Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

the Absolute Best truggy?!?!

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

the Absolute Best truggy?!?!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 PM
ironpeddler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the Absolute Best truggy?!?!

Hello all, new here. 1st post. Ihad a rc10gt back in the day and looking to get back into it again. Still a newb though and I'm sure this question has been asked a million times. What is the best truggy, not taking price into effect. Mugen, jammin, losi, ae and Im sure i missed a few. Been doing a little research lately but seems like a few different one are winning all the major races. Thoughts pointers, much appreciated.

Edit: Well i found a topic thread called "top running truggy" in here but it just seemed to turn out in a pissing match between caster and the mugen 5 w/e being the same or different. Are there any new truggy's being released soon?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: the Absolute Best truggy?!?!

I was at a hobby fair today, and looked over the new LRP buggy.. Looks pretty cool.. The LRP rep said the truggy should be out in the spring...

But that's a specialty thing.. If you want the best, right now I'd say get a Mugen or Associated.. Losis can hang, but I keep hearing everywhere how quickly they develop slop and so need more frequent replacements..

In any event, the owner/setter-upper determines more how "good" a truggy is than the brand really, at least from among the top 10 brands or so...

Money-be-no-object, I'd get a Mugen 6T, OS 25XZ, and 2x Hitec 7955's.. Can't do much better than that for starters...
Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 PM
McWolf_101

To begin, let me welcome you back to the world of RC. Secondly, let me say that this is merely my opinion, and others will have, and give, their opinions as well. That being said, I do not believe that there is an "Absolute Best" anything. The truth is, there will be pros and cons connected to ANY RC vehicle that is available, and it all depends on what you as the individual are looking for in a vehicle. At the end of the day, you take your budget and the purpose of the vehicle into consideration, buy what you WANT and can AFFORD, and just plain have a good time in this wonderful hobby. There are a great many company options, both nitro and electric, including Team Losi, Team Associated, Nanda Racing, Kyosho, Caster Racing, Hot Bodies, OFNA, Himoto Racing, Mugen Seiki, XRAY, etc, etc. Also, I believe that the attached thread may be useful. I hope that I have helped you in some way.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
rc person 577

Ya, it really depends how good of a setup you put in it and how well you can drive it.
As for servos, I would use the Hitec HV ones, HS7950TH for steering, HS7940TH for throttle
Old 10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc person 577

Ya, it really depends how good of a setup you put in it and how well you can drive it.
As for servos, I would use the Hitec HV ones, HS7950TH for steering, HS7940TH for throttle
I'd say it lies more heavily on the driver.
IMO you can give a novice the most expensive well tuned truggy, and he'd probably lose a race to someone who has been driving an older truggy who knows its characteristics. So best to one person might not cut it for the next.

Basically best is all in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I like the Jammin line, and own an older Jammin X1 (bought it after its been used and abused) I find it is the best for what I use it for, and it hasn't let me down yet, but I don't race.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I say it depends on the owner/user, for me I will always pick a Tamiya first thats why I have a Nitrage and an 801XT but I have built and driven a Hot Bodies D8T, an Associated RC8T, and a Losi 8ight T for people and I like them, I say there is no best one out there its what you feel comfortable with.

The best thing before you buy check out the parts support, if your LHS stocks and can get parts easily that should help your decision
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM
rc person 577

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

I say it depends on the owner/user, for me I will always pick a Tamiya first thats why I have a Nitrage and an 801XT but I have built and driven a Hot Bodies D8T, an Associated RC8T, and a Losi 8ight T for people and I like them, I say there is no best one out there its what you feel comfortable with.

The best thing before you buy check out the parts support, if your LHS stocks and can get parts easily that should help your decision
Just curious, Which one out of the three do you like better? which is more durable? And the least amount of where?
Thx. I am also looking for a truggy and the LHS said the RC8T was the most durable. Just curious what people other then shop owners think.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 PM
MCSRacing

i have driven losi,associated,hot bodies,mugen,xtm,xray,trf ... they are all competetive, there is no clear best truggy. it all depends on your setup and driving skill ..... i personally like the associated, but thats because of the adjustability of the truggy out of the box .. no need to buy extra end plates to tune squat,toe,castor ... the only part i break is a ocasional rear carrier, and its usually if i land a corner jump out of whack!!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 AM
iowapiper_rcp

There is a few that I would look at. Losi 8ight 2.0, Hot Bodies, Ofna Jammin X2, and if you have the cash, Mugen.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
jmaxey51

i would wait and look at the new O'donnell Z01T-SG thats coming out soon .... the current one is awesome but needs some mods, like buggy radio tray... with OD they have IMO the best customer service in the business and their quality of parts is extremely high and good, parts just do not wear or break.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
1nitrohead
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to throw out 1 more thing, They all drive a little different, for example I find the Losi to be "slow is faster" where as the AE "drive me hard to drive me fast". Of course opinions may vary. but this is the hard part, how easy can I get parts for the one that fits my driving style best?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 PM
coololdude

And you'll also find that diffrent truggy have diffrent driving characteristic its all what you like and how you'd like it to drive....money aside
Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 AM
MCSRacing

setup guys setup ... your set up dictates the handling characteristics of your truggy, aside from that its all personal preference on the brand you run. run what ya can get parts for and work on your setup!!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
GravityJunkie

Right on MCSRacing.

I find it interesting when people state that brand X turns worse than brand Y. Then the next person chimes in with the opposite. You can take that sentence and put in any other handling characteristic.

Do you want to race with your truggy? If so, what do the locals drive? If you're not a person who likes to tune setups, you may want to consider the house brand. That'll be the one that you can get the most setup info for at the track you're interested in.