RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Modern Armor in Action (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11701004-modern-armor-action.html)

Crius 07-30-2022 08:21 AM

Modern Armor in Action

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, without getting into the politics, I'd like to start a conversation about the images we've been seeing coming out of Ukraine. There are a ton of videos on youtube and I'm thinking some of this stuff might make for good RC projects, especially the BM-21 rocket launcher truck.

Attachment 2272029

I've looked into this, and I think the cab from a Ural might make a good start, I could probably scratch build the rocket launcher part, and if I use the cheap 1/4 inch bottle rockets it's perfectly legal where I live (I checked with my local cops and they say as long as I don't intentionally try to hit anyone or destroy anyone's property I'm not breaking any laws). I'll have to figure out fuses and all that, and naturally any tests would have to be performed responsibly and with serious caution, but I can't get arrested for building it. Now, that's in Detroit, you guys would have to investigate the laws and ordnances where you live. If you're in the UK I'd say there ain't a snowball's chance of doing it legally, but I can't do much about that except sympathize with ya. :(

It's also become obvious that drones are going to be a huge factor in conventional warfare from here on out. I couldn't build a functional drone that small, but I can see some cool dioramas involving the guys that use the drones, and maybe a couple support trucks?

In it's day the T-72 was a real badass, but I doubt the guys that designed it ever foresaw tiny little drones dropping a high-power grenade and if hit in just the right spot ... Kablooey!! I saw one video (this one wasn't a drone strike, looked like a LAW or TOW) that must have sent the entire turret at least 20 meters into the air. I've always been into dioramas that could be simply displayed on an RC battlefield, and I can see some interesting T-72 wrecks that shouldn't be that hard to build. Sometimes I see tanks on ebay sold at very good prices because they have no electronics, one of those might make a good start and not break the bank.

So what do you guys think? Have you seen anything besides the bm21 that might make a good RC project?

sevoblast 07-30-2022 09:39 AM

No politics, agreed. I want to see you build one of these, actually both ends, the Tochka and the air defense unit that took him down. Early May right outside our little Severnaya (North Side District, one of three districts on our side of the ditch) Post on Ulitsiya Serahfimova. Grad launcher has participated in just about every known and unknown conflict for the last 50 or so years. His latest cousin, which we nick name Heat of the Sun, is an even more lethal version of the Grad and uses the same prime mover for transport and launch.

If you really want to irritate your local constabulary build an operating model of Tochka.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...2fa9fb0ea3.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d944f731d5.jpg

Ex_Pat_Tanker 07-30-2022 12:21 PM

Somebody already did the job for you Gary:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...EuLEhMt988jzgI

Crius 07-30-2022 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Martin, that should do the trick.

Bob, you mean one of these?

Attachment 2272030

That would be much more difficult, but you could probably use a small estes rocket with an "A" engine. Maybe.

bowlman 07-30-2022 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker (Post 12737621)
Somebody already did the job for you Gary:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...EuLEhMt988jzgI

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...41e8057d64.jpg

Pah co chu puk 07-31-2022 04:28 AM

All politics aside, this is a fun modeling idea.

You are right Gary, up until now we have had WW1, WW2, Cold War era, Middle East, and Modern tanks to model. Now the Modern era has Ukraine as a historical subset to model.

I got a T-90 a couple of months ago and modeled it as captured by Ukraine and pressed into service. I've always thought captured and reused tanks were an interesting modeling niche. I wanted a modern Russian tank to complement my T-34/85, so current events gave me the inspiration.

I have been thinking a Ural truck would go well with the T-90 in my shelf diorama and I like the rocket launcher idea. Sadly, bottle rockets are not legal in Colorado, so mine would have to be just for show. Oddly, the Tochka would be legal, because model rockets are legal here. What a blast that would be to drive up to some spot and launch a rocket 400 feet into the air from a RC platform! Can you send more pictures of a Tochka? Is it amphibious too?

sevoblast 07-31-2022 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12737625)
Thanks, Martin, that should do the trick.

Bob, you mean one of these?

Attachment 2272030

That would be much more difficult, but you could probably use a small estes rocket with an "A" engine. Maybe.

