer....

By offering different versons of the models they already make, they do not have to dump a whole bunch cash into design so they can still make a buck....and keep the lines new.

As for new tanks they could produce, a comit of centorien would be cool. I would like to see a m1a2 and a t90 as well.

vonmarshall 02-10-2012 05:39 AM

Interesting ideas about the British tanks.... never really thought about it but just been googling Challenger 2's for modern options and Comets forsomehting old school.

If Tamiya released either of those I would be all over it too!

YHR 02-10-2012 06:00 AM

To stay consistant, and in the hope perhaps someone at Tamiya does browse the forums from time to time. British armor.

Valentine to face off against the PZ III & IV in Africa

Cromwell/ Churchill to face off against Panthers and Tigers in Europe

I know we 1/16 rc armor guys are a small wheel, but who wouldn't buy one of these if Tamiya produced it.

This is one of the issues we talked about when we formed IRCTO. If our hobby could speak in a unified voice, perhaps we could get someones attention. IRCTO is planning on doing a poll very quickly, and the purpose of the poll is to take the winner and shop it out. If the winner is a late Model Tiger, I will go back to Model railroading<grin>

Rex Ross 02-10-2012 06:46 AM

Any British WWII tank that starts with a "C" would be great, including a Matilda and a Valentine.

Did I mention a CENTURION ?

mcovalsk 02-10-2012 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: vonmarshall

1st up is the venerable Panzer III, The PzIV has been praised in most quarters so a PZIII with maybe a Stug III stablemate would definately get my wallet emptied! I know Heng Long got there first,

Hooben T-55 garnered so much interest and it looks like theyt sold surprisingly well even though the reviews of the quality were poor to say the least. I think that the many versions of the T-55, the many nations that used them and the fundamental good looks of it would mean a Tamiya version would be a real hit.</p>

So what would you like to see?</p>
I would like to make some comments about your post.
The T-55 from Hooben is good enough, I don't know what review you read but most of the people have built the model say is worth for the price, I think so. Second, why to ask to Tamiya offer something that others are selling fine, for example T-34... etc.

To be frank I don't think we will see new tanks from Tamiya others than a reissue or a slightly modified one like the shameful M-51, by the other hand.... more Germans... really? How many do you want.

They have offered successfully 1/25 tanks in the past and made reissues recently, the Centurion and Chieftain as well as other 1/25 tigers...etc.
Although the 1/25 British are not so good ( I built them many years ago), if they make the same for 1/16 would be outstanding for the scale, plenty of possibilities, mainly the Centurion.
From the side of Americans the only significant could be the M60, a big boy.
Just my 2cts thinking

karel47 02-10-2012 06:58 AM

i would say to tamiya give us a good RCTruck on 1/16 like an opel Blitz or a GMC would be a bestseller right away

a few tanks i love to see bring out : a M18 Hellcat, an Achilles, a stug IV would be a big sell to

also rc staffcars : WC 52, a Horch, a scoutcar so many options and not one of them is produced or the german kever on this scale
a truck is far more on rc on 1/16 would be my prefered item to ask to bring out, nice with the figures etc, towing guns, full of supply would ad colour to the battlefields

vett guy 02-10-2012 07:06 AM

how about a m48/m60

dlobmwm3 02-10-2012 07:13 AM

1st Choice: T-34/76
2nd Choice: M1A2 Abrams
3rd Choice: Merkava

mcovalsk 02-10-2012 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: dlobmwm3
1st Choice: T-34/76
2nd Choice: M1A2 Abrams
3rd Choice: Merkava
I also though about the Merkava, but after some consideration I realized is not a subject I would invest on. We aren't talking about a small 1/35 but an very expensive kit to realize. The list of reasons is large and will not make sense to open a discussion here, but I don't see as probable... unfortunately.

vonmarshall 02-10-2012 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: mcovalsk

I would like to make some comments about your post.
The T-55 from Hooben is good enough, I don't know what review you read but most of the people have built the model say is worth for the price, I think so. Second, why to ask to Tamiya offer something that others are selling fine, for example T-34... etc.
I suppose what I was trying to say is that from the reports I have read, there were many cases with missing parts, pretty scrappy gearboxes and 20th century electrics. As you rightly say, for the price, it is probably a good model.

However, the post I started was "which Tamiya tank would you like to see" and not "which tank". I am on the whole happy to pay Tamiya money for products that never have missing parts, where the mechanicals are good or excellent, where the instructions are clear and thorough and where the electrics are IMHO second to none.

I suppose that is why I really want to see Tamiya give the T-55 a go!

karel47 02-10-2012 08:28 AM

nono it is much easier for tamiya to bring out a Stug IV on their Pzkfz IV chassis its half the investment only engineer the upperhull of it, second the gun can be moved with JP MF stuff so its realy not abig investment as the new other kits ... but thisis just a thought

Panther F 02-10-2012 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: karel47

i would say to tamiya give us a good RC Truck on 1/16 like an opel Blitz or a GMC would be a bestseller right away

a few tanks i love to see bring out : a M18 Hellcat, an Achilles, a stug IV would be a big sell to

also rc staffcars : WC 52, a Horch, a scoutcar so many options and not one of them is produced or the german kever on this scale
a truck is far more on rc on 1/16 would be my prefered item to ask to bring out, nice with the figures etc, towing guns, full of supply would ad colour to the battlefields

You should start a Truck Thread!! :D

~ Jeff

karel47 02-10-2012 08:38 AM

not a bad thought jef

ackroyd 02-10-2012 08:52 AM

Centurian

Panther F 02-10-2012 09:23 AM

I'd buy a 1/16 RC Tamiya truck (or really, any brand) right now! Beside the M16 and the Tamiya Kubel, we are sorely missing support vehicles and there are plenty to choose from!

~ Jeff

karel47 02-10-2012 09:32 AM

yes it a pitty if you see what they bring onto the one to six scale even halftracks

i would a a 250 or a 251 halftrack to the list also a very wanted object, are these brands will sell ? It looks they are not interesting in making money after all these copycats went out there http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif

wsn123 02-10-2012 09:43 AM

1st Choice: T-34/85 </p>

2nd Choice: T-90 or T-72</p>

all with perfect engine sound </p>

</p>

Panzerpaul 02-10-2012 09:48 AM

i would say to tamiya give us a good RC Truck on 1/16 like an opel Blitz or a GMC would be a bestseller right away.
WC 52, a Horch, a scoutcar so many options and not one of them is produced or the german kever on this scale

I 100% agree. Vehicles add so much realism to battlefield drama, and having them RC'd could add to our IR games immensely. One truck that has long been missing is the standard WWII US 2 ½-ton 6x6 truck (called the “Deuce-and-a-half” by GIs). And on the German side either a 1½ ton Opel Blitz or the Mercedes Benz L3000. Produce these in 1/16th and watch the sales climb.

Ex_Pat_Tanker 02-10-2012 10:02 AM

i would a a 250 or a 251 halftrack to the list also a very wanted object, are these brands will sell ?

A RC ready 251 is available ready built for only 200 euro's, its not much more expensive than a WSN M16 and only needs a steering servo and twin ESC like a sabretooth + a reciever - certainly not more expensive than my APC conversion of the WSN, with spektrum r/c gear and scorpion mini ESC's [8D]

Pershing.Driver 02-10-2012 10:17 AM

I would love a Cromwell and I am not even British! ....
Other WW2 tank I would like to see would be a Grant/Lee or a Stuart....