RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Nemesis NEW Tamiya 1/16 M26 Pershing Full Function Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/2776737-nemesis-new-tamiya-1-16-m26-pershing-full-function-build.html)

nemesis4u 03-17-2005 08:10 PM

Nemesis NEW Tamiya 1/16 M26 Pershing Full Function Build

Just started on my Pershing...ANy assembly hints and suggestions..Things I should know now before I glue?? Let me know....Here goes nothing... ANyone have Pics of their M26 Pershing they can show??

rpmtech 03-17-2005 09:37 PM

RE: Tamiya 1/16 M26 Pershing Full Function

Someone did a full build review on these if you havent already seen it, But please dont paint it like his!:

http://www.dansdata.com/pershing.htm

Remember the movie"Battle Of The Bulge"? werent ALL the tanks Pershings, just the german ones were painted different and were driving backwards with the turret pointed forwards:)

Classic movie though, love the "Panzerlied" chorus part, it made the whole movie.

nemesis4u 03-21-2005 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well tonite I will attempt to post some pics of my Pershing... Not a lot assembled but not enough...so here we go....Stand by/// ;) What you see here are the assembled Road wheels with assembled suspension arms and also painted cannon barrel and also the Hull with many small pieces already glued in place..now I will be able to proceed Since I assembled and painted all these OD... ;) Watch as this baby comes together..;)

digger1976 03-23-2005 02:38 PM

Hi, everyone. I have the Pershing and the King Tiger. Had both for about a year now. The Pershing is sharp and the Tiger is a bruiser. Both kits went together well without any problems. The only hint I have to give is to make sure to follow the directions, meaning cross your T's and dot your i's or you may end up glueing a piece together only to learn a step further that a piece is supposed to go on it before glueing. Painting took the longest. All in all, it took me about 3 months to put a kit together and paint it. I do have pics but I have to figure out how to put them on this site. Sorry, I am new.
The Tiger II has a larger foot print than the Pershing therefore it travels better in the snow, mud, high carpet and steep terrain. I have noticed that the Pershing is not as capable as the Tiger II but it is has some really cool functions ie. the lights and the engine reving when you first turn it on. You can't use the Tiger II in the dark but you can with the Pershing. Any questions please ask me.

digger1976 03-23-2005 02:41 PM

I have a question for anyone that has the Pershing tank. How tight would you recomend the tracks should be? The idle wheels are a bit frustrating. I cannot find a happy medium. The tracks are either too loose or too tight. Any suggestions?

digger1976 03-23-2005 03:11 PM

Oh, and use lots of lock tight that the kit comes with. I have had screws back out on me. In addition, don't screw in screws to tight on plastic to plastic or plastic to metal pieces. You might crack the plastic pieces. I think that the cherry on the top is the machine gun on the commander's cupola. Very detailed.
You will find that the tank is very capable and can do more than you think. Not that I recommend it, but you can use the tank in just about any terrain. Water is not good but just a little standing water will not kill it. Just make sure you clean it after every use if used outside. I don't recommend using it on a surface that has little pebbles ie. like a garden. They will throw a track or even worse, break something. So far, this is the only surface I stay away from. Tall grass slows down the Pershing but not the Tiger II. It's the position of the back sprockets, they have a tendency to pull grass into the Pershings sprockets.
I do not have any comlaints about either tank so far. They are a lot of fun and powerfull. I have not modified either one with after market supplies like the all metal tracks or skirts or even put in a beefier motor. There really is no need to do this unless you disire too.

WhiteWolf McBride 03-23-2005 08:36 PM

Digger:

You'll want the renovated Pershing idler adjuster that SchumoKits makes, and is available through either www.BackyardArmor.com or www.etoArmor.com. It allows a much finer adjustment to the idler placement.

Apart from bearings in the roadwheels, I'd say the idler is the next most important upgrade to the Pershing. Daryl turner is looking at gearbox & outdrive braces, and makes various parts for the other tanks.

