RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   New Next Gen ELMod Boards Coming Out (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11694953-new-next-gen-elmod-boards-coming-out.html)

bowlman 11-15-2021 07:22 PM

New Next Gen ELMod Boards Coming Out

Introducing ElMod FusionX and ElMod 4WD

https://elmod.eu/generation-change-i...iwdWIYZKEr7OFo

Thanks
Jimmy

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...b2497c8d5e.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...78c5f45b01.jpg

Michal_Kaczorowski 11-15-2021 11:43 PM

Looks like step back - no more external ESCs, no more brushless motors.

Rad_Schuhart 11-16-2021 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Michal_Kaczorowski (Post 12702844)
Looks like step back - no more external ESCs, no more brushless motors.

It is indeed a step back.
Also no servo controllers.
No auxiliar light.
No turret machine gun.
More expensive.

And mistakes from the past are being kept. Still, I preffer it way way more than any tamiya electronics, but is definitely a step back from the older version :(

borealis 11-16-2021 01:15 AM

But it looks very very compact

Crius 11-16-2021 02:56 AM

The high price is what kept me from trying an Elmod before this, and looking at the price of the new truck board I can see that nothing has changed. Maybe if it will go outside and cut the grass after I get done playing with it I might think about buying one, but other than that I can't see one in my future.

lposter 11-16-2021 04:20 AM

No external ESCs is a bit daft if you have some heavy tanks.

A missed opportunity I guess.

P

borealis 11-16-2021 06:38 AM

The tech data say 2x15A, 2x30A peak current

ronnie42 11-16-2021 11:42 AM

Boards for trucks? Perhaps the upgrade for the Fusion Pro will be next? Are they being dragged down due to the cheaper opposition, not everyone wants to experiment with all the custom functions and sounds. Plug and play with common settings for all tanks and a few sound sets are all most people want, look at the builds .

UPDATE JUST FOUND THIS https://elmod.eu/produkt/fx-expander/?lang=en

We have servos with this plugin.

ronnie42 11-16-2021 11:55 AM

The FX expander looks good , most servo leads are short . This gives you extra length to remove the upper without straining the servo leads.

Imex-Erik 11-16-2021 03:03 PM

Guys, you forget you can easily Y-cable ANY board that has PWM input like that. Just Y off the cable for the ESC and run that direct to the ESC and board. You will lose a few things like inertia and momentum (if that board supports it) however you can always add expo to mimic inertia a bit. This saves on the board design and considering not many use external ESCs (just us regular guys) it isn't much for us to add one. On the manufacturer's side I can see why this was omitted as it isn't that hard to recreate on the user's side and cuts down on support for that feature. Any time a customer introduces an unknown variable to the mix it gets difficult for support to diagnose and fix.
I think its not bad actually, hopefully I get to try one!

Rad_Schuhart 11-16-2021 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik (Post 12702939)
Guys, you forget you can easily Y-cable ANY board that has PWM input like that. Just Y off the cable for the ESC and run that direct to the ESC and board. You will lose a few things like inertia and momentum (if that board supports it) however you can always add expo to mimic inertia a bit. This saves on the board design and considering not many use external ESCs (just us regular guys) it isn't much for us to add one. On the manufacturer's side I can see why this was omitted as it isn't that hard to recreate on the user's side and cuts down on support for that feature. Any time a customer introduces an unknown variable to the mix it gets difficult for support to diagnose and fix.
I think its not bad actually, hopefully I get to try one!

In this case is not that easy. Elmod boards do have inertia, but also have some gear change simulation system, it really feels like a heavy vehicle. It means it takes time to start moving and to brake (up to one meter even whith the brakes set to full power!), but also when driving fowards it changes the gear up to three times and you can feel it like when driving a manual car: it decelerates (like when you press the clutch), makes the gear change sound and then accelerates again. That would be a hell to 99,9% of users to program with the radio and I don't think you could match it with the motor sounds that the board makes. Not counting most users at least in the US seems to still use 4ch non programmable craptaba radios.

Anyway I have some love/hate with that function, it is super cool, you drive your tank in very a realistic way so you will never see king tigers jackrabitting like they do in Danvile battles, but at the other hand sometimes I need to disable that function and that is not possible. That annoys me like hell and causes many crashes, specially when my children drive or when we go to a meeting with several vehicles around.

But I do understand the lack of external ESCs, because almost nobody uses it, but removing lights is not acceptable for me. I expected to have even more, so no point in having now half of them :( And then the price, my godness...

Michal_Kaczorowski 11-16-2021 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12702978)
Anyway I have some love/hate with that function, it is super cool, you drive your tank in very a realistic way so you will never see king tigers jackrabitting like they do in Danvile battles, but at the other hand sometimes I need to disable that function and that is not possible. That annoys me like hell and causes many crashes, specially when my children drive or when we go to a meeting with several vehicles around.

So elmod don't have function to turn inertia off from radio? Strange, even IBU have this option.

