RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   My Gift To You - Mato Toys M4A1(76)W (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/8356724-my-gift-you-mato-toys-m4a1-76-w.html)

swathdiver 01-14-2009 09:15 AM

My Gift To You - Mato Toys M4A1(76)W

Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak I can talk about a project I’ve had the honor and pleasure of working on. Some of you have noticed my decline in builds and participation in the forums, now you’ll know why!

I approached Mato Toys back in 2007 about bringing a VVSS Sherman to the hobby. We surmised the reason it hadn’t been built before was because of the VVSS bogies themselves. They would be complex and not durable enough in 1/16 scale. I scratch built some and sent them off to the factory and decided on a compromise design to get the tank built. Next, was which tank to depict? I figured the M4A1(76)W should be the first one, as they were the great hope in breaking out of the Normandy bridgehead. So this tank is from the initial batch (January-February ’44) though it does have the rear armored cover for the ventilator so it can be re-used for upcoming releases.

Speaking of releases, we have designed 16 versions of the Sherman including the different front covers, wheels, sprockets, M3 bogies, T54E1, T51 and T49 tracks with EECs, etc. At some point we’ll be releasing kits and accessories. The M4A3 with high and low bustle turrets, M4 Composite, M4 early, the M4A1 with direct vision slots, M3 Lee and Grant, M10, M36B1, M36B2, Jumbo, etc. All are ready to go depending on how well this one is received.

Ohh, we didn’t forget our British friends either! We have the Achilles Ic, Hybrid Fire Fly and the aforementioned Grant coming out for you guys too!

We’ve tried our best to get this as accurate looking as possible by consulting numerous drawings and photographs. Wish I could have consulted more of you for assistance but secrecy prevailed. Also, working through translators it was challenging to say the least!

The photos that have been released are not of the finished product. The casting texture, casting numbers and foundry marks were added after those prototypes were made. The first run will have an airsoft unit; subsequent releases will get a whole new electronics system with an IR battle System which is in development.

We hope you’ll like it and buy a couple or a platoon! The more we sell the quicker we can start releasing the others.

I would be remiss without mentioning my friend Murphy at Mato Toys. The most enthusiastic tanker I know, without Murphy's dedication this project wouldn't have been possible! Thanks Murphy!

darkith 01-14-2009 10:09 AM

RE: My Gift To You - M4A1(76)W

Heh, I figured that's what you were up to.

Any detail info on the gearboxes and suspension?

D.

fsciorelli 01-14-2009 10:15 AM

Incredibly cool Swathdiver. Can't wait too see some better photos of the initial model release.

ArmChairGeneral 01-14-2009 10:34 AM

Our very own captain of industry, now we should see some tanks we have been clamoring for, thanks James.

Paul

Dugster 01-14-2009 10:43 AM

All I can say is - WOOO WHOOO!!!

You are the Man!

and Thanks!!

bigfiver69 01-14-2009 11:16 AM

I can't wait to buy one, and then, I'll buy a Grant - that is a tank I can't WAIT to have.

Well done - that was a very cool project to be on!

Shep

Panther F 01-14-2009 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: bigfiver69

I can't wait to buy one, and then, I'll buy a Grant - that is a tank I can't WAIT to have.

Well done - that was a very cool project to be on!

Shep

Yes! And don't forget Lulubelle either!

JIDM 01-14-2009 11:46 AM

Excellent New!! A really Tanker in the project room.
Jef

blitzkrieg65 01-14-2009 12:30 PM

Sweeeeet! That is great that they listened to you!!! This has blown the doors wide open, and Heng long is still making their model ay? I am sure this competition will bring us even more variety on the Battle field!

Thanks Swathdiver!

The Blitz

Alan123 01-14-2009 12:44 PM

Great one, where are the photos?

Alan

blitzkrieg65 01-14-2009 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Alan123

Great one, where are the photos?

Alan

A couple of threads down...But just photo images no real product pics yet!!;)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83..._1/key_/tm.htm

The Blitz

kclank 01-14-2009 01:12 PM

although not a big sherman fan i give thanks to your participation and inertia for this project. this is a huge leap foward for our hobby.

