Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

First rc car purchase. Need advice please

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

First rc car purchase. Need advice please

Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 PM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First rc car purchase. Need advice please

This may be my first buggy if I purchase it. Been flying planes for years but I'd like to have something to do on windy days.

I found a local sale on a Tornado s30 4wd with all the equipment with it RTR. It has an .18 SH engine with 2 speed trans. (what's sh stand for?) Supposed to have been used for a gallon of fuel but it looks nice regardless.

Is there anything good or bad I should be aware of with this car? Do you think $100 is a fair price for it and the equipment?

Thanks for any help, I'm absolutely new into cars but I'd like to get started with a reliable one.

Link to description: [link=http://www.saferwholesale.com/product-p/tornado%20s30%20nitro%20gas%20rc%20car.htm
Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 AM
jmaxey51

Default RE: First rc car purchase. Need advice please

SH is the brand of engine, the company is SH Engines... pretty good engines.... i cant really help with anything else because i dont know what it is
Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a 1/10th redcat buggy.
Only way that sucker will hit 60mph(like it claims) is if you pick it up throw it in your passenger seat and go speed down a highway...
IMO 30-35 would probably be more accurate.

The more reliable RC Buggies are the 1/8ths like the Jammin X1 CR. 1/8ths are $280+ though(but can take one hell of a beating)
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 AM
cooldriver385

Try going for like an HPI, or Team Losi, CEN Racing, or Traxxas. I haven't heard of RedCat Racing. I'm sure they're a good brand though.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 AM
jmaxey51

Cen or redcats are something to kinda stay away from... ive owned and still own one cen ( i had 2 buggies and one truggy) and the parts are hard to find and customer service kinda stinks, redcat is the same way from what i keep hearing.... for bashing or starting in racing i would get an 1/8th scale and stick to ofna or losi if your needing a RTR. ofna makes some tough buggies/truggies, good for bashing or racing. the ofna picco or jammin X1x are probably the best starter buggies IMO
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Don't listen to the noobs that pay for over priced kits..

Red Cat makes good RC's. The reason they are cheap is because they have alot of plastic parts and are generally a beginner to intermediate RC. I have 3 Red Cat's so far and i couldn't be happier with the parts availability and customer service. You can get a new Red Cat tornado for about $150 off Ebay. Their 1/8 pro line RC's are very well made and worth every penny. I just got one of their new buggies(Backdraft 3.5) and it's such a well build buggy. I almost like it more than my Monsoon. As for buying used you should always be aware when buying used. You never know what the engine has been through. I'm sure you know that.

If someone tries to steer you away from Red Cat then they probably need to pull their head out of their ass. It's a great starter/basher for a a great price.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: xDIRTYSOUTHx

Don't listen to the noobs that pay for over priced kits..

Red Cat makes good RC's. The reason they are cheap is because they have alot of plastic parts and are generally a beginner to intermediate RC. I have 3 Red Cat's so far and i couldn't be happier with the parts availability and customer service. You can get a new Red Cat tornado for about $150 off Ebay. Their 1/8 pro line RC's are very well made and worth every penny. I just got one of their new buggies(Backdraft 3.5) and it's such a well build buggy. I almost like it more than my Monsoon. As for buying used you should always be aware when buying used. You never know what the engine has been through. I'm sure you know that.

If someone tries to steer you away from Red Cat then they probably need to pull their head out of their ass. It's a great starter/basher for a a great price.
Noobs?? ok then.... but i know if you bought these so called "over priced" kits you would change your mind, redcat doesnt have anything on lets just say Ofna Picco, quality isnt even close, redcats are tough but they dont even come close to as good as the Picco... i know if you bought a true kit like the O'donnell Z01B SG you would would be amazed of it before even running it.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

There's no question all the "top" name brands make good kits. It still doesnt justify the price of half the models out there.