And I also never understand fun of IR battles when tanks move like F1 race cars. It should be like World of Tanks or War Thunder - arcade fun but with realistic speed and movement. Slow movement and inertia is, apart from sounds, is for me the best thing on modern boards.

ronnie42 11-17-2021 02:30 AM

The inertia feature? Its just like driving a car, you need to think in advance. Checking the road ahead and adjusting speed to suit, the Elmod has a safety feature to cancel the inertia its the brake . As for IR battles, i have asked on another forum about the IR emitter tube and the spread of the signal no one answered.. Tried a test using a 12 inch long 5mm brass tube and a 5 inch aluminium 8 mm tube to trigger the tv sensor. The brass tube was a narrow beam, almost had to aim directly at spot. The aluminium one was hitting within a 12 inch circle of the IR on the tv . Would imagine that the short tube in an RC battle tank must have a wider cone signal .

Rad_Schuhart 11-17-2021 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Michal_Kaczorowski (Post 12702980)
So elmod don't have function to turn inertia off from radio? Strange, even IBU have this option.

And I also never understand fun of IR battles when tanks move like F1 race cars. It should be like World of Tanks or War Thunder - arcade fun but with realistic speed and movement. Slow movement and inertia is, apart from sounds, is for me the best thing on modern boards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwRRBTXeHQ

Elmod boards have loads of functions but for some reason it is not possible to disable the inertia. The Elmod guy refuses to implement that function. I like it most of the time but sometimes is a real need to disable it and is not possible, neither from radio, computer or bluetooth. :(

Rad_Schuhart 11-17-2021 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Michal_Kaczorowski (Post 12702980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwRRBTXeHQ

Originally Posted by ronnie42 (Post 12702989)
The inertia feature? Its just like driving a car, you need to think in advance. Checking the road ahead and adjusting speed to suit, the Elmod has a safety feature to cancel the inertia its the brake . As for IR battles i have asked on another forum about the IR emitter tube and the spread of the signal . Tried a test using a 12 inch long 5mm brass tube and a 5 inch aluminium 8 mm tube to trigger the tv sensor. The brass tube was a narrow beam, almost had to aim directly at spot. The aluminium one was hitting within a 12 inch circle of the IR on the tv . Would imagine that the short tube in an RC battle tank must have a wider cone signal .

With that safety brake adjusted to 100% of power, it still takes one meter to brake when full speed, so I find it unnaceptable. Not always you can think in advance and is not so easy when driving over rough surfaces, or with children, or if you are in a RC truck diorama with 50 toys or more moving around.

ronnie42 11-17-2021 02:47 AM

you have 2 brake settings
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...3b9e45c1d0.png

Rad_Schuhart 11-17-2021 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ronnie42 (Post 12702992)

Yes man, and with both to maximum, still takes a lot to brake. And inertia and gear change cannot be disabled neither, even the minimum sometimes is too much.

Crius 11-17-2021 05:10 AM

I guess the guys at Elmod don't read the forums because I know that I refuse to buy any board where the inertia cannot be disabled and I know there are many, many RC tankers out there that are just like me. This has been discussed on several different forums and if the manufacturers would simply take the time to see what their customers are saying they would know but they need to make the inertia so it can be disabled. I'm still not sure if you can disable the inertia on the newer IBUs. There was a lot of discussion about it and I've heard different reports. Some say that Ivano fixed that and you can now disable the inertia, some say that he hasn't and the boards are still exactly the same. Until I know for sure I won't even buy another IBU and that's my very favorite board, next to the asp.

Crius 11-17-2021 05:11 AM

And I can see why the major tank manufacturers don't pay much attention because their main Market is the toy Market, but the people that are making aftermarket boards are making those boards specifically for guys like us so I really think they should be paying attention to what we have to say. But, what I think doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

oldwolf75 11-17-2021 05:23 AM

Have you emailed Thomas at elmod? I have found he is very responsive and would likely explain why they aren't set up to disable inertia.

Crius 11-17-2021 06:20 AM

It sounds like Rad has already contacted him, as he stated above that the guy at elmod refuses to implement a feature to shut down the inertia.

Rad_Schuhart 11-17-2021 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12703020)
It sounds like Rad has already contacted him, as he stated above that the guy at elmod refuses to implement a feature to shut down the inertia.

Yes, I did it, several times.
I also contacted some guys who make the sound sets for him.
No luck.

So I sold all my Elmods except one, and then upgraded with Beier.

oldwolf75 11-17-2021 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12703021)
Yes, I did it, several times.
I also contacted some guys who make the sound sets for him.
No luck.

So I sold all my Elmods except one, and then upgraded with Beier.

Did he say why? Is it technical? Philosophical? A bit of both?

ronnie42 11-17-2021 10:19 AM

Would bet that his main market is Germany. If the model tank board does not replicate the way that a tank moves(.the drive settings in the app gives you a idea of what they want ) it would not sell.
They want the best available even if its at a high cost, after all its a hobby and many don't mind spending the money.

Imex-Erik 11-17-2021 11:27 AM

Well for the gear shifting that is fairly easy too, just set up dual rates to limit max travel. If you are lucky and have something like OpenTX you can set multiple D/R settings and have as many gears as you want in theory right?
I know this bypasses the momentum and/or inertia but once again its an easy way to shift gears and with some expo it can definitely help with softening the middle of the stick range.