RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Newbie here. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11640282-newbie-here.html)

Desertrat99 07-13-2017 11:50 AM

Newbie here.

Hi there. Newbie to this hobby. or looking to get into this hobby.

Found this site while searching around for info regarding RC tanks.

I am looking into getting a set of tanks and have been debating between the VS tanks and a set of Taigen tanks with the IR system .

I just cannot afford the Tamiya tanks new, but a fully assembled and RTR one that is used might work for me. I do not have the space or time to build a tank from scratch.

Another company I have found is Taigen and read that they can be modified with some Tamiya parts and circuit boards so you can join a club and battle.

I would like to get 2 tanks and possibly involved in a local club. I love in Los Angeles

THanks Eric

maillemaker 07-13-2017 12:16 PM

I love wherever I can get it. :)

Welcome to RC tanks!

Steve

Shorty54 07-13-2017 02:13 PM

Welcome Eric. You will find more information here than you'll know what to do with!
I have a few VS tanks for sale if you want to take a peek.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tank...anks-sale.html

Green Amphibian 07-13-2017 04:20 PM

Welcome Eric! The most popular scale of tanks is the 1/16 ones. The others are great things also, but if you want to join a club or group you will find that most are using 1/16. You can modify any tank to use the Tamyia protocol for battling by changing out the electronics and installing a battle unit. To see some battle footage, look for the Danville posts among others.

Herman

Desertrat99 07-13-2017 05:37 PM

Thanks.

I have ben looking around a little bit and it appears that a Taigen tank would be best or a used Tamiya if they can be found. Also found A company called Zheng along but it looks like same company as Taigen?

Would prefer a all metal tank tank if that is possible. Saw a really cool Soviet tank for sale here done by the guy in Oklahoma.

Would like a Sherman and German tank or Soviet option.

How difficult is is it to switch out the electronics on a tank. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but do not want to screw things up.

Scaleman3 07-14-2017 07:20 AM

Tank Club

LA Tanks meet the first Sunday of the month at the American Military museum in El Monte, the guy that runs the show his name is Jeff and he is very knowledgeable in all phases of tanks and tank battles, there on Facebook, LA Tanks.

As far as Tanks, Taigen is one of the best. Eric is always helpful and knows his stuff, it really depends on how much you want to spend. Used 1/16 tanks run $100.00 and up, new Tanks run $200.00 and up. Jeff with LA Tanks is the guy to talk to on used ones.

Green Amphibian 07-14-2017 08:48 AM

Changing the electronics is not as hard as it used to be. Just about everything is now plug and play. You can get a Clark or IBU that will also take the Tamyia battle unit and not have to change any of the wire connectors. Keep looking around and asking questions. Taigen is good and Eric is great to work with. Check out their scratch and dent sales for really good buys.

Herman

Desertrat99 07-14-2017 09:12 AM

Today I saw on Ebay a 1/16 rc tank Jagdpanther Ruhr Kessel area March 1945. it is a airsoft version though.

Scaleman3 07-14-2017 11:00 AM

Airsoft

1 Attachment(s)
Most 1/16 Tanks are Airsoft, you have to move up to some Taigen, Tamiya or other more expensive tanks to get IR, or find a used one. Heng Long had some for awhile but diss. them.

That tank you saw on E-bay is just a regular Heng Long tank with a nice paint job and that jery tank motion you get from them. No special electronics. $175.00 Tank.Attachment 2224316

RichJohnson 07-14-2017 11:20 AM

Also, San Diego RC Tank Battles meets about once a month too.
Our two groups always have tanks for sale. Come out before you buy.

Scaleman3 07-14-2017 11:23 AM

IR Tank

If your stuck on IR and don't mind changing out the radio look at item 391703510806 on E-bay. Great starter tank with IR and you can always upgrade to metal gears and tracks and MFU which you can get from Eric at Taigen.

OOOps, has metal gears, but there Zinc.

Pah co chu puk 07-14-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by RichJohnson (Post 12352064)
Also, San Diego RC Tank Battles meets about once a month too.
Our two groups always have tanks for sale. Come out before you buy.

Before you buy, you should go to see one of these tank club meets. You will have fun, learn a lot, and perhaps be able to get an insiders deal on a used tank.

Green Amphibian 07-14-2017 04:30 PM

I agree that going to a meet before you buy is a good idea. You can get a better understanding of what they do and maybe a lead or two on a good used tank.

Herman

Desertrat99 07-14-2017 04:38 PM

I know I am going to come out to El Monte in August and see first. I figured I should look around and see what is what with regard to parts and upgrades and what is required.

Been thinking about bout doing this for years, but have not pulled the trigger on buying a tank or two yet. Too. Any options.

Scaleman3 07-15-2017 10:16 AM

That is a good idea, get to eyeball different tanks and talk to Jeff about your budget, nothing worse than buying and then seeing something different, of course you could be like us and buy that too! LOL!

