RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   King Tiger Build (Finally ready to start) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/7003543-king-tiger-build-finally-ready-start.html)

hdbeast 01-31-2008 06:58 PM

King Tiger Build (Finally ready to start)

1 Attachment(s)
I had planned to start building this Tamiya King Tiger back in november and started a post called King Tiger Build, if you what to read it, here is the path to it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66..._1/key_/tm.htm I received a lot of help for the build from you guys, but had a long delay in receiving my upgrade parts. Most are now here as of yesterday, still some are on there way. So I thought it might be easier to start the post as a new one so you would not have to read the first two pages before you got to the actual starting point.

The first part is just the main assembly with a few upgrades to make it run stronger and maybe handle more abuse. but the first pics are from the day it was delivered.

hdbeast 01-31-2008 07:02 PM

RE: King Tiger Build (Finally ready to start)

1 Attachment(s)
This is just some of the metal getting primed and the first part of the assembly, also a pic of some of the upgrades to be installed.

hdbeast 01-31-2008 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These pics show what is involved in building a Tamiya, there are many parts to it but it is a very fun project. one of the first upgrades that I did was to replace as many of the stock bolts with stainless steel hex head and button hex head, I like the looks of these better. also some pics of the suspension arm assembly and the Drive Shaft Support Bearing upgrade. (the last pic)

hdbeast 01-31-2008 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next was to install the Daryl Turner Idler upgrade. The Daryl Turner gearbox mount and the gearboxes. In the one picture you can see the metal stand offs in front of the DT gearbox support that is the stock gearbox mounts.

Panther F 01-31-2008 07:38 PM

Cool, looks good! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I'll be following your build ... I have to do the same soon! ;)

hdbeast 01-31-2008 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the assembly of the rear panel, all stock execpt the hex bolts.

hdbeast 01-31-2008 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Up to here is what I did in one day. about 8hrs.+/-. This will show the construction of the Road Wheels (18) plus Idler and drive wheels, upgrades here are the Modified Wheel bushings. (brass parts) Last one is with the tracks on but not adjusted yet. It's that 5:00 hour and time to go make me a Long Island Ice Tea.

Thanks, Panther F

Leo2A6 Owner 01-31-2008 08:04 PM

remember to put sponsons on the upper hull.

hdbeast 01-31-2008 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Leo2A6 Owner

remember to put sponsons on the upper hull.
Tell me more, I read a while back you guy's talking about sponsons, but not sure I know what they are.

icecreamslick 01-31-2008 08:12 PM

Awesome build! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] It looks as though it will be just about bullet-proof. I'm waiting for the idler upgrade, as well, along with a metal elevation arm from Daryl. Thank you for posting all of your progress.

hdbeast 01-31-2008 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

Awesome build! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] It looks as though it will be just about bullet-proof. I'm waiting for the idler upgrade, as well, along with a metal elevation arm from Daryl. Thank you for posting all of your progress.
Thanks, I don't think you can beat Daryl's upgrades, I still need to cut the springs for the adjuster to work, should do that and the controls tomorrow.

Leo2A6 Owner 01-31-2008 08:17 PM

Basically under the hull is open to let rocks and debris inside. I have a couple shots of the sheet plastic i put on mine to close that up. Its simple to do .

hdbeast 01-31-2008 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Leo2A6 Owner

Basically under the hull is open to let rocks and debris inside. I have a couple shots of the sheet plastic i put on mine to close that up. Its simple to do .
Thanks Leo2A6 Owner, I put the upper hull on to see what your telling me and it's closed off with metal that came with the kit (see pic below) the only part that's open is about a 1/2" at the front. I'll see what I can do to seal that area in.

Jeff489 01-31-2008 11:56 PM

Gary,

Those upgrade parts sure look good. You are doing an excellent job!

I'm not sure if you're planning on having an operable loader hatch or not. I didn't install one, but regret it. I'm still thinking of adding it. I noticed Willy has some new cast parts for the KT on his website that include a nicely detailed loader hatch. If you haven't checked his site out very recently you might want to look at it again. Especially if you're considering an operable loader hatch. The only other place I've seen this hatch was in the infamous Stern build, and he got one from a place in Germany.

