RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Tank turn?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11673309-tank-turn.html)

Tanque 12-26-2019 10:19 AM

Tank turn??

Why does this seem like a baaad idea?? These guys trademarked the terms Tank Turn and Tank Steer??

Tank turn?

Jerry

rgburrill 12-26-2019 02:00 PM

Perhaps not a bad idea but certainly a stupid one.

Imex-Erik 12-27-2019 12:21 PM

While I wouldn't promote this as a main selling feature I can see more than a few places this would be great. Being able to turn around in a tight area or having that precision to park a trailer is awesome. Instead of doing a 3+ point turn you could do a 0 point turn. This combined with some clever software would make parking a breeze too. While my next car/truck will not be one of those trucks I definitely will be getting an electric vehicle next versus a old combustion engine.

Fsttanks 12-27-2019 02:44 PM

A neutral turn or pivot turn for a P/U truck? I noticed they only demonstrated it on flat even soft wet terrain. Could imagine it being a bit noisy on dry concrete or asphalt. Off road without the ability to turn tires into many obstacles this type of turn could be more problematic then helpful.

Its interesting but the application for use appears very limited IMO.

Pah co chu puk 12-27-2019 06:17 PM

Off camber it would be an easy way to roll the truck.

heavyaslead 01-03-2020 09:38 AM

Takes all the skill out of doing dounuts !!!

Rear-wheel posi forever !

ksoc 01-03-2020 12:04 PM

Best line in the article -

" It's not called Donut Mode, though, and the company allegedly warned performing a tank turn on dry pavement to burn rubber will "break sh_t."

Tanque 01-03-2020 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ksoc (Post 12573621)
Best line in the article -

" It's not called Donut Mode, though, and the company allegedly warned performing a tank turn on dry pavement to burn rubber will "break sh_t."

I watched one of their intro videos in which their ceo said their drive system is putting as much as 800hp to the wheels. That much power is sure to break something if misused...

Roboticus_Prime 01-03-2020 12:35 PM

This is the result of someone in a meeting going "what if we make it skid-steer?" And the next guy going "we can't market that! Lets call it.... TANK TURN! Quick, Karen get a trademark on that!"

Imex-Erik 01-03-2020 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tanque (Post 12573632)
I watched one of their intro videos in which their ceo said their drive system is putting as much as 800hp to the wheels. That much power is sure to break something if misused...

The HP/TQ numbers are insane on electrics. Just a few more years for me and I'm making the swap. Just waiting until the charging situation is a bit easier.

Tanque 01-03-2020 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik (Post 12573658)
The HP/TQ numbers are insane on electrics. Just a few more years for me and I'm making the swap. Just waiting until the charging situation is a bit easier.

I agree, if I ever buy another car it would likely be an electric. Most charging is still done at home but before you could consider a road trip in the
traditional sense you'd need to know your route pretty well and have clearly defined charge points.

Then I doubt I'll ever go only with electric...and I do love my RS7...

Jerry