RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Panzer III Asiatam Hull (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/9723935-panzer-iii-asiatam-hull.html)

BiggTony 05-10-2010 12:58 PM

Panzer III Asiatam Hull

Hey fellas,

Quick question about the Asiatam PIII hull.
I ordered this from Phil over the weekend, because I have a PIII due in this Wednesday. I have to admit, I'm a veryspontaneousbuyer. I do soak in a lot of opinions from other members here regarding upgrades and tanks to have. The thing is, I'm not sure this was a wise decision. I'm aware that those who have bought the asiatam hull love it, but is it necessary to have the PIII asiatam hull? I realize nothing is necessary so I use that term more as a performance question. Is there a vast improvement difference between the stock and asiatam hull (despite the added weight, tensioners, and suspension?) The PIII isn't a large tank to begin with, so is there tremendous flex to be concerned about, that requires an asiatam hul?

I guess what is instilling this doubt is the fact that I'm going to have a perfectly good lower half that will be unused with the metal sprockets andidlersintact. I suppose if I found a PIII top for a decent price, I'd be content with this decision. I know I would't even have this concern at all if this were the KV-1 lower half....I love that tank, it's my friggin baby!
<br type="_moz" />

Bauer66 05-10-2010 01:14 PM

RE: Panzer III Asiatam Hull

BiggTony.
Well good question. Ive ran the PZIII stock, With metal wheels and now with the Aisiatam lower. Personally for me I wouldn't have one any other way now. But that's just me. Every aspect of the Aisatam lower for the PZIII is an improvement. Compared to the Tamiya tanks I have built it runs and reacts much the same. If your looking for the best you can get out of a PZIII it really is what you want. If your just happy running your Tank and not to concerned about the extra's then you probably don't need it. I think you will be very surprised, I was.

Trev.

BiggTony 05-10-2010 01:25 PM

Thanks Trev! That's what I needed to hear! I suppose this doubt wouldn't be there if I had a chance to run it around before I ordered it. Like I said, I love my KV-1 alot, and to be honest, the hull is built so stiff, I question the need for the Asiatam hull,......but I want the best out of the KV as possible. Maybe this will be much the same for the PIII. My Tiger can sit on the shelf for all I care! Nothing but problems! lol<div>
</div><div>Did you upgrade it to the asiatam motors too? I didn't order that, cause I don't see the need for it at this moment. If not, did the HL metal gearbox drop into the asiatam hull fine?
<div>
</div><div>Anyone know where to get a PIII top? I just need the top, no turret. Planning on making a Stuig 33B or Su76i with the spare lower half.</div></div>

Bauer66 05-10-2010 01:44 PM

I used the Aisatam 3:1 boxes. I believe the gears bokes from HL did not fit but dont take that one to the bank just yet.
You will be more than pleased with that set up. I also used the speed 400 motors. Very nice runner.

BiggTony 05-10-2010 01:52 PM

<div>
</div><div>oh no.....I hope it does fit, that's extra money that I wasn't planning on spending! I asked Phil and he said that he can't recall fully, but there may need to be "tweaking" to make it work, but he's not sure....... $215 for the hull to ship...plus 80 or so for the gear box, plus 20 or so for the motors and 140 for the tank.....I'm starting to think I should have just gotten the Tamiya Pershing! lol</div>

Panther F 05-10-2010 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: BiggTony

<div>
</div><div>oh no.....I hope it does fit, that's extra money that I wasn't planning on spending! I asked Phil and he said that he can't recall fully, but there may need to be ''tweaking'' to make it work, but he's not sure....... $215 for the hull to ship...plus 80 or so for the gear box, plus 20 or so for the motors and 140 for the tank.....I'm starting to think I should have just gotten the Tamiya Pershing! lol</div>
Hmmmm, good thinking! It all adds up when you upgrade those HL's. I myself want to get the AsiaTam arms/wheels and gearbox for the KV. It's been sitting on the shelf for almost a year and it's time to start putting those parts on it. :D

BTW, you really need to get a Tamiya Pershing. It's so beautifully engineered and a blast to assemble. One of the finest kits Tamiya made and that FORD V-8 sounds HAWT!