Now for that M-36

jakeand 01-14-2009 01:38 PM

Swathdiver!

Could you please delay this release with 12-18 months? I have to keep up with the other new tanks/equipments first...Stug, PzIV, Jagdpanther, new EL-Mod, Asiatam metal Tiger hull and....

Just joking:D I lift my hat and bow to you sir[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

It seems to be a good year for the tank community!

Best regards

Jake

swathdiver 01-14-2009 01:43 PM

Lulubelle might be the 3rd release but that depends on the marketing experts.

Thanks for the kind words fellas! The real driving force behind this project is Murphy at Mato. He's the biggest rc tank fanatic that I know of!

One of the cool features of the tracks is that they're metal and plastic. The end connectors are metal and the rubber block sections are plastic, just like the real thing! The sprockets are metal so the end connectors won't tear them up. The EECs will come out with the metal upgrade track, first release should be the T49 3-bar cleat track. We picked tracks that were different then the Peshing and Tamiya Sherman yet still offered excellent traction. I think those 2 are the best. But no Sherman would be complete without the T51 rubber block track, that will come out with the Lee/Grant and direct vision M4A1. In real life those tanks had the T41 which was not reversible but this is acceptable compromise so you can use them on your own creations later.

fsciorelli 01-14-2009 02:28 PM

1st release - M4A1(76)W
2nd release - ?
3rd release - what's Lulubelle?

Panther F 01-14-2009 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: fsciorelli

1st release - M4A1(76)W
2nd release - ?
The M3 Lee used in the 1942 movie Sahara.

swathdiver 01-14-2009 02:43 PM

1st release - M4A1(76)W
2nd release - ?
That's up to the marketing guys really. Haven't you seen the movie Sahara? You gotta see it! A great propaganda film!

fsciorelli 01-14-2009 02:44 PM

What North Africa battle would be complet without a duel between and Pz III and a Grant? I like it

Panther F 01-14-2009 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

1st release - M4A1(76)W
2nd release - ?
That's up to the marketing guys really. Haven't you seen the movie Sahara? You gotta see it! A great propaganda film!
A propaganda film? [sm=lol.gif] [sm=lol.gif] More like a patriotic film in it's time. ;)

swathdiver 01-14-2009 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right! First we move up to 1944 and battle against Wittman, the 503rd, Tigers, PZIV H-Js and King Tigers in the bocage country in Normandy!

pattoncommander 01-14-2009 03:02 PM

Great news, James,

Better get the Lee and other models molded and ready....pretty sure these will not gather dust on the shop shelves. I want the initial Sherman and a lee. :D Like the idea of the 3 cleat steel track. Don't know of any model that has this track.

swathdiver 01-14-2009 03:11 PM

I would say both. Propaganda is simply the spreading of information that you desire. In the case of Sahara they showed that some of the Americans were citizen soldiers, they were sympathetic to the Italians, they had soldiers from all nations to show Allied unity against the Axis and of course depicted the Germans as evil, nasty racists.

Panther F 01-14-2009 03:16 PM

In any case, this is information overload James! I need to grab a beer and think about making room for all of these new toys. :D

philipat 01-14-2009 04:34 PM

Any plans for the Pacific theater Shermans, Lees and Grants? Also, how about the Korean War Shermans? Personally, I'd love to have the support tank and Easy 8s (I know, "tons out there") to go with a Pershing (M26 & M26A1) for a Korean War platoon.

swathdiver 01-14-2009 05:09 PM

Tamiya has the HVSS for the Korean era tanks. We didn't forget the pacific tankers! M4 composite with high bustle turret and T49 tracks! They also had M4A3 but I think we'll leave it to the tanker to add hull planking and cement! What fun would it be if Matorro did ALL the work for you? :D There's an early M4A2 too.

Lees and Grants should be the same as North African versions. We didn't get that CRAZY by making M3A3s and M3A5s and such! I'm sure you could scrape off the rivets and change the rear deck without too much work if you wanted an M3A3!