Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

new nitro owner with some problems

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

new nitro owner with some problems

Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
moezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new nitro owner with some problems

Hello all,

Im new here and to the RC nitro world. I always wanted to get in to the gas/nitro RC cars. But fear got to me when i read all about nitro powred cars need alot of care and what not, so i stayed with electric cars.

Fast forward to about 2 days ago, Iwas playing my traxxax stampede when a guy stoped and asked me if i would like to buy a nitro car, and that he had 2 cars 1 is good and the other is for parts, i thought i would take a look, and i liked what he had he wanted $200 for every thing but i offred him 100 and he accepted due to the fact he has 2 new borns coming in the house soon and doesnt want all the small parts and nitro gas laying around.

The car is a DURATRAX "RAZE" the last owner has done alot of upgrades on the car and he also gave me all the bills that he bought parts with. Along with the car, came another car that was in parts there where parts that were still brandnew sealed in the bags so for $100 i thought i got a killer deal.

He also have upgraded the engine to a AXIAL 28RR Spec 1.

I ran the car yesturday for a few runs, but had alot of problems starting the car today took me about an 1h to start it and then started to play with the high speed niddle to make it stop bogging and what not, the guy told me that the engine has 2 gears in it, and if tuned right i could hear it when 2d gear kicks in, but so far iv been playing with the car and its hella fast but i dont hear that 2d gear kick in.

A problem that im having is the engine is getting really hot to the touch some times it has reached 230 For so. I read online and stuff and some say keep the engine between 200 to 250 F and some say from 200 to 300 F

Q:
1. As for the gas, that the guy gave me its 20% nitro and 16% oil is this gas mix good for this engine?
2. does this engine have 2 gears? and what would i have to tune to be able to hear the 2d gear kick in.

Thanks all.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Default RE: new nitro owner with some problems

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...X0330-I001.pdf

this is a link to the axial .28RR engine.
read it thoroughly.
when tuning a nitro engine always make sure there is smoke emiting from the exhaust.
because you bought it used and really have no way of telling what the last guy did you should always check the needle settings to make sure you are in the right spot to begine with. the temps you listed you should be ok .
the axial .28 i have says never to go above 270 degrees and that between 240-260 is normal.

as far as hitting second gear which is in the transmission but depends on engine rpm to shift.
once you have the engine tuned properly it should shift fine.
if it still does not shift it may be a simple adjustment in the tranny.
here is the manual for the raze st

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxd77-manual.pdf

as far as 2 speed adjustments, the 2 speed is an aftermarket part, but there is probably a hole to allow access to a set screw in the tranny to adjust shift points ,usually being an allen key type screw.
counter clockwise=earlier shift
clockwise=later shift

hope this helps
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 AM
moezer

hey man thanks for the info, i just relized my car is a buggy not a truggy lol im such a noob
Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 AM
bigdogkanicsar

2 speed same with the buggy it doesn't come stock.
still aftermarket 2 speed
but here is manual for that buggy

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxd76-manual.pdf
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Being new to nitro, you will be suprised how much an "off" mix (tune) will effect your car.....whether it be shifting or starting, the tune you have is very important.  Problems you face will 90% of the time be solved with a slight adjustment of the hsn or lsn.  It took me awhile to grasp this when I first started......that my hours of frustration were solved by an 1/8th of a turn on the hsn.  Educate yourself on tunes and how lean and rich mixtures behave...you will be lost at times, but when you do find the issue you will feel silly at the frustration caused by a simple turn of a needle.

Issues can lie elswhere of course, but from my experience the tune dominates your problems especially if you are new.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
moezer

im getting a hang of the tuning a bit now, when the car is warm and i shut it off and come to turn it, it turns on with 1 pull but i was still wondering about the 2d gearing i thought i heared it last time but wasnt sure it sounded like it changed to 2d gear but after watching some youtube videos i heared how 2d gear kicks in but ima take it to the hobby shop and have them take a look at it and tell me about it more in detail
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM
bigdogkanicsar

keep us posted
Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
moezer

so i guess the buggy has only 1 gear. HELP!!!!!!!!! i got back from the hobbyshop got the car running and i started to tune it, i got to a tune that the engine was  ok not over heating and got a good speed going, when i got that i did the pinch test and the car reved up and died in 3 or 4  secs i turned the car back on, and it turned right away i gave it gas and the car just died it didnt move but it revs really really hard when i punch the throttel but the car goes slow no punch to it or any thing but it has high rpms what could this be from?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: moezer

so i guess the buggy has only 1 gear. HELP!!!!!!!!! i got back from the hobbyshop got the car running and i started to tune it, i got to a tune that the engine was ok not over heating and got a good speed going, when i got that i did the pinch test and the car reved up and died in 3 or 4 secs i turned the car back on, and it turned right away i gave it gas and the car just died it didnt move but it revs really really hard when i punch the throttel but the car goes slow no punch to it or any thing but it has high rpms what could this be from?
Could be the clutch, but I'd bet that you have a blown differential.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

so i guess the buggy has only 1 gear. HELP!!!!!!!!! i got back from the hobbyshop got the car running and i started to tune it, i got to a tune that the engine was ok not over heating and got a good speed going, when i got that i did the pinch test and the car reved up and died in 3 or 4 secs i turned the car back on, and it turned right away i gave it gas and the car just died it didnt move but it revs really really hard when i punch the throttel but the car goes slow no punch to it or any thing but it has high rpms what could this be from?
Could be the clutch, but I'd bet that you have a blown differential.

i took the clutch apart and it wasnt it, it was from the differential, the screw was loose the car is fixed now.