<- Cheap *******

Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
bigdogkanicsar

even though redcat is still a fairly new company being just a few years old, their cars are affordable but not really top of the class.
if you know what you are doing they can be just as good as any other.
a high priced RC doesn't mean it's the best.
to me AE(team associated) monster trucks could be better for what you pay.
as far as redcat goes the grade of plastics used in their manufacturing is not the best but ok for what you pay.
in my opinion the best bang for your buck would rest with an ofna buggy of sorts.
if it's an ofna RTR(ready to run) model usually the first thing you should plan on doing is replace the steering and throttle/brake servos with high torque metal gear servos( around 60$ for both ) as the rtr one aren't that spectacular.
other than that any nitro RC that you buy should get a fail safe( around 20$ ) to prevent run aways.

there are alot of sites to choose from but i usually go to towerhobbies
and get a membership and they send a ton of coupons that come in handy.

www.towerhobbies.com

a good buy and car is the TQ7 black
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUS1&P=0
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Valgath

i have the redcat earthquake 3.5 i havent had a issue with the platic parts ive bent bolts and dog bones and even broke dog bones but over all im happy with mine.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

even though redcat is still a fairly new company being just a few years old, their cars are affordable but not really top of the class.
if you know what you are doing they can be just as good as any other.
a high priced RC doesn't mean it's the best.
to me AE(team associated) monster trucks could be better for what you pay.
as far as redcat goes the grade of plastics used in their manufacturing is not the best but ok for what you pay.
in my opinion the best bang for your buck would rest with an ofna buggy of sorts.
if it's an ofna RTR(ready to run) model usually the first thing you should plan on doing is replace the steering and throttle/brake servos with high torque metal gear servos( around 60$ for both ) as the rtr one aren't that spectacular.
other than that any nitro RC that you buy should get a fail safe( around 20$ ) to prevent run aways.

there are alot of sites to choose from but i usually go to towerhobbies
and get a membership and they send a ton of coupons that come in handy.

www.towerhobbies.com

a good buy and car is the TQ7 black
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUS1&P=0
Actually I only replaced the steering servo. I found the servo on the throttle worked well enough

Anyways. xDIRTYSOUTHx

But on redcat to ofna. In the 1/8ths the redcats are only around $40-70 cheaper than the Jammin X1 CR(yes very overpriced kit, and some sites they wanted more for the backdraft than jammin...). Honestly I prefer being able to walk into hobby shops, and being able to buy my parts, or ordering from the big shops on the net than having to pray to whatever deity you believe in that whoever on ebay carries redcat parts has the parts in stock.(I've read some VERY bad things about redcats parts being out of stock alot)

Jammin X1 CR owned since febuary. Parts broken 0
Jammin X1 CRT parts broken 1 A-arm But to be fair I got this used, and it was royally abused by its last owner. Only good part was I paid only like $100 for the roller. (I wanted a roller to make BL)
So I can say I'm a very happy jammin owner

BTW Himoto, and Exceed sell the same EXACT RC's as redcat (they are all relabeled HSP vehicles) if you want one bad look at those 2 also. I also know parts #'s are identical for all 3 companies with just the suffix changed(I found that out looking for dogbones for a project) only difference I read is redcat uses SH engines which (from what I read) are a bit better than the ones exceed or himotos uses.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Valgath

truthfully i havent had any problems with getting parts for my redcat be it online or my LHS.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Valgath

truthfully i havent had any problems with getting parts for my redcat be it online or my LHS.
go to any around me they will look at you like you come from another planet

Pretty much if there is a LHS around you, and you don't want to wait for parts. Get what they stock parts for. It all depends on the person some people want parts immediately. Some don't mind the wait.
I'm kinda in the middle some RC's I want in running condition at all times others can sit broken months while I wait for parts.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
expo

Thanks for all the info guys. actually I found out the used Tornado 1/10 I was looking at was whacked and broke the steering arms at one time. I don't need that hassle being new. The more I look at cars, the more I like the bigger 1/8 size (or even bigger if i can) Do they make 4 stroke engines for the cars?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Valgath

they make a 1/5th cars with weed eater engines on them
Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 PM
kochj

1st rc car???
I would consider this...
What do you want to do with it, and what do you expect it to do??
Do you want to do competition with it??
THere are some really FUN indoor electric car racing oportunities during the winter....
I am primarly Nitro cars...but have had a change of heart, after owning nearly EVERY kind of RC car out there...NO JOke...
I am going to race indoor electric during winter....
1/8scale buggy is great for summer...but I think this will change...

People that want simplicity, and fun....YOU can NOT BEAT a Gasoline running rc...
This is where I am at..

