RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   HoobenTiger 1:10 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11675759-hoobentiger-1-10-scale.html)

rcpoolman 02-26-2020 06:16 AM

HoobenTiger 1:10 scale

Hi all, after building the tamiya Sheridan tank, as my first introduction to rc tanks, I had a chance to buy the hooben tiger 1, 1:10 scale, after making several repairs and now realizing why I had it at a knock down price, it is up and running. Do any of you know of a good sound system to replace the cheap and nasty thing that is in it now. Also looking to get rid of the transmitter that came with it, i am looking for a decal set to match this model, appreciate any advise . Thanks in advance

Crius 02-26-2020 06:31 AM

For just a sound system your best bet is probably the TBS Mini. It's a little pricey, but it's a very good unit. Personally, my only large-scale tank is a 1/6 hetzer and for that I used the IBU2 with the TPA amp and 2 four inch speakers. It sounds absolutely fantastic. The IBU also handles other functions, like machine-gun flash and rotation, and I use the recoil circuit to trigger the paintball Cannon. I'd love to see some photos of your new tank, and I have to admit that I'm just a little bit green. ;)

herrmill 02-27-2020 03:57 PM

I feel your pain since I'm currently working on their 1/10 Hetzer. First thing I did was bin the radio but do yourself a favor & replace the board with Clark's TK80S. Also build your own speaker with a proper box. Thats what I'm in the process of doing once I get finished detailing this little beast. Am still scratching my head why they painted this thing in 1939 era dark gray paint - red primer would be far more appropriate.

rcpoolman 02-28-2020 03:21 AM

Hooben update

Thanks for your reply, I have looked at both of your suggestions and agreed that they are a bit pricey, nothing available in the UK, so need too be sure I order the right one. Still looking for decals for this tank, so far no joy, plenty in 1:16 scale but nothing in 1:10 scale, with the weather we are having here might start looking at submarines . Apparently I can't load any photos yet, will try later. Keith.

BcuriousR 02-28-2020 06:12 AM

The IBU2U is available to you, https://www.rctankelectronics.com/st...U2U_Base_.html, and on sale. It's a great board.

Crius 02-28-2020 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BcuriousR (Post 12586038)
The IBU2U is available to you, https://www.rctankelectronics.com/st...U2U_Base_.html, and on sale. It's a great board.

Did they ever sort out the issue of not being able to disable the momentum feature on the IBU2U?

herrmill 02-28-2020 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by rcpoolman (Post 12586005)
Still looking for decals for this tank, so far no joy, plenty in 1:16 scale but nothing in 1:10 scale, with the weather we are having here might start looking at submarines.

Why not simply paint using masks you make yourself? Just scale up the numbers & insignia you want using any suitable graphics app & head to any local print shop with a digital die cut machine. Quite simple to do & looks far better, especially in this larger scale. I'm doing it for the Hetzer along with stencils for the camo pattern.

Tanque 02-28-2020 04:47 PM

These guys have a number of 1:10 decals, they're in Austria. Their adds say they don't send to the US but I don't recall if that's a hard rule or not. It seems that the 'no sales to the US' is nearly a boiler plate default for adds over there. I have found many will sell
to the US but they want you to know the postage is substantially more than what their ad says...
Decals
Worth a shot but I agree with Chuck, make stencils. you'll be happier with the result. I have a series of thin steel stencils for 1:10
and 1:16 that I bought from a guy in Germany years ago. They work pretty well but for some of the more complex insignia there
are multiple stencils that are to be aligned and used serially; like successive overlays.

Jerry

rcpoolman 02-29-2020 12:59 AM

Hooben update

Hi guys, have settled for the clark TK40 as my sound system for my tiger model. thanks for you feedback some very interesting ideas for decals. Will update when my sound system arrives and get fitted.

gp100 03-02-2020 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12586130)
Did they ever sort out the issue of not being able to disable the momentum feature on the IBU2U?

If memory serves, I believe that was an issue with the IBU3.. But I could be wrong..

tomhugill 03-02-2020 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by gp100 (Post 12586704)
If memory serves, I believe that was an issue with the IBU3.. But I could be wrong..

You are. It was an ibu2u issue which seems to have been fixed

gp100 03-03-2020 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by tomhugill (Post 12586812)
You are. It was an ibu2u issue which seems to have been fixed

I stand corrected.. Thank you for the clarification. My apologies for the bad info..