RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   witch is best gearbox for hl tiger 1 ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11538987-witch-best-gearbox-hl-tiger-1-a.html)

schutzstaffel 06-10-2013 08:13 AM

witch is best gearbox for hl tiger 1 ??

1 Attachment(s)
hi , decided to start up the old hl tiger 1 , left it with a damaged gear box 6 years ago , need the gearbox that wont break .
wich one do you recomand , the matotoys 3:1 , the real steel gear ones or any sugestions , want to settle the problem for good.
the metal gear uprade from matotoys did`nt last the finger test when i was instaling it ! [:'(]
also i notice that the tank does`nt turn anymore ( cicrcuit board problem ? ) any sugestions of a trouble free board for the old hl tiger ?

schutzstaffel 06-10-2013 08:15 AM

RE: witch is best gearbox for hl tiger 1 ??

can i put the tamiya gear box in it ?

Triton-50 06-10-2013 09:22 AM

Waltersons do a nice gearbox for HL, <div>
</div><div>You don't say what board you have at the mo? The Rx 18's I find are good enough.<div>
</div><div>Hope this helps</div><div>
</div><div>Stu</div></div>

Green Amphibian 06-10-2013 10:42 AM

As an upgrade I have found that the real steel gears work fine for me, even with the upgraded 400 motors I use. Taigen is marketing a new set of gearboxes with brass gears that are billed as 4:1 ratio also. I have no personal experience with those boxes however. I would also tell you that an upgrade to the electronics is probably a good idea. There are many choices beside HL that will give you more realistic functionality and 2.4 radio operation that is much safer. I guess it all depends on what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend. You might want to check out the Clark boards TK22, DBC3, El-Mod, ETC. before making a decision.

Herman

tomhugill 06-10-2013 11:15 AM

Those taigen gear boxes are just the asiatam low profile ones which have been around years. Your best bet is either go Tamiya (buy from Jason's store on eBay) or the taigen black metal 4:1s. These are a drop in fit and I've heard nothing but good things. The tamiyas will require more work but also very good!

Strato50 06-10-2013 03:15 PM

I just installed the Taigan black steel 4:1s in my Tiger, they dropped right in and work great. I have 3 sets now and all 3 are very smooth an sturdy.

Just make sure if you order them that you're getting the 'real' ones, with ball bearings on the drive shaft. I've seen too many eBay auctions listing "Brand new Taigen steel gearboxes!!" that are still the same non-bearing HengLong type with painted black pot metal... keep an eye out.

PanzerAce 06-10-2013 07:51 PM

From that middle pic that appears to be either an RX-13 or and RX-14 board.

schutzstaffel 06-11-2013 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wow , thanks a lot friends , really good replies from you all .
have the rx 14 in it ,i was one of the first who putted a fan on the rx13board(lasted 2 years with it then stopped turning ). also have another spare one , but will probably buy the rx18 board (just notice that they exist with you ;)
for the gear box , i`m checking the taigen , walterson and the tamiya and real steel , decisions..descisions...
thanks again , realy appreciated , you save me a lot of time !
on the pic , you can see the 6 years dust buid-up on the tank with my fan mod .