RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   JUNE EVENT IN DANVILLE VA the 27th-29th DO NOT MISS THIS ONE. MAY BE THE LAST (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11600174-june-event-danville-va-27th-29th-do-not-miss-one-may-last.html)

panther commander 06-11-2014 07:27 AM

JUNE EVENT IN DANVILLE VA the 27th-29th DO NOT MISS THIS ONE. MAY BE THE LAST

The June event will be a TFA event, so that means the tamiya apples will be rotated forward for every vehicle.
Inspections: If your tank takes hits like it is supposed to, can be heard from a reasonable distance, and the flash works; you are good to go.
Cost: the usual $30 per person for the whole weekend or $15 per day.
Battle Plan: K.I.S.S aka Keep It Stupid Simple. normal battles like drawing chips from the cup, we will also do night time battles along with some allied versus axis battles.
Event dates/times:
Friday the 27th. 12pm to 8pm
Saturday the 28th. 9am to 8pm
Sunday the 29th.
9am to 3pm
Do not miss this battle, it may be the last one at Danville. As you all probably know by now that the museum is moving in the next "3-5 months max" so that means the next battles set in September may not happen.
If you have never been to Danville before, now is your chance to come to this great battle. With everyone expected to be at the battle days, I am sure that someone will be able to lend a tank.
This may be the last event at the famous Danville tank museum indoor r/c tank battle field, so do not miss this. I hope to see all of you there.
-Sean F

DaveBcool 06-11-2014 09:10 AM

I'll be there!

SGTMAJMVJ 06-11-2014 09:23 AM

Dave,
Can you organize a simple elimination battle like you did a year ago? For Saturday afternoon? Cochran, Marty, Joe and I are coming up from Georgia for sure. Last Horrah!

SGTMAJMVJ 06-11-2014 09:37 AM

Bring extra cash. I'm bringing a 1:16 scale RC Uberwagen and RC full function less IR battle circuit 38(t) I might part with.

cleong 06-11-2014 11:28 AM

I will try my best to be there. Prepping my Panther as we speak.

DaveBcool 06-11-2014 11:47 AM

I am for it, but it is really up to the Fletchers, as they are running the battles that weekend.
(Thank you Sean and Jeff!)

The format, if I recall correctly was a simple round-robin.
We had 4 teams of equal tankers, and each team played 3 rounds.
After all 6 rounds, the two teams with losing records played in a Consolation round.
The two teams with the best record, played in the Final round.
(two teams will have at least 2 wins and two teams will have at least 2 losses)
Rounds were timed (10 or 15 min I think), so no one had to wait around too long.
The Consolation/Final rounds were longer (20 min. maybe)
I think the rounds looked like this…
(I'm pretty sure Dana took a pic of the board, maybe he still has it.)
Team 1 vs Team 3
2 vs 4
1 vs 2
1 vs 4
3 vs 4
2 vs 3
Consolation (2-loss team vs 2-loss team)
Final (2-win team vs 2-win team)

To me, I think the most important and challenging aspect of this format is picking teams.
It is the most fun when the teams are divided evenly in terms of numbers and abilities.
I put at least 1 experienced veteran on each team such as Dana or James etc., who could lead/talk strategy.
Then I paired fathers and sons together, for obvious reasons.
Then I tried to pair club team members together such as you and Marty for teamwork.
The rest rest was based on what I knew of ability levels, and tried to divide them equally.
I tried my best last time, but inevitably there were some who felt the teams were not fair.

So, this also really depends on who and how many come to the event.

SGTMAJMVJ 06-11-2014 12:06 PM

Double posting. Oops

thecommander 06-11-2014 12:07 PM

The Held family will be there...two or three at least.

I will reieterate what I said on the other thread regarding the AAF Tank Mus. moving.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imag...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MAUS45 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imag...post-right.png Hope they bring the Battle Field!!! It will be only 5.5 hours away from me. I still plan on going to Danville!!!!

Edit: Also meant to say I am so glad that the collection is staying together!!! Will the Gasser's be moving as well? What about Girltankett and Natasha???

From thecommander/Bob Held:

There are many, many details, restrictions, concerns and stipulations that go with taking on the responsibility of the AAF Tank Museum Collection. I know the Gassers and I am sure they will tell us the details when the time is right. I will not speculate on the other details...the Museum PX, RC tank parts & kit sales, jobs for Tasha, Daniel and Doug or the fate of that wonderful RC Tank battlefield. It is the envy of the RC tank hobby. All I will say is that we RC tankers here on RCU have been warned by the Danville "regulars" that this venue is in jeopardy and had a uncertain future.

I have been adamant as possible in motivating RC tankers to come while they can. I send out hundreds of personal invitations every year and even offer a money back guaranty. What more can I do? Pick you up at home and drive you there? Well....I've done that too.

So my RC tank brothers....

the next event (hopefully not last) is on the last weekend of June (6-27 to 29-14).

GET OFF YOUR ASSES and come.

SGTMAJMVJ 06-11-2014 12:12 PM

Dave's scenario above was a blast. I think the battles were 10 minutes. I think at the end of 10 minutes we counted tanks and hits if need for a tie to see which side won? You can split the battlefield up and run two separate battles to keep the clock moving. Anyhow it might be worth a try to have some type of competition for possibly the last event at Danville. Probably get it all done in less than two hours.