If you'll be using the gun a lot, you may want Daryl's machined elevation arm replacement, as some claim the stock one bends (I aint set mine up yet)

Then there is detailing... Again, BYA & ETO have parts: stowage bin handles, turret detailing parts, and some are using the Leopard tow-points on the Pershing.

And when running, you ~should~ pull the sand-skirts off... (even advises that in the manual)

I hope to have my pics up soon... Sherman, Pershing, KT & T1.

WhiteWolf,
Ottawa.On.Ca

digger1976 03-24-2005 07:58 AM

Cool McBride, That info helps. I may have to spend the extra dough. Taking the skirt off on the Pershing is a must but the King Tiger I have not once taken it off. Does not seem to interfere with anything.
As for the gun elevation unit in both the Pershing and King...the only problem that I have had is the stupid clutch was to weak. I had to mod both by making the little nubs on the clutch piece a little bigger. It was a tough jub but needed to be done. I had melted some extra plastic on the nubs and sculpted to give it more strength. I have had this fix for about 6 months now and no more issues. Tools used was a lighter and a Dremel. *I have not noticed anything bending and I have had both tanks for awhile now.*
I just wish that the gearboxes where made out of a tougher alloy. Bushings elongated and the holes are elongated too. Easily fixed by just replacing both boxes. I hate spending money, but a boy needs his toys. Now if I can only justify this with my finance.

For anyone reading this and is thinking of getting one or just got one, I stress preventive maintanance. Clean it frequently and every once in awhile thighten the screws. They should not back out but just in case. You did not spend 600 to 900 dollars for a large paper wieght.

nemesis4u 03-26-2005 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some more progress made on the Pershing.. Lots of small nuts, screws , bolts, spacers, wheels, supports and more..compare the size of the hardware to a standard size single razor blade... Last picture shows some of the support rollers assembled...

nemesis4u 03-26-2005 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the Hull with the Road Wheels and support wheels attached and suspension with springs and supports attached..I painted all these items PRIOR to assemble to minimize headaches once assembled...Lots of wheels... ;) Starting to look like something...Hmmm

nemesis4u 03-26-2005 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last for tonite..The New Style gearboxes and mounting plate went in tonite...Tomorrow will be very busy evening getting all the other electronics in as well as the sprockets and tracks.... Stay Tuned...

nemesis4u 03-27-2005 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More progress made tonite...Installed the Final Gear Case...Nice Gears...Lubed them up and installed the bushing and bearings..Next attach the Tracks..

nemesis4u 03-27-2005 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TO install the Tracks...Place an inner Sprocket and stay onto the bushing then wrap the track over the wheels and then add the outer Sprocket and align and Tighten...Not hard at all..The trick is to align the sprocket/track and tighten the bolt at the same time.. I like that one does not have to run a track pin to get the track on and off...

nemesis4u 03-27-2005 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Next Check out all the Electronics that go into these FULL FUNCTION TANKS>>>>LOTS and LOTS of wiring.. ;)
It is a rats nest of wires...No wonder we go crazy... What you see here MUST FIT into the Pershing Hull and still have room for a 3300 Mah 6 cell battery... The items below are a Multi Function Unit , DMD Control Unit, communication Cable. Headlights and Brake lights, Flash Unit for Main GUn, Machine GUn LED, Recoil Gear Unit, Turret Rotation Unit, Gun recoil unit, Receiver,Speaker Box and that is about it...whew.
One is suppose to connect the DMD/MF unit and receiver together with the Speaker to ensure it works prior to installation into the Tank...Great Idea...I learned something NEW...IDLE MODE...When your tanks revs but will not move...hehehe I could not get my Pershing lower HULL to move ...THen Ken told me to get it out of IDLE ..heehehe should have read the Classified Operations Manual...hehe

digger1976 03-28-2005 09:39 AM

Looks good! Hope you keep posting pics of your production. This is your second one right? Second Tamiya tank that is. I like the olive drab on the Pershing. It looks solid. I just took mine mud bogging. It was unintentional but fun and funny. I drove it through what I thought was some mud but did not realize that it was deeper that I thought. It drove right trough it but was a pain to clean later. I will post some pics tonight after work. The pics are from Saturday the 26th just before it went throught the mud.

