RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   December 7th 2009 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/9309980-december-7th-2009-a.html)

Saxondog 12-07-2009 01:38 AM

December 7th 2009

Today is the 68th year since the attack on our nation,let's remember those men who gave their all so many years ago.And on this day I hope many Americans will say a prayer for all the young men and women going in harms way to defend our nation from another attack by radical Islam,terrorist,and all the threats in this world.Pray also for our leaders who seem to of lost their will to fight,instead as they are continuing to debate over issues that can ruin the every day lives of the average American's,when they should be focused on protecting our economy,and our way of life.Today of all days we should be focused on just how much we stand to lose if we don't support our young people in harms way,and focus on the real issues that threatin to undermine the very fabric of our way of life,I hope and pray we do not lose another young life in this war.But we must FIGHT TO WIN,WITH EVERY WEAPON WE HAVE,GOD BLESS AMERICA

blitzkrieg65 12-07-2009 01:51 AM

RE: December 7th 2009

Right On Saxondog!

The Blitz

Wehrmacht39 12-07-2009 02:01 AM

I salute all the men and women who where killed on that December morning,

And may they Rest In Peace.

Flyn Chris 12-07-2009 08:09 AM

May they rest in peace and thank God that he gave President Truman the courage to end the war on the Pacific quickly. The decision to drop the atomic bombs must have weighted mightily on his soul and conscience.

On side note twenty nine years ago on this date I enlisted in the UASF and retired same date 22 years later.

tailend charlie 12-07-2009 11:42 AM

I went to the 50th anniversary of Pearl. I got to talk to a lot of vets from the Arizona, Utah, California,New Jersey and many other ships. The strange part while talking to them you could see in their eyes that day. The day that will live in infamy. They were reliving it. Telling me how they saw the faces of the Japs as they flew by. The torpedoes as they were launched at there ships. The explosions, the chaos, the screaming and bodies. Some got into real graphic tales. Most would tear up. Just listening to them first hand gave me the weirdest feelings inside. I have video of the day. The guys, the parade and the honors given to them for what they went through and came back and did for us. For are freedom. And to top it off I got to fly in a Texas AT-6 on Dec. 7 the same route the Japs took towards Pearl. How from up there Pearl was so wide open and so easy to do what they did with such high success, but we showed them. What a day, a day I will not forget a day to me that will live infamy.
Sad to say most I met there are probably gone now. May they rest in peace and know they didn't die in vein.

Richard

swathdiver 12-07-2009 12:44 PM

Thanks for posting Sax! Rather then our leaders having lost their will to fight, I would contend that they do not share traditional American values, having more in common with ideologies opposed to ours and which seek our destruction. I pray and hope that they will accept the Light of Truth and shed their deceptive and evil ways.

Everyone alive during that time remembers what they were doing when the news first came to them. Just as those born later remember what they were doing when JFK was assassinated, the Challenger exploded and 9-11-01. Everyone except George C. Marshall. Google and discover.

Before my time in this world ends, I would like to visit Pearl and the memorials on the island. Any Shermans or Stuarts on display over there?

Ron V 12-07-2009 01:12 PM

Swathdiver

The Arizona memorial is beautiful, very peaceful, and tranquil. If anyone goes to Hawaii it’s a must see.

From what I’ve seen, I have not seen any tanks over there.

whyeie 12-07-2009 02:00 PM

God Bless America!

Note: "God Bless America!" statement not an endorsement of our incompetent government that goes out of its way to violate the Constitution

Panther F 12-07-2009 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron V

From what I’ve seen, I have not seen any tanks over there.
Yes, there are at least 2 tanks there at the US Army Museum in Honolulu back when we visited in 2001.

http://www.25idl.army.mil/ArmyMuseum...ages/index.htm

http://www.hiarmymuseumsoc.org/index.html

A Type 95 Ha-Go and the M24 Chaffee. Both were displays outside the museum but later we heard they were going to expand and enclose those 2 displays, out from the weather.