I have another question, the guy i bought the car from gave me 2 galons of nitro one was half and one is full well i ran out of the other one that was 20% nitro and 16% oil, but the full one that now i have to use is 20% nito and 12 oil would that effect the engine in a bad way? i already ran 1 tank on the 20, 12 oil i tuned it right and every thing seems ok does it matter if its less oil
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 AM
bigdogkanicsar

generally a higher % of oil is used during break in and then for your performance after the fact some switch to a lower oil content.
it should be ok as long as temps are good and she is running fine.
i run byrons 20% nitro/12% lube and i have no issues and to be honest i used for break in as well.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:18 AM
moezer

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

generally a higher % of oil is used during break in and then for your performance after the fact some switch to a lower oil content.
i run byrons 20% nitro/12% lube and i have no issues and to be honest i used for break in as well.

I see thanks

Ya today i ran her for about a tank and a half on the 20/12 she pulls hard "I think so" but im sure i can get more from this .28 engine but im afrade of going too lean and blowing the engine or worse but anyways thanks guys .

For my first nitro buggy its really fun, i feel bad not running my traxxas stampede lol but hes doin ok, i would rather bash hard with the gas then with the stampede since i bought the stampede new and the nirto used but down the road im looking at buying a monster trucknitro but yeah thanksagin, fun hobby but canget really expensive
Old 10-17-2010, 05:35 PM
bigdogkanicsar

I see thanks

Ya today i ran her for about a tank and a half on the 20/12 she pulls hard ''I think so'' but im sure i can get more from this .28 engine but im afrade of going too lean and blowing the engine or worse but anyways thanks guys .

For my first nitro buggy its really fun, i feel bad not running my traxxas stampede lol but hes doin ok, i would rather bash hard with the gas then with the stampede since i bought the stampede new and the nirto used but down the road im looking at buying a monster truck nitro but yeah thanks agin, fun hobby but can get really expensive
no problem.
you'll find the more you learn about nitro's in's and out's the more fun it is and the less money it costs.
electric can get just as expensive when the speed you have just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:13 PM
moezer

yeah i know what you mean, but i have a marrage date in a year or so, and i need to save up as much as i can lol after im setteled down and all, then i will have money on the side to spend lol
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
bigdogkanicsar

yeah i know what you mean, but i have a marrage date in a year or so, and i need to save up as much as i can lol after im setteled down and all, then i will have money on the side to spend lol
been there and in my third year of marriage as we speak and have more rc's now than before.
but then there are the kids and i have to get them involved but that's only initially(meaning i buy their first RC) then it's on them and their allowance.
i'll teach them but they have to do the work cuz i got my hands full with my own RC's.LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 AM
moezer

hahahaha nice dad lol but well see how it goes some times the wifes take control over us [&:][:@]
Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
bigdogkanicsar

hahahaha nice dad lol but well see how it goes some times the wifes take control over us [&:][:@]
well, really to make it work and it is WORK, you have to give and take,
as in give everything and take alot of crap! LOL
no, it aint that bad, my lady is a good woman. i'm harder to get along with and she knows it.
it all about what one is willing to accept, everyone has their querks.
as far as the wives taking control, with me it won't happen ,i'm a like it or lump it kind of guy.
pretty much untamable,and i do things when i'm ready and not before.
however that doesn't mean i won't make dinner or get my wife a drink if she asks, i like to keep her happy.
although ultimately if i'm backed into a corner, then nobody gets their way except me.LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
moezer

hahahah i know what you mean well thats how it goes get her flowers then say here hunny for you...l oh by the way i got a new rc truck "runs down stairs" lol
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
bigdogkanicsar

hahahah i know what you mean well thats how it goes get her flowers then say here hunny for you...l oh by the way i got a new rc truck ''runs down stairs'' lol
haha, yeah she don't mind me buyin RC stuff as long as i don't drain the account for such endevers.LOL
we were together for three years before we got married and she is well aware that whether or not she likes it, i'm still gonna buy it.LOL
i don't run though, i just buy and then she sees it on the bank statment.LOL
Old 10-21-2010, 12:50 AM
moezer