Yes, that is Tochka. You should see the size of the crater, as in wide and deep.

Crius 07-31-2022 01:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've also noticed that they're improvising.

Attachment 2272032

and I happen to have one of these

Attachment 2272033

And I've seen a four tube rocket launcher on the back of a truck that looked a lot like the GAZ, which I also happen to have. I think the fewer tubes would make things less complicated and a lot easier if I want it to actually fire.

Attachment 2272034

Pah co chu puk 07-31-2022 01:56 PM

Build it Gary! Make a movie of it firing rockets. Please!

tankme 07-31-2022 02:53 PM

The Toyota Hilux (IE: Tacoma in the US) is a very popular vehicle that is turned into a "technical" around the world. They make bed mounts for the US .50 M2 and the Russian 12.7 DShK. Seen them with all kinds of munitions mounted in the beds.

sevoblast 07-31-2022 03:48 PM

02:30 and a busy night. Racket woke us up, actually our youngest child Kristl'Yannah who doesn't think much of the thumps and bumps at night. The two older girls, Sophia and Ye'katarina, could care less. Aleksandr, well his thoughts are 'wake me up again and I'll bite you'. We ended up putting Sophia in Krista's room to calm the little stinker down a bit. Worked, as far as Krista is concerned Sofik is her mother.

Harquebus 08-01-2022 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12737599)
...There are a ton of videos on youtube and I'm thinking some of this stuff might make for good RC projects, especially the BM-21 rocket launcher truck.

Attachment 2272029

I've looked into this, and I think the cab from a Ural might make a good start, I could probably scratch build the rocket launcher part

I don't know if you were tracking on this, but WPL was supposed to produce a BM-21 GRAD and has had it on their site for a long time but I don't think it has come to pass (yet).
It is tentatively named B36-XXX. I think they dropped the ball and decided to produce the E1 tracked vehicle (GAZ-71).

https://www.wpl-rc.com/collections/b...31359877578786

Be interesting to see how accurate the below prototype is in regards to the real thing.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f567e104c5.png

Crius 08-02-2022 01:48 AM

I didn't know about the new missile launcher truck, but I've seen the e1. I think I might have to pick one of those up, and I'm especially interested in the one photo they have that shows the E1 on a trailer. I'm going to need a couple of those trailers.

I won't know until they come out how easy it would be to convert a model rocket launcher truck to shoot bottle rockets, but since I plan to scratch build one anyway it doesn't really matter. We'll get those rockets in the air, one way or another. :rolleyes:

And then there are the pickup trucks they've converted that should make for a couple of good models. I already have a pickup truck that I think might be a Toyota, so it should be a perfect candidate for conversion.

Crius 08-08-2022 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And we have a new contender, The Verba System

Attachment 2272127

I see a lot of stuff already available from wpl or jjrc, you'd need two Ural cabs, they already make the spare tire rack, and I think the super soft tires would be a good fit, maybe with printed rims. If they release the BM21 you could probably use a lot of the rocket launcher and its mountings, maybe replace the tubes if you want functionality. I'd have to do more research and check the wheelbase, but it looks like you wouldn't even have to stretch the frame. I think the most difficult part will be stretching the cab, but having the rockets mounted so far back will make things much easier for making it fire, and you should be able to get almost 90 degree elevation so the bottle rockets perform to their best.

Crius 08-10-2022 01:47 AM

I saw a new one last night, I don't have a picture right now but I'll post one after work, I think this truck would actually be very difficult to build. It looks a lot like a HEMMT, it has eight wheels, four axles, but it's like it has an axle at the front and an axle in the rear and then two axles in the middle. Pretty sure it'll only hold 16 missiles and from what I saw these missiles are rather large. Much larger than what's in the verba system. That one might be a bit beyond my skills, but maybe somebody out there is brave enough to try it. Like I said, I'll post photos when I get home.

I also got an email from Squadron and they now have 1/35th scale figure sets that represent the Ukrainian forces fighting today. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll scale them up to 1/16th for us.

tankme 08-10-2022 01:10 PM

There is the LARS system: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...16-wpl-jjrc-rc

Crius 08-10-2022 02:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the beast of which I speak, the BM-27

Attachment 2272133

Attachment 2272134

I think this would be tough to model, especially if you want it to be functional.

tankme 08-10-2022 04:06 PM

Saw that one in my MRLS searches. I think that one would be a pain to build. Lots of detail to reproduce.