We went to the Arizona Memorial, ate lunch on the Big Mo, several gifts shops and displays at Pearl Harbor and of course, walked through the USS Bowfin.

I have photos I need to scan (non-digital) and share someday. :D

- Jeff

Ron V 12-07-2009 04:45 PM

Panther F

Looks intresting, I'll have to check it out next time I'm over there.

The last time I went through the USS Bofin was in 1988. Do they still have the 10-15ft cut away model of the Bowfin in the museum?

cheap tank 12-07-2009 05:25 PM

Those people had the will to win and thank God for it if the axes hed not ben destroyed we would not be talking now. It is sad that most of them are gone and we have lost alot of good people with them. As for the goverment we have now vote them out next year and maby we will make a point of to krazy is to krazy.

Panther F 12-07-2009 05:32 PM

To be honest, I cannot remember for sure. We did and saw ALOT while we were there but I will now have to dig out that photo album and look. We took pictures of almost everything.

I did find out I was borderline claustrophobic when I went through the sub. [sm=lol.gif]

- Jeff

SCAT PATTON 12-07-2009 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few pics to remember all of our past and current heros in service. A special thanks to all WWII Pearl Vets!

sassgrunt 12-08-2009 12:58 AM

I live here and happen to work at the Shipyard. Today the Air Force had a flyover of four F-15's, and performed their 'missing man' formation, (where one of them peels off from the other three. They do it every year, and it's a very moving experience). If you go to Hickam AFB, you can still see bullet impacts to several of the buildings from that day.

We received the USS Missouri about 10 years ago, and they dock it right in line with the USS Arizona, (although it's in drydock right now, doing work on the hull). The two battleships are thought of as where the War started and ended.

If any of you do come here, try and go to the USS Utah menmorial on Ford Island as well, (none of the tour groups will take you to see it, but it's worth getting a one-day pass and driving over the Ford Island bridge to see it. They also finally opened the Pacific Air Museum on Ford Island, and that's really worth the time too.

Along with the tanks mentioned at Fort DeRussy in Waikiki (and the museum there at Battery Randolf is free and really worth going to), there is an M4A3E8 up at Schofield Barracks at the 25th Infantry museum there. It has the name "War Horse" stenciled on the side, and a turret like on the Mato Sherman, (but with a muzzle break). There is also an LVT-P5 at the entrance to Marine Corps Base Hawaii (which used to be known as Kaneohe MCB, for those of you who haven't been here in awhile). -Mike

Panther F 12-08-2009 06:30 AM

Hi Mike, I receive news letters from the Pacific Air Museum since it was opened and hope that when we return I'll make it a must see stop.

- Jeff

sassgrunt 12-08-2009 11:41 AM

Hey Jeff. Yeah, the Pacific Air Museum is getting better all the time. I know that they just pulled an SBD Dauntless out of Lake Michigan that's destined for here, after restoration in Florida. Eventually they hope to open the control tower and attached building as part of the museum as well, but so far, they've only managed the funds to get ready to re-paint it. The exhibits there are first class - you can tell that a lot of heart and soul went into each of them. I think one of my favorites is the tiny bulldozer that they brought from Niihau, where the owner used it to plow up fields all over the island, in an attempt to keep the Japanese from landing there and establishing a forward base. Fascinating stuff!

I took an older gentleman there - he used to fly B-25's at the end of the war, and then worked for the FAA for the rest of his career. When he saw the B-25 they have on exhibit there, (it's a later model that's mocked up to look like a B model, which was used on the Doolittle Raid), he got a little misty-eyed. It was VERY worth the effort.

We're losing these folks quickly, and they have a huge amount of information to share. -Mike

philipat 12-10-2009 02:21 AM

Tribute to service members in general from LtCol Oliver North, USMC (ret) presented for this Thanksgiving:

http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom...9_landing.html