Desertrat99 07-18-2017 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scaleman3 (Post 12352253)
That is a good idea, get to eyeball different tanks and talk to Jeff about your budget, nothing worse than buying and then seeing something different, of course you could be like us and buy that too! LOL!

Ha, no idea even where to set a budget on things.
I had int need to have 3-4 tanks in total in my collection. For myself it is not the model is is customizing it to my taste is where the issues will be, as a have no skills in airbrushing for custom paint and making accessories to add on the the tank.

Was also thinking of a halfback as well as another piece.

Imex-Erik 07-18-2017 01:30 PM

I would also check out some local clubs first before buying. They will have tanks on hand and most of the time are happy to let you test drive too. You may find a great bargain there but more importantly you can get opinions from seasoned tankers and most likely the tankers you will be battling with. You may get some tips like what models run the best for the terrain, pros/cons of each model or brand, and also aftermarket electronics and their opinions and experiences with them. From there you can make a decision, but having a group close is a HUGE advantage IMO. If you are looking for an IR tank Taigen will have some and I even have some Scratch & Dent models I have not put up as well planned for later this week too I would be happy to try and help with.

Also, thanks for the kind words fellow tankers!!

Desertrat99 07-19-2017 06:10 AM

THanks for all the info.

Been looking around anyways Have to wait till August for the next meet in Los Angeles.

Found this item on Ebay. I know someone here might jump on this, but would this be a good starter tank for a newbie?

tamiya king tiger 1/16 full option rtr eBay

Scaleman3 07-19-2017 06:38 AM

It's good if you want to spend that kind of money upfront before you REALLY know if this is for you. Based on the 2 that you looked at you like German Tanks and Tamiya is one of the best, but before you spring for over $300.00 bucks I would REALLY look at Taigens. This Tank is starting at $329.00 + $55.00 shipping and may bid up for more, just my 2 cents, I would go new with Taigen and custom my own if I were spending that kind of money.

Desertrat99 07-19-2017 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scaleman3 (Post 12353227)
It's good if you want to spend that kind of money upfront before you REALLY know if this is for you. Based on the 2 that you looked at you like German Tanks and Tamiya is one of the best, but before you spring for over $300.00 bucks I would REALLY look at Taigens. This Tank is starting at $329.00 + $55.00 shipping and may bid up for more, just my 2 cents, I would go new with Taigen and custom my own if I were spending that kind of money.

Not partial to German tanks. Those so far are the only ones I have seen on Ebay. I have wanted to get a Shernan for quite some time but never pulled the trigger on it before. Ultimately, if I go ahead with things I would only want a set of 3-4 tanks. At least one Sherman, German maybe Russian and possibly a modern tank.

I have been looking at the Taigen tanks before and is it better to go with a plastic or metal version? I know about Tamiya and not partial to those,, but they are rated as the best out there on the market. Today just say there was a used one out there and figured I would ask.

As for customizing a tank. I can probably do a few things, but doing a repaint is not possible as I do not have the space or location to do any airbrushing, nor do I have a workspace to make custom parts or other items.
I would need to have someone locally help me out with the design and build.

TheBennyB 07-19-2017 08:43 AM

You will also need a 4 ch transmitter/receiver and the tamiya battle unit for that King Tiger. Around another $200. Probably looking at $600-700 when said and done with that KT if you need batts and a charger as well.
Taigen will start off much cheaper but if your planning on doing IR battling you'll have to upgrade the control board and install a battle unit as well as a Transmitter, receiver, batts and charger. Will end up being around the same $$ when done, but the tamiya KT is more set up as is for IR battling so less wrenching time spent.

Scaleman3 07-19-2017 08:55 AM

Taigen of course have ready made IR tanks, just plug and play, sounds like with limited space and so that would be the way to go. Tamiya Tank kits which come with everything you have to build and paint and cost close to $1000.00. Did you ever look at that IR tank I sent you in Post #11? Taigen has 2 IR Sherman's ready to go for $479.00.

Roboticus_Prime 07-19-2017 09:19 AM

The Taigen Sherman's are rock solid.

RichJohnson 07-19-2017 09:20 AM

Also, i just found a facebook RC tank for sale trader group. Go look for it. Frank sold a really nice early A1 sherman on ther a few weeks back.

TheBennyB 07-19-2017 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scaleman3 (Post 12353270)
Taigen of course have ready made IR tanks, just plug and play, sounds like with limited space and so that would be the way to go. Tamiya Tank kits which come with everything you have to build and paint and cost close to $1000.00. Did you ever look at that IR tank I sent you in Post #11? Taigen has 2 IR Sherman's ready to go for $479.00.

Yes they do. But if your planning on fighting with any of the clubs you need tamiya IR. Taigen doesn't support the tamiya IR code. If your not planning on battling with any clubs and just messing in your backyard the Taigens would be fine.