FYI, I had problems with my roadwheel hubs falling off while driving right after construction was complete. Make sure you really glue those on. I really gobbed on the glue there (the bigger the glob, the better the job ). As for my idler upgrade, DT's are recently installed, and I've got a battle coming up on the 6th of Feb. to test them out good. So far, so good (even with metal tracks). As for the sponson problem, I believe (I could be wrong) the KT used to not come with the metal plates they do now (to close up the sponson area from the tracks).

The build is looking great! Thanks for sharing with us.

blitzkrieg65 02-01-2008 12:05 AM

hdbeast

Nice Hull, very clean, and that looks like it is going to be a strong machine!

The BLitz

hdbeast 02-01-2008 12:35 AM

Hey jeff

I'm opening all hatches, It takes a little time but makes it a more detailed tank, I have either metal or resin replacement hatches for all except the large engine hatch at the rear, and I'll cut it open with thread and use the existing molded in hinge and the small circular hatch on the top of the turet (sorry not sure what it's called) will be cut open with thread also, After the electronics go in tomorrow and I finished the DT Idler, it's time for the very small PE details, and that's going to take some time. still waiting for a few parts to be shipped from ETO, but Bob E-mailed me today and said he'll get it out to ASAP.

Blitz, Thanks for your support.

Stern 02-01-2008 01:37 PM

Very good work hdbeast - looking forward to see the development ! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Jeff489 02-01-2008 02:04 PM

Are you going to use metal tracks? How about the close in defense port upgrade?

How are you planning on doing the charging circuit? (I'm not sure if you were planning one at all)

hdbeast 02-01-2008 04:28 PM

Thank you stern, I'm going to do many of the detailed upgrades that I saw you do on your King Tiger build, my wife said to say thank you for helping me spend her money too:D:D This will not have everything you did but maybe close.

Jeff489, no on the metal tracks (yet) and yes on the close in defence port upgrade, one of the five parts I'm waiting for from ETO, on the charging are you talking about being able to plug in through an opening hatch? That's what I'm looking into, Is there anything I should look out for? Thanks

So today I have not been able to work on the King[&o] Last night my Laptop screen decided to die, or half of it did, all I can use is about 6 inches of one side, and have been out looking for a new Laptop and Desktop(it's time for both to be replaced) I'll get more done on the King this weekend and post the pics.

Gary

Jeff489 02-01-2008 04:43 PM

You know where I installed the charging port, on/off switch, and headlight switch (driver and radio operator hatches). The radio operator hatch on mine is a bit crowded. Since you're opening up the hatches on the engine deck anyways, you might put the switches in there, and maybe the charging port in the escape hatch (I've seen others do that) or under the driver or radio operator hatches. No rules here, just what works.

I would avoid putting additional wires in the turret, as it will make it tougher to traverse and might cause clutch slippage. Mine had trouble fully traversing, and I had to fiddle with the wires to get the turret to traverse fully. No problems since. If you want to install the MG in the commander's turret, I'd move the battle unit to the loader's hatch. That way you can leave the mg on all the time (even during battle).

Also, be extra careful with your exhaust pipes. Just handling the completed tank can snap them off. I've snapped both of mine off, and reattached since completion. They kind of stick up in the way.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Lookin good!

hdbeast 02-01-2008 04:58 PM

Thanks Jeff

The only disadvantage is see in using the rear engine hatch for the switches and charge plug, is needing to turn the Turet out of the way to open it. but I'll look it over when I have it cut and hinged. Your right about the exhaust, I have to be careful everytime I pick it up to turn it over for the assembly.

gigantohawk 02-01-2008 05:15 PM

hdbeast, you are a very lucky boy. That's awsome kit and your build progress is staggering. I'm very envious. I can't wait to see it finished my friend. Keep posting lots of pic's as you do this and by that I mean lots of pic's !!!.

You very lucky person (damn you).

Gigantohawk

hdbeast 02-01-2008 05:21 PM

Thank You gigantohawk

I do feel like a boy when working on these tanks:D:D I'll send out lots of pics.

Gary

fv432 02-01-2008 07:05 PM

good start gary glad to see you finally got all (nearly) the bits you wanted

nice job mate will be following this one for sure as i love your builds (that sherman is wicked;))

regards Rob

hdbeast 02-01-2008 07:11 PM

Thanks fv432

Just return from the hobby shop with some needed supplies, had some computer monitor problems, but pluged the Laptop into a spare old monitor and I'm back in business.