hahahah i know what you mean well thats how it goes get her flowers then say here hunny for you...l oh by the way i got a new rc truck ''runs down stairs'' lol
haha, yeah she don't mind me buyin RC stuff as long as i don't drain the account for such endevers.LOL
we were together for three years before we got married and she is well aware that whether or not she likes it, i'm still gonna buy it.LOL

lol nice, yeah iv been with my girl for 3 years now and 8 mons and i drive a BMW every when i first got the car i started fixing it up and she use to get upset im spening money and alot of time on the car and not her. But i finnaly got the car to the way i want it to look like and such and then i got bord so i bought the traxxaz stampede then i was stoped by a guy beside my house and he had this buggy for sale and i bought it from him for 100 bucks, he also gave me a complete parts car that was a buggy also, now she gets upset cuz im buying parts for this buggy and such lol, but after seeing that this buggy is discontinued im not going to spend alot of money on it, down the road ill be buying some thing better. I will post pics of the buggy i have, when i get the time
Old 10-21-2010, 01:11 AM
bigdogkanicsar

lol nice, yeah iv been with my girl for 3 years now and 8 mons and i drive a BMW every when i first got the car i started fixing it up and she use to get upset im spening money and alot of time on the car and not her. But i finnaly got the car to the way i want it to look like and such and then i got bord so i bought the traxxaz stampede then i was stoped by a guy beside my house and he had this buggy for sale and i bought it from him for 100 bucks, he also gave me a complete parts car that was a buggy also, now she gets upset cuz im buying parts for this buggy and such lol, but after seeing that this buggy is discontinued im not going to spend alot of money on it, down the road ill be buying some thing better. I will post pics of the buggy i have, when i get the time
lol, my wife used to make the comments here and there about me spending more time in the garage than in the house hangin with her.
i finally said ok i'll come in and hang out and watch.......................ANIMAL PLANET, MYSTERY DIAGNOSIS, KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS, THE BACHELORETTE, 19 KIDS AND COUNTING!?!?!?!?! etc.............you get the picture.
if it wasn't that it was she is glued to the computer, which i have no problem at all with any of this.
i told her if i come in the house i didn't want to hear "SHHHHH, i'm trying to hear this" or "total lack of attention from her stuck to the internet.
then i told her ,"sweety you got me for the rest of your life, no reason to wear it out so soon."
now i get no complaints and she understands better that i'm a lot happier when i'm building something whether it's RC cars, furniture, automotive work, custom aluminum parts, or just plain constructing anything.
she sees that i have to keep busy or i get myself in trouble or (because i'm observant)i tend to get on the kids for doing stuff they shouldn't be doin.

wow, sorry for he book
Old 10-21-2010, 08:57 PM
moezer

its all good, lol every time i play with the damn car some thing messes up lol.
To day my pull start broke, half of one tire riped off, and then my 12 tooth ring bell that i bought doesnt fit, then I noticed  that my engine was leaking nitro and smoking like mad, I check the engine cooler head and i find its a bit loose i tighten it and then the engine stoped turning on and i noticed that the engine was still leaking nitro after i tightend it [:@].

Took the cooling head off and found out the seal was broken and thats what lead to the fuel to leak out and make the engine smoke "and i thought it was from the seal on the exhast" SOOO, I replaced the seal with a brand new one and now the engine is turning on again, i also fixed the pull start.... the spring flew out and i stayed like 1 hr to put it together and put it back in its place, replaced the wheels/rims.

All and all it was a a ***** in the ass fixing every thing, but it was still fun, I did go threw 3 tanks of fuel before it all went to ****s lol.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM
moezer

Dyed the rims blue. Putting street tires on them when i buy them.

Dyed these purple but they came out red lol.
and the tire that riped

This is my electric stampede.

RC AT PLAY LOL.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
bigdogkanicsar

cool lookin vehicles moezer.
here is a pic of my buggy and seems to be very similar.LOL
it's a 2002 ultra mbx OFNA

i used a 18 tooth clutch bell and she rips
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I share a home with my mom and I used to here crap everytime I bought a new RC car or truck. Now you gotta understand I am a 50 year old man, I pay the bills as soon as the pay check comes etc. Its always give and take no matter what type of relationship your in, whether work, play or home life. Sometimes you have to point out the obvious, would you rather have me sitting in the bar all the time like half the guys in my town do?

You got a great deal on that buggy 100.00 and a gallon and half fuel. I own a warhead rtx, and a raze truggy, I bought new for 160.00 a year ago. I did not understand why so cheap, until a month later duratrax discontinued it and the warhead, I was steamed to say the least. Be glad you got the axial with your buggy, my luck with the super pooper has not been good.

As far as tuning on the high spd goes do it little by little 1/12 turn at time you want to see that smoke. Another sign I am running to lean is the motor sounds super crisp, actually to crisp, or it starts cutting out, this occurs of course after its been warmed up a lap or 2. It sounds like your friend gave you some great advise though. Good luck I got over 20 nitro mouths to feed all scales. I guess they will do until I find a good woman to keep me in line

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.