Pah co chu puk 08-17-2022 03:54 PM

Gary sent me this 1/16 scale, die cast John Deere tractor a couple of years ago. At the time, I was at a loss as to how I would incorporate it into my model tank hobby (addiction). The scale was right, but I could not think of a tank conflict that featured tractors. It sat on a shelf, not quite fitting in with the tanks. Then came Ukraine. Tractors and tanks all over the news.

It's like Gary could see into the future. Weird. I set up these pictures to show that the tractor Gary sent me really does fit in with tanks. Thanks Gary. Enjoy.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...7d992d24d7.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...b8ce544b7e.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5a10731a9f.jpg

Crius 08-18-2022 01:50 AM

I haven't seen that thing for a while. When I sent it I thought you were planning to build some kind of farm. I did a farm in the village I built at my last house and it came out pretty good. There are absolutely tons of stuff in 1/16 scale for a farm. You can get everything from pigs and chickens to fence rails and barns.

But it's very good to see you using it, and I like what you're doing with it. It fits right in with the modern stuff. If you ever do build a farm at Tankland let me know, I've got a bunch of other cool stuff I can send out there. I would way rather see it being used on a farm built by you then doing what it is now, which is sitting on the shelf in a closet.

Pah co chu puk 08-18-2022 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crius (Post 12740343)
I haven't seen that thing for a while. When I sent it I thought you were planning to build some kind of farm. I did a farm in the village I built at my last house and it came out pretty good. There are absolutely tons of stuff in 1/16 scale for a farm. You can get everything from pigs and chickens to fence rails and barns.

But it's very good to see you using it, and I like what you're doing with it. It fits right in with the modern stuff. If you ever do build a farm at Tankland let me know, I've got a bunch of other cool stuff I can send out there. I would way rather see it being used on a farm built by you then doing what it is now, which is sitting on the shelf in a closet.

I was doing a farm. I gave the farmhouse and barn to FRAG a while ago, they show up in some of their battlefield pix. I do have a 1 /16 scale chicken. And a burro. And 4 dogs and a fox. And a camel, yes a 1/16 scale camel, And of course, a pig. A bear and a deer. I must also confess that I bought a second die cast 1/16 scale John Deere tractor. It was on sale...

I plan to do up another farm house and barn, but first, I want to finish fixing up my T-90, then there are all those 3d printed trucks to do.

Crius 08-18-2022 09:09 AM

If you do a Google search for 1/16th Ertl animals you'll find a ton of them. EBay doesn't have all that many animals, you have to get them from online toy stores, but eBay does have lots of vehicles in that scale. There's also another brand that's really good but I can't remember the name of it right now. I'll check when I get home. I think it's lil' buddy, or something like that.

Crius 08-18-2022 09:11 AM

Let me correct myself, it's "Big Farm". Their stuff is all 1/16th and they have a lot of it.

Pah co chu puk 08-18-2022 09:30 AM

I get mine from the toy section of the local ranch supply store. They have a wide variety farm animals to choose from. Toy John Deer tractors too. Go figure.

I still want to see you do a bottle rocket launching GAZ or Toyota. That would be uber cool. If bottle rockets were legal here, I would be building one myself.

sevoblast 08-18-2022 08:56 PM

For those who care. Missile shot down near Belbek Aerodrome at 02:00 this morning was Tochka U. Belbek is 8 klicks north of our house. No injuries. Pieces of the missile have already been recovered around nearby houses. Airframe shot down near Kerch Bridge on the east coast was supposedly a drone of some kind but as of dawn this day no parts recovered. No injuries to anyone. Noise from explosion of Tochka was heard as far away as Balaklava and the blast wave rattled our windows and of course frightened our three dogs.

All is calm this dawn hereabouts. City is operating as normal although any vehicle coming in to this city or this island from any quadrant and/or with Uke tags is stopped for a thorough search and document check. Scuttlebutt is TPTB will close this village tight. They be a little late in that gig.