RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Question about the sturdiness/repairing required on taigen tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11686450-question-about-sturdiness-repairing-required-taigen-tanks.html)

MrAnnihilatorMK2 01-06-2021 12:31 PM

Question about the sturdiness/repairing required on taigen tanks

So I’m looking at getting an RC tank finally. I’ve been looking for a few years now and I’m finally ready to pull the trigger. I’m quite avid in the RC hobby as far as crawlers and bashers go, so I’m used to my trucks almost constantly needing parts and work, lol. Are these tanks the same? Or do they more or less just hold up as long as you don’t abuse them? Any info is appreciated. Lol they look gorgeous but I dunno if I can handle another problem child. Lol

Crius 01-06-2021 12:46 PM

I've had dozens of taigen tanks and they've always been pretty sturdy. I've had the odd piece break from routine use, like the suspension arm on one of my tigers, but on the whole they're very well built and should hold up very well with routine use. Like anything else, the more you beat on it the faster it will fail, but on the whole taigen makes a pretty bullet proof tank. If you order from Imex make sure to use the promo code RCULOVE for a free gift.

MrAnnihilatorMK2 01-06-2021 12:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I kinda assumed they were pretty sturdy. I’m looking at a metal tiger. More so to just look pretty and drive scale. Lol

Fsttanks 01-06-2021 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MrAnnihilatorMK2 (Post 12655367)
Thanks for the heads up. I kinda assumed they were pretty sturdy. I’m looking at a metal tiger. More so to just look pretty and drive scale. Lol

Having myself come from the R/C truck side of things I can say with a bit of confidence that if you drive your tanks like your crawlers then you will have just as many issues. The bright side is tanks are much easier overall to work on.

Imex-Erik 01-06-2021 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12655365)
I've had dozens of taigen tanks and they've always been pretty sturdy. I've had the odd piece break from routine use, like the suspension arm on one of my tigers, but on the whole they're very well built and should hold up very well with routine use. Like anything else, the more you beat on it the faster it will fail, but on the whole taigen makes a pretty bullet proof tank. If you order from Imex make sure to use the promo code RCULOVE for a free gift.

The RCULOVE coupon isn't live atm but you can always just say hi in the notes and that you are from RCU and I'll make sure the team does the same. There is a limit to how many coupons we can run and have live at the same time. Kinda dumb but I'm working around that. For now you can hit up our notes section and we will see it and toss in a gift. RCU has always been my favorite RC forums.

MrAnnihilatorMK2 01-06-2021 04:47 PM

I don’t plan on crawling with a tank. Lol. That’s what’s the SCXs are for. I’m just looking for a nice shelf queen since all my trucks take a beating. And thank you for the heads up Eric. I remember checking here constantly looking for details on the mid tiger, winter panzer, and the leopard. I’ve always thought you’ve been great at customer support. One of the reasons I decided on taigen to be honest. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: And busy the way, any word on how lipos would work for these tanks? Looking at the motherboard, I assume a 2s lipo would be fine with an external LVC right?

Imex-Erik 01-07-2021 06:53 AM

The current board does not have proper cutoff voltage for lipos. It could damage or destroy a 2S pack and cause a safety issue. That is the official stance of Taigen on lipos right now.

With that being said, the fact you understand what a LVC/LVA does and are aware of what that means you can probably work around the low voltage cutoff issue. It is not supported or suggested of course, but it is possible yes.

Crius 01-07-2021 07:26 AM

I've used 2S lipos with the stock board right from the start and I've never had any trouble. Of course, results will vary. :p

MrAnnihilatorMK2 01-07-2021 08:42 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.