SGTMAJMVJ 06-11-2014 12:13 PM

We need to have a the biggest turn-out ever.

thecommander 06-11-2014 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SGTMAJMVJ (Post 11821917)
We need to have a the biggest turn-out ever.

I sincerely hope this will not be the last at Danville Mike, but it certainly is possible.

Historically June is a tough month with graduations and wedding and such. For those who have put it off....do I have to say it?

panther commander 06-12-2014 06:43 AM

Please make sure that everyone who usually comes to Danville comes this time. Spread the word!

lawrence b 06-12-2014 07:36 AM

I was just checking out RCU and stumbled across this thread, I am a scale R/C airplane guy, but this looks like fun. I also checked out the Tank Museum web site and it said that Saturday was for spectators but it looks like your event will be several days, when is a good day to see some tank action?
I live about 190 miles away but between your event and the museum it would make a nice weekend trip. From the photo's it looks like some really nice model work and weathering, and odd's are you won't crash your model!
Larry B

macnjam 06-12-2014 08:07 AM

I will be there with my son Jack and a friend from DC who battled with us last year (Einar).

TheBennyB 06-12-2014 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by lawrence b (Post 11822438)
I was just checking out RCU and stumbled across this thread, I am a scale R/C airplane guy, but this looks like fun. I also checked out the Tank Museum web site and it said that Saturday was for spectators but it looks like your event will be several days, when is a good day to see some tank action?
I live about 190 miles away but between your event and the museum it would make a nice weekend trip. From the photo's it looks like some really nice model work and weathering, and odd's are you won't crash your model!
Larry B

Saturday is the best day to visit the museum. You'll have time to walk around the museum and r/c tank battles will be going on throughout the day. For most people coming to the museum to r/c battle friday and sunday are travel days so tanker numbers aren't as high. That said if you can only make it friday afternoon there will still be battles going on. You won't regret visiting the AAF museum and be prepared to get into a new hobby!

thecommander 06-12-2014 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TheBennyB (Post 11822477)
Saturday is the best day to visit the museum. You'll have time to walk around the museum and r/c tank battles will be going on throughout the day. For most people coming to the museum to r/c battle friday and sunday are travel days so tanker numbers aren't as high. That said if you can only make it friday afternoon there will still be battles going on. You won't regret visiting the AAF museum and be prepared to get into a new hobby!

Please do come. It may be the last hurrah at Danville for RC Tank battle. I will loan you a IR Battle tank to try in some battles. Just give me a RC plane or heli as collateral...LOL.

I have posted on the RCU Airplane & Truck forums for our Danville events run by NEAD but never got any responses from either venue.

SGTMAJMVJ 06-12-2014 05:04 PM

Other than the news report on the AAF moving to Ohio has anyone heard or read anything on this matter from the Gasser's?

lawrence b 06-12-2014 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=thecommander;11822573]Please do come. It may be the last hurrah at Danville for RC Tank battle. I will loan you a IR Battle tank to try in some battles. Just give me a RC plane or heli as collateral...LOL.

Thank you for the invite, I'll put it on my calender and hopefully see you tank enthusiasts in Danville.

thecommander 06-13-2014 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=lawrence b;11822819]

Originally Posted by thecommander (Post 11822573)
Please do come. It may be the last hurrah at Danville for RC Tank battle. I will loan you a IR Battle tank to try in some battles. Just give me a RC plane or heli as collateral...LOL.

Thank you for the invite, I'll put it on my calender and hopefully see you tank enthusiasts in Danville.

Anytime these guys are very generous and we want you all to have fun...JUST COME TO DANVILLE.

lawrence b 06-14-2014 04:37 PM

What scale do you guys typically build your models in? I remember back in the early 70's I think I built every 1/35th scale Tamiya tank kit there was, I'm guessing you are doing the 1/16th scale or are they larger? It seems 1/6th is also a popular scale with the model tanks.
Larry B

twoplanekid 06-14-2014 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SGTMAJMVJ (Post 11822715)
Other than the news report on the AAF moving to Ohio has anyone heard or read anything on this matter from the Gasser's?

I was helping at an event today held in the Champaign Aviation hanger and no one said a word to me about tanks moving in to West Liberty which is only 10 miles to the North. I will find out more.

Rick

Green Amphibian 06-14-2014 06:39 PM

Yes, we work in 1/16 scale for our battle tanks.

Herman

Dana Lowell 06-14-2014 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent the morning at the AAF Tank Museum in Danville. I joined Doug, Randy, Dave and Mark for a battlefield workday.

Plus we had a chance to speak with the museum curator about the future of the museum. All I can say today is that when the deal is finalized in a couple weeks there will be an official announcement from the museum. Please wait for that.

Meanwhile, we built 4 new sniper mountains, like the one you see here next to the pond. These hills should help stir up some excitement during what MIGHT be our final battle weekend here. Hope to see you all at Danville in two weeks!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2005042

panther commander 06-16-2014 11:13 AM

so what will become of the battlefield?

SGTMAJMVJ 06-16-2014 11:22 AM

It would be nice to have the answer either during the June event of 27-29 June or prior.