RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   To Eric, Imex and all Florida (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11633133-eric-imex-all-florida.html)

Merganser 10-06-2016 12:36 PM

To Erik, Imex and all Florida

I pray that Erik and his family, all the folks at Imex and all the people of Florida will weather the coming storm. I am sure that all your fans at the Tank Forum have you in their thoughts. jot

Ex_Pat_Tanker 10-06-2016 01:25 PM

Indeed, hope you all got the heck out of dodge.

2SSHoffner 10-06-2016 01:28 PM

IMEX is on the west coast actually. We're not getting near what the east coast is getting by any means.

ausf 10-06-2016 03:38 PM

I was down there for Andrew.

We were meeting up in Key Largo with a group of friends from all over the country, driving against the evacuation. Being stupid New Yorkers, we were planning on staying until Civil Defense asked for our SSN's so they could list us as dead. Message received.

We stopped overnight in Homestead at a Comfort Inn that as on US 1 at an intersection with a gas station, bar and dive shop. We were invited to a Hurricane Party at the bar, but decided to head to Daytona in the morning, jumping on the tail end of the evacuation after watching it parade by the whole day and night.

Homestead was where it hit, I was reading a dive magazine 6 months later and there was a story about the drive shop at the intersection since it was the only structure that survived for a wide stretch. I was back down there years after and it was still pretty empty.

Imex-Erik 10-07-2016 05:52 AM

Thanks guys! We are pretty lucky in the fact it is just missing us. We are about an hour north of Tampa and the storm's path is a NE direction. It rained at my house a bit last night and is sprinkling a bit now but the forecast is bright and sunny for the rest of the weekend starting this afternoon :) High winds will give me some fun flight time that is for sure!
I appreciate the thoughts guys! I just hope the second hurricane steers clear as well... I've yet to have the chance to experience a hurricane since I've lived here but have seen plenty of tropical storms. Once I even had to piggyback the gf through about a meter of water to get to my house once. My friend's property even flooded over his mailbox during the last tropical storm (his property is on a hill, they were lucky and only the garage flooded) so I'm always helping him sandbag when it gets close. I'll see if I can find one of the pictures of it, it is quite funny as the water retention pond across the street has less water than his front yard.

pcsguy88 10-07-2016 06:00 AM

Good to hear Erik!

Imex-Erik 10-07-2016 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by pcsguy88 (Post 12265242)
Good to hear Erik!

Yea I was iffy about the rain, I mean I got a few boats to test too but I cant play with my tanks or quads in the rain so it is 50/50. The boats are easy to test in the rain as I can drive them up and down the street.

pcsguy88 10-07-2016 06:53 AM

You win the internet today if you get video of you playing with an RC boat on a flooded street in the middle of a hurricane. Might just confirm what the rest of the country thinks about Floridians. :rolleyes:

Imex-Erik 10-07-2016 07:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by pcsguy88 (Post 12265263)
You win the internet today if you get video of you playing with an RC boat on a flooded street in the middle of a hurricane. Might just confirm what the rest of the country thinks about Floridians. :rolleyes:

Challenge accepted. If my street floods this weekend then I'll be out there for sure. However it isn't looking that great this time.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2184774http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2184775
The first one is of my buddy's house right before the final night of rain (it did eventually cover the mailbox and run a bit into the garage. The second is one half of my street, it actually goes pretty far down but you cant see much due to the water reflections but it is about 100 or so meters back. Also yes, those are turkeys. It isn't bow season quite yet :)
When it rains a bit more my whole street gets flooded and I can sit on the front porch and play with boats and waterproof stuff. My house is elevated a few feet from the road so I dont worry about flooding but access to and from my house is difficult during heavy storms.

superrod 10-07-2016 07:44 AM

Erik you need a rc hover craft for your house. Would be all weather.
Jimmy

Merganser 10-07-2016 07:46 AM

Best of both worlds

Time to start work on a DUKW (Duck). You could drive from your porch to the beach (street), do the boat test and then drive back. They could almost qualify as a tank since the army did put some 75 mm guns in Ducks that could be fired.

Imex-Erik 10-07-2016 08:11 AM

Well the picture of my street isn't the worst I've seen, I've had it get very close to our car on the driveway. Luckily my house and property are elevated about 6-8ft from the road so I've yet to have too much issue. The beach is only 150 or so meters from my house anyways so it would be fun. There are people near me with airboats though, if I had one I would be ripping around the neighborhood for sure!

RichJohnson 10-07-2016 08:55 AM

Thats funny, I did that too. A couple years ago here in san diego we had a super heavy bought lf rain for a couple hours that flooded streets. Our streets storm drain clogged and the street flooded a couple feet deep all the way up to garage doors. I got out my pt boat and ran it around as soon as the rain stopped, my neighbor was kyacking down the street. Good times.

Croozer 10-07-2016 09:46 AM

Erik,

Glad everything is cool.:D

Imex-Erik 10-07-2016 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2184808
guys.... we have a problem. :(

superrod 10-07-2016 04:40 PM

See my hover craft idea would still work. You could build a big one and carry tanks around.
Jimmy

pcsguy88 10-07-2016 08:11 PM

Thanks. Now I want an LCAC.

sevoblast 10-07-2016 09:18 PM

For anyone interested we have other tankers in Florida. Marty Porvaznik and his wife of Jax are fine but we don't know about his house. They were ordered to evacuate late Wednesday evening and are in central Georgia. It is possible they will be allowed to return Sunday after noon.

TheBennyB 10-08-2016 08:21 PM

Bob, thanks for the info on Marty. Got a buddy here in PA that's a line man and he had to roll out Thurs morning to head down to the area.
Already hearing he may be down there for 4-6 weeks easy to help with lines.

TheBennyB 10-08-2016 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik (Post 12265427)

What....the crappy budweiser crown...he he! Nice looking cat for sure though. Running single screw?

sevoblast 10-08-2016 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheBennyB (Post 12265691)
Bob, thanks for the info on Marty. Got a buddy here in PA that's a line man and he had to roll out Thurs morning to head down to the area.
Already hearing he may be down there for 4-6 weeks easy to help with lines.

Commo with Marty around midnight his time, he's home and the house and grounds are unscathed. My other two friends in FL, one just south of the space center on the coast and one not far below Daytona, are thankfully also damage free.

TheBennyB 10-08-2016 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by sevoblast (Post 12265698)
Commo with Marty around midnight his time, he's home and the house and grounds are unscathed. My other two friends in FL, one just south of the space center on the coast and one not far below Daytona, are thankfully also damage free.

Good to hear.