digger1976 03-28-2005 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the Pershing. The last pic is of the commander for the King Tiger. And no, that is not lip stick they are wearing. It was tough mixing paint to get the right skin pigment for their lips. Although it's funny. Don't ask don't tell. Enjoy.

nemesis4u 03-29-2005 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Machine Gun assembly done with light installed,
here we go upper Hull getting the light wiring installed with silver tape, rollers for turret rotation,Turret Rotation unit and lots of tiny itsy bitsy screws for the silver brackets to hold the fenders on with...Note size of small brackets and EVER smaller screws...OOps DONT drop any...they WILL disappear into the carpet...(dont ask how I know ;) ) also note the Screen on the rear of the hull....

nemesis4u 03-29-2005 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Check this out...This is what the detailed machine gun looks like from the front of the upper hull..Wires hanging out the front and rear are for the head/tail lights.... 3rd Picture is of upper hull Before detailed parts are added..wait till tomorrow nite...Big changes .. Lastly MY P/F-82 Twin Mustang...Just got her back....go to the twin Forum to see more and a cool story on this Twin Engine Pursuit/Fighter ... Anyhow..More to come on this Pershing,,,,hoooorahhhh!

rpmtech 03-29-2005 02:34 AM

Im having visions of a .22 cal blank firing 1/16 main gun setup...[8D]

Oh how it must be nice just to assemble something for once and go play with it. One of these days a Tamiya Tiger {either one} will show up at my door with metal tracks...

digger1976 03-29-2005 11:10 AM

There is a site that I happen to stumble across awhile back that the guy had managed to put in his 1/16 King Tiger, a beebee firing device. I think he took apart a beebee or pellet hand gun and was able to stick it in the tank. He had pictures and was selling it for somewhere around 1200 dollars US. He claims that it worked but did not have a video that showed it firing. He did however have some pics of the tank and what it looked like inside the tank with the beebee gun.

nemesis4u 03-30-2005 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last nite..I started the Turret...THese are the majority of pieces for the base Turret that rotates ..Pictured is also the electric motor for gun elevation...

nemesis4u 03-30-2005 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next I assembled the gun mantle sub assemblies complete with mounting bracket for recoil,, recoil mechanism... I also gathered pieces for the turret body itself.. Note the gun FLash unit and painted sub assemblies such as the aluminum gun barrel..

nemesis4u 04-01-2005 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to put the Turret aside for a night while I finish up the Hull....
So we left off with the Pershing Stuffed with all the electronics needed for the Tank and Battery there is really NO extra room... I felt a change was needed....Thanks to many people and suggestions I decided to make room... I will cut the speaker box in 1/2 to create more room for connectors and Battery pack to fit...

nemesis4u 04-01-2005 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once the speaker box was disassembled I took it to the shop and went to Town with my trusty Dremel moto tool and reinforced wheel... Once apart I saved the cover from the 1/2 I cut off to form a new side to the speaker box I just cut... I sanded the box and then sanded and trimmed the plastic "top" to make a good side piece ...No need to buy more plastic just use what you got...the small 2 holes on the side piece will act as good air reliefs for the speaker.. Once happy with the fit I CA glued the side to the box and then installed into the Pershing...Viola/// More space in 20 minutes... ;)

nemesis4u 04-01-2005 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she sits in the 1st picture with the modified speaker box compare vs the 2nd picture stock speaker box and NO room for any thing.. Next 2 pics showing Pershing with the upper hull in place and last picture with the Front and rear lights on...Still need to add Lots of details but she is coming together...Will have her Running at the Meeting Sunday...May not have all the Markings on yet but she will be Battling...Hooorah...