RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   How can I get my Abrams to look like this? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11620623-how-can-i-get-my-abrams-look-like.html)

Pah co chu puk 08-12-2015 09:48 AM

How can I get my Abrams to look like this?

1 Attachment(s)
I think these antenna lights are cool. Anyone know a way to rig lights like this?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2114144

dgsselkirk 08-12-2015 09:58 AM

Fiber optic cable. Paint it except for the last 1/2 inch should do the trick...

trackmech81 08-12-2015 10:52 AM

Good old glow sticks. I really miss my tank mechanic days in the 4th Infantry Div.

TheBennyB 08-12-2015 10:59 AM

Yea, I was thinking fiber optics as well. Or possibly some r/c car antenna tube and run wire through it for a 3mm led bulb.

gtrider6 08-12-2015 11:18 AM

Chem lights....i would guess a fiber optic light for your application. My M88 always had purple chem lights at the range or IR chem lights in Iraq.

Rex Ross 08-12-2015 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gtrider6 (Post 12083485)
Chem lights....i would guess a fiber optic light for your application. My M88 always had purple chem lights at the range or IR chem lights in Iraq.

What was the purpose of those lights and their color? Just for training or something?

rex

gtrider6 08-12-2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Ross (Post 12083491)
What was the purpose of those lights and their color? Just for training or something?

rex

They can be used for anything from platoon identification to tank identification. In Iraq we did not use visible chem lights because they are easy to see, mostly Infrared. That picture looks like either NTC or kuwait.

Pah co chu puk 08-12-2015 12:49 PM

Glow sticks... like my kid plays with? Is duct tape the fastener?

I like the fiber optic idea.

gtrider6 08-12-2015 12:56 PM

They are called chem lights. Littlw more powerful then what your kid plays with. We used 100 mph tape on our tracks or had 550 cord to hold them up.

Fiberoptic line will have to be cut at the end and sharpened like a pencil to give it the same effect.

Pah co chu puk 08-12-2015 01:30 PM

My kid says, (kids don't try this at home), that if you cut open the glow stick you can paint the goo on to stuff and it will glow. I may try that as a low tech approach. I can paint the antenna ends and get the glow effect for a while.

trackmech81 08-13-2015 09:20 AM

If you cut it, you can use the stuff inside,but it units glowing and cannot be recharged. Fiber optic or glow in dark paint may be your only options. Or use the front sight post off a tritiun night sight for an AR platform rifle.

saber77 08-13-2015 09:24 AM

there are some glow in the dark paint that you could try just not sure how long you want it to glow is all good luck. I myself was trying to think of a way to mount a flood light on mine would make it better night fighting how about it Bret that way you would know what way the guns facing lol

TheBennyB 08-13-2015 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by saber77 (Post 12083891)
there are some glow in the dark paint that you could try just not sure how long you want it to glow is all good luck. I myself was trying to think of a way to mount a flood light on mine would make it better night fighting how about it Bret that way you would know what way the guns facing lol

Never been a fan of lights on my tanks. I usually gut all that wiring first thing or in the case of Tamiya's never install them. I've always found I turn them on once for poop's and giggles and that's that, makes you stick out like a sore thumb during IR battling. In this instance though would look pretty cool to just do some night driving with the "port/starboard" lights on.

Pah co chu puk 08-13-2015 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheBennyB (Post 12083954)
Never been a fan of lights on my tanks. I usually gut all that wiring first thing or in the case of Tamiya's never install them. I've always found I turn them on once for poop's and giggles and that's that, makes you stick out like a sore thumb during IR battling. In this instance though would look pretty cool to just do some night driving with the "port/starboard" lights on.

I agree with you 100%. I just like the port / starboard lights for the cool look. I run no lights in IR battles.

mcm308 08-13-2015 01:01 PM

You can buy the tiny tritium tubes. Orange, green and blue that I know of. And then glue them to the top of antennas or something. That would be the best option I think