RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Taigen Tiger 1 cosmetics ideas (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11634726-taigen-tiger-1-cosmetics-ideas.html)

GermanTanker91 12-07-2016 06:08 AM

Taigen Tiger 1 cosmetics ideas

I recently got my taigen Tiger 1 late plastic edition running again after a chain of unluckyness occurred and I want to dress it up a bit and I'm not sure where to start. It's the grey one and I like doing the DIY things and I'm just looking for some ideas on what to put on it.

Thanks

tinviper 12-07-2016 12:49 PM

I order the aber photoetch set for mine. The middle one not the one with fenders.

Crius 12-07-2016 01:52 PM

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...psuiuazp8r.jpg

And the spare track links are metal.

Imex-Erik 12-07-2016 02:54 PM

My first mod is to make the front spare track links metal (nice one Crius). To do this you need to get a few extra track links and drill two holes but it looks so much better and you can feel safe ramming whatever you want with them :)

Crius 12-07-2016 03:03 PM

I actually don't drill the holes. I either use the stock plastic bar and just superglue it at each end (I've done this to many tanks and it's never failed yet) or I pick up the metal replacement bar and for that you do have to drill two holes to attach it, but it's also never failed me. However, with the replacement metal bar you have to remove one link.

Now that I look at in this photo, I can see I need to open up the driver's view port, eh? :rolleyes:

jarndice 12-07-2016 03:21 PM

You say it is a late model, so have you removed the excess radio aerial stowage tube ? it runs alongside the engine grill on the drivers side.
The one on the opposite side is correct and can be left untouched,
Have you fitted a radio aerial beside the Turret just by the edge of the Tank body immediately in front of the engine grill on the machine gunners/Radio operators side,?
Have you removed the two headlights from the top and fitted a single headlight in the centre, between the drivers vision slit and the Radio operators machine gun ?
The exhaust pipes on the late model Tiger 1 are without the semi circular covers but have a much smaller cover ,
The whole of the Feifal Air cleaner system should be removed
The Starting handle on the late model should be in two parts and be placed near to the Radio aerial and a Fire extinguisher should be mounted on the Radio aerial side of the Tank on the Engine grill,
The late model Tigers loading hatch is smaller and the rear mounted turret ventilation cover should be moved to the front centre of the turret,
There are many other alterations you could/should fit/fix but for that you need a good reference source.
Shaun.

GermanTanker91 12-07-2016 03:38 PM

Yes all of that is removed. I'm looking for ideas like putting a camo like cloth in areas or the logs on the side of the Sherman in the movie fury for example. The track links on the front I do like that is definitely on my list

jarndice 12-07-2016 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by GermanTanker91 (Post 12284395)
Yes all of that is removed. I'm looking for ideas like putting a camo like cloth in areas or the logs on the side of the Sherman in the movie fury for example. The track links on the front I do like that is definitely on my list

In the Russian campaign a number of Tiger 1s were photographed with logs chained onto the side fenders, these running almost the full length of the Tank.
Shaun..

ausf 12-07-2016 04:52 PM

Best bet is to search online (or in books) for photos of Tigers until you find something you're interested in and recreate it.

Main thing is don't load a bunch of netting or storage in areas that were actively used, i.e. hatches, vision ports, access and egress or covering tools.

Germans used felled tree trunks and limbs when needed in mud, mostly in Russia.

You can't go wrong if you're copying a photo.