- Jeff

BiggTony 05-10-2010 02:34 PM

I know, I keep watching it from others on the tube....that thing sounds so sick when it revs! I just wrote Phil to see I if I can cancel the order for the hull. Hopefully it hasn't shipped yet .....but he probably won't ever want me to order from him again! I think I put him through hell, answering all my questions and such. If I do end up falling in love with the PIII like I have my KV, then I will surely make that step to upgrade the hull.<div></div><div>I can't believe you've shelved your KV! I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to run that tank on a daily basis.......</div><div></div><div>I know this probably sounds sick...but I tote that tank everywhere I go! lol When I leave the house, I put it in the trunk just in case I find the time and great spot to go treading.</div>

Panther F 05-10-2010 02:43 PM

I can't believe you've shelved your KV!
I did run it when I first got it, but man I have too many things going on and I really like running my Tamiya tanks better because they are more realistic. The KV will eventually be equipped with Tamiya gear so the performance will be much better.

- Jeff

BiggTony 05-10-2010 02:48 PM

I would like to upgrade my HL KV-1 to tamiya electronics, but I haven't the slightest on how to wire this. But, once I get my hands on the Pershing, I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake. I'll surely order the Pershing by the end of this week or beginning of next, losing sleep over it!

If you go back to some of my early posts when I first came here.....I thought you guys wereloonyfor spending that much on Tamiyas....but how times have changed and things eventually make sense.lol<br type="_moz" />

Panther F 05-10-2010 02:52 PM

I would like to upgrade my HL KV-1 to tamiya electronics, but I haven't the slightest on how to wire this.
Huh? Basically you use Tamiya parts and they plug in the same way. Only difference would be the turret rotation, but you would refer to the Tamiya instructions for the proper plug-in. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. :D

- Jeff

BiggTony 05-10-2010 03:00 PM

Yeah, that's what I was unsure of. What parts from the HL would be compatible with the (T) electronics. So I would have to get a new turret rotation set up...and maybe elevation? recoil?

Bauer66 05-10-2010 03:04 PM

Been thinking on the Tamiya Pershing. Would also like to do the KV as a Beutepanzer.

Wight 05-10-2010 03:20 PM

I love my Asiatam panzer 3 hull.
It's not the stiffness of the hull but the amazing torsion bar suspension that works so beautifully and the extra weight that along with the metal tracks adds so much traction.

Steve.

Panther F 05-10-2010 03:21 PM

Yeah, that's what I was unsure of. What parts from the HL would be compatible with the (T) electronics. So I would have to get a new turret rotation set up...and maybe elevation? recoil?
Turret rotation would be perfect. I would use elevation and recoil from the Tamiya gear.

BiggTony 05-10-2010 03:24 PM

Yeah, I think after this PIII....and maybe the Stug, I'm done with German armor. I almost considered turning my KV to axis, only because of their modifications and markings.....but, I need balance! If I end up with another KV...maybe. I do want a or Stuig 33B, so...another PIII looks  to be more than a probability.

bowlman 05-10-2010 04:22 PM

The screw holes don't line up for the HL gearboxes in the Asiatam Hulls with out making a plate or buy Asiatam gearboxes .

jimmy

Panther F 05-10-2010 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: bowlman

The screw holes don't line up for the HL gearboxes in the Asiatam Hulls with out making a plate or buy Asiatam gearboxes .

jimmy
Thought there was an adaptor plate now out for this very reason?

- Jeff

Bauer66 05-10-2010 04:31 PM

Yup. Im doing the Stug on mine and just put in the Aisiatam 3:1's. She's a real Crawler now.

BiggTony 05-10-2010 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Panther F

ORIGINAL: bowlman

jimmy
Thought there was an adaptor plate now out for this very reason?