RC_BobM 01-08-2021 05:46 PM

I think the Taigen tanks are durable. At least as good as the Tamiya. I only have the all metal M4A3 Sherman to judge by and I don't drive it everyday. But overall the tracks, drivetrain etc are very nice. Its a heavy model, and I like that. Stock electronics are a little Meh, but you can change / upgrade that. The basic Taigen tank is pretty robust (based on my sample of 1). The prices have been trending up, but so has Tamiya. I think they are good value, and if you take decent care of it you can resell it as well.
B

heritage19 01-11-2021 04:54 PM

I've had lots of problems with Taigen electronics. Not so much with the hardware but with the very small diameter wires that are used. Also, I've found many cold solder joints. My 76 mm Sherman sits idle because I can't find where a purple wire is supposed to go. So I don't have any main gun fire or barrel recoil. Ground is connected so that's not the problem. Also my first gen Panzer IV has stopped working today. Worked great yesterday. As far as general tank construction goes they've been great.

Imex-Erik 01-12-2021 06:16 AM

Hopefully this helps with the wiring. The 360 kits can be a bit small, if you guys want I can get some replacement plugs and pins so you don't have to buy a whole other 360 ring to fix one wire, shouldn't be too difficult to source most of the plugs and pins for the tank actually.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...c2f6b71935.jpg

jarndice 01-12-2021 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik (Post 12656602)
Hopefully this helps with the wiring. The 360 kits can be a bit small, if you guys want I can get some replacement plugs and pins so you don't have to buy a whole other 360 ring to fix one wire, shouldn't be too difficult to source most of the plugs and pins for the tank actually.

Now that is what I call helpful, Thank you Erik

Crius 01-13-2021 08:04 AM

I have a obtained a set of the V3 gearboxes and sometime between now and Sunday I will use some of the little tricks that I know to see if I can make them a little bit more quiet. I'll take video as I do it and I will keep you guys posted.

H2Ohaze 01-13-2021 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12656848)
I have a obtained a set of the V3 gearboxes and sometime between now and Sunday I will use some of the little tricks that I know to see if I can make them a little bit more quiet. I'll take video as I do it and I will keep you guys posted.

That's great Gary! I'm incompetent at doing videos, otherwise I would have finished off my V3 GB Sherman 76 install with one. You might find that the noise isn't terrible, but definitely there...I don't know. I think that's a subjective thing, so I tried to tap dance around it in my posts about the V3. I found the noise most noticeable at slow speeds rather than high- kind of a whine. Also in the video that I would have done, I would have demonstrated how the Sherman now has more low speed creeping control. And uphill ability.

Which tank are you swapping the V3 on?

Crius 01-13-2021 09:06 AM

I'll probably just throw them in a King Tiger for testing.

heritage19 01-14-2021 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik (Post 12656602)

Thanks for that Erik. Still can't find the problem but still trying.

jarndice 01-16-2021 05:53 PM

The Taigen Tank range is to use an English phrase "A bit of a Curate's egg" Good in parts,
The latest Taigen Panzer 4 Turret is better than Tamiya's and that's something I never thought I would say !!
But the Taigen Panzer 4 Metal hull is a pain in the backside and the ABS Body is inaccurate with it's level engine bay which should slope by 5 degrees from the Turret ring to the exhaust and with it's molded on fixtures and fittings making it a nuisance when painting the Tank.
Until recently it's novel V2/3 control board was better than the Heng Long PZ4 but the Version 6.0 of the latest Heng Long has moved the goal posts,
The Tiger 1 of both Heng Long and Taigen have from the first to the latest included 2 radio aerial stowage tubes,
One on each flank of the engine bay when the original Tank had but one and it was on the right side (Looking from the Back to the Front) and the turret is in the wrong place on the tank body BUT these failing are all fixable with a little patience and a modicum of work and as they are much cheaper than the Tamiya equivilant the little extra work to get them right is well worth it.

LasvoochTheTiger1Ace 01-17-2021 06:43 PM

I choose the early tiger due because I wanted the rubber tires and I think it is the more accurate tiger taigen makes. That would be due to the late version being based off of the early version just having adding extra parts while scrapping others