DOn't bother with the HPI Baja....
It isn't close to the handling of the MCD 4wd buggies, cars, and rally....THese handle UNREAL!....
yes there are TONs of hopups....and cheap alum alloy upgrades...For the baja and clones but. it is a money pit...

The price on MCD buggies are very comparable....

Once people start seeing these MCD's in action.... it will cause them to stop and think, before they lay down that never ending
money pit into the HPI or cloned Baja....
It doesn't handle well... ( Guys on the forums, are trying to Redesign the steering system... Will run you 250$ for it....
WOrthit ??? YES....but there are many issues with these bajas....

Do yourself a favor, and Pick up a MCD car....don't buy anyupgrades,, you won't have to....
Take it out of the box, paint the cover... and haul all day long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfgQ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFmzi...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpOJ...eature=related

Try that with a Baja!!
An't even close....to these...
I was Going to buy a Baja,,,Then I saw these last week!....
I am returning all my Alloy upgrades...Over 400$ worth....and I don't have the Baja yet.....

Happy I can pick up the NEW MCD EVO 4 comp, and do Nothing to it except add the engine, pipe, and electrionics.....
Heck, everyone says the baja ss and the Bt, B2 exhausts are rubbish anyway... so you would end up buying that later...

I will be purchasing the new Associated TC6 when it comes out this next month...to run indoors.... Can't wait..
Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 PM
expo

[quote]ORIGINAL: kochj

1st rc car???
I would consider this...
What do you want to do with it, and what do you expect it to do??
Do you want to do competition with it??
THere are some really FUN indoor electric car racing oportunities during the winter....
I am primarly Nitro cars...but have had a change of heart, after owning nearly EVERY kind of RC car out there...NO JOke...
I am going to race indoor electric during winter....
1/8scale buggy is great for summer...but I think this will change...

People that want simplicity, and fun....YOU can NOT BEAT a Gasoline running rc...
This is where I am at..

DOn't bother with the HPI Baja....
It isn't close to the handling of the MCD 4wd buggies, cars, and rally....THese handle UNREAL!....
yes there are TONs of hopups....and cheap alum alloy upgrades...For the baja and clones but. it is a money pit...

The price on MCD buggies are very comparable....

Once people start seeing these MCD's in action.... it will cause them to stop and think, before they lay down that never ending
money pit into the HPI or cloned Baja....
It doesn't handle well... ( Guys on the forums, are trying to Redesign the steering system... Will run you 250$ for it....
WOrthit ??? YES....but there are many issues with these bajas....

Do yourself a favor, and Pick up a MCD car....don't buy anyupgrades,, you won't have to....
Take it out of the box, paint the cover... and haul all day long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfgQ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFmzi...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpOJ...eature=related

Try that with a Baja!!
An't even close....to these...
I was Going to buy a Baja,,,Then I saw these last week!....
I am returning all my Alloy upgrades...Over 400$ worth....and I don't have the Baja yet.....

Happy I can pick up the NEW MCD EVO 4 comp, and do Nothing to it except add the engine, pipe, and electrionics.....
Heck, everyone says the baja ss and the Bt, B2 exhausts are rubbish anyway... so you would end up buying that later...

I don't intend to race any car in competition. Like I said, I'm looking for something to amuse myself on windy days when flying rc planes is impossible. I travel/camp alot in the south in winter and it's tough to take a plane and all the gear with me so a car may be the way to go for some fun in the parks. Electric may even be better since there is less gear. I'm leaving my options open. Those vids are great with the mcd cars. What's the dimensions of those and what's a good source to buy them?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
cumquat

as stated prior, it depends on what you want to do. if you fly electrics then chances are your packs will work with a car or truck. for a cheap but decent entry into surface try the duratrax evader ext2 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAAMW**&P=0
its cheap and only needs battery packs and a charger.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
rc_lmd

hi there, i newly bought evader ext2, for a beginner like it was fun but i want more fun heheh.. , just droppin'  by guys. since i have maxxed motor. what would i possibly upgrade besides motor. will it be the pinion and spur gear (i want to gain more speed).
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: rc_lmd

hi there, i newly bought evader ext2, for a beginner like it was fun but i want more fun heheh.. , just droppin' by guys. since i have maxxed motor. what would i possibly upgrade besides motor. will it be the pinion and spur gear (i want to gain more speed).
it would be better suited to ask here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...m.htm#10075167