- Jeff
I think it's for the stock HL chassis. Phil made no mention of the plates that he sells to be used with the asiatam hull when I asked about HL motor compatibility. If it were something as simple asre-drillingnew screw holes, that wouldn't be a problem. But, I just seen a couple threads stating that the gearbox has issues being mounted because of bolts and screws in the hull that don't allow the standard HL metal gearbox to just drop in. Not sure if Phil has already cancelled my order but if it were something as simple as re-drilling holes, I'd get the hull. But I'm not seeing any reason for a 3:1 gear box as of yet and I'm not really sure why they are needed at all. Drove my KV in aRestaurantparking lot while the rest of the family was finishing up their meal inside. I drove up and over parking lot wheel stops with no effort and steep hills all with stock gear boxes.

Bauer66 05-10-2010 04:50 PM

BiggTony.
The 3;1's like anything else really is just a personal preferance. I like to take my tanks off the Drag strip and slow them down a bit putting all the power to good use. With the extra weight I can dig in and Climb with more control. So for me that works just fine. If your happy with what you have then go for it:D
Hey ever works for you is the best way to go. If you ever want more or something different then the option is alway's out there.
Sounds like your having a Blast and thats what it is all about.

BiggTony 05-10-2010 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Bauer66

BiggTony.
The 3;1's like anything else really is just a personal preferance. I like to take my tanks off the Drag strip and slow them down a bit putting all the power to good use. With the extra weight I can dig in and Climb with more control. So for me that works just fine. If your happy with what you have then go for it:D
Hey ever works for you is the best way to go. If you ever want more or something different then the option is alway's out there.

Yes sir, I am having a blast with tanks!
You ever sit around in the day.......and regret everything you ever bought before discovering tanks? I do this alot....no joke. I look at my big screens and say..."You know, that could have gotten me 3 Tamiyas and a HL!" My bills are nowrefereedto as "Tank deductions."I think I need help...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gif

Bauer66 05-10-2010 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Bauer66

BiggTony.

Yes sir, I am having a blast with tanks!
You ever sit around in the day.......and regret everything you ever bought before discovering tanks? I do this alot....no joke. I look at my big screens and say...''You know, that could have gotten me 3 Tamiyas and a HL!'' My bills are now refereed to as ''Tank deductions.'' I think I need help...[img][/img]

Oh Man I do that all the Time..............

What really sucks is that I have the Cash sitting here right now for Five Tamiya's. However the Wife has TWISTED my arm into Donating that to her plastic Surgeon for her new Top end Rebuild next month:D Guess my Tanks will be getting a bit dusty for a while...........Boy's and there Toy's:D

bowlman 05-10-2010 05:29 PM

Ya im the same way with computers built a lot of them the last ten years now think about how many tanks I could of had by now if would of found out about them sooner then two years ago . I have not built a pc for two years now see no reason to my quad core pc is fast for whats out there software wise .

jimmy

Bauer66 05-10-2010 05:36 PM

Well I have scrapped all but one of my other Projects for Tank's. I'm Starting A Build of the SC&H HMS Surprise from Master and commander in 1/24.
http://www.modelsailingships.com/ships/hms.html
At Times I wonder about that, Could have stacked up the Tamiya kit's instead LOL.

BiggTony 05-10-2010 05:56 PM

Trev, you have made the right choice my friend, right choice indeed! lol But it still funny that tanks come into view even when there's the option for bedroom upgrades! lol I would love to get into ships one day, but the only waters around here are beach waters and private lakes and lakes to far for me to consider driving to. There are creeks.....but you wouldn't catch me near them. Too many water moccasins around the creek banks and land filled swamps. These country boys are in the area that go skinny dippin are nuts, period!<div>
</div><div>Jimmy, I feel ya! I have unfinished sculptures that I let dry out since I discovered tanks! I'm gonna have to start all over, I can only pray my obsession subsides and lets me get back to work!</div>