Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Is There anything diffrent in the losi 8 RTR and the roller besides RTR?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Is There anything diffrent in the losi 8 RTR and the roller besides RTR?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
baja devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is There anything diffrent in the losi 8 RTR and the roller besides RTR?

Hey everyone, ive been really itching to get into racing Truggies and what not. And im pretty set on the losi 8T. And i was just wondering if there was really a diffrence between the RTR version and the Roller besides that it's built for you. Or maybe if anyone had any other suggestion as far as a diffrent truck or any other info that would be helpful to a begginer.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
K_B

Default RE: Is There anything diffrent in the losi 8 RTR and the roller besides RTR?

Plastic shock caps instead of metal, two shoes on the clutch instead of four, stamped chassis and shock towers instead of thicker CNC machined parts and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM
jmaxey51

Default RE: Is There anything diffrent in the losi 8 RTR and the roller besides RTR?

ORIGINAL: K_B

Plastic shock caps instead of metal, two shoes on the clutch instead of four, stamped chassis and shock towers instead of thicker CNC machined parts and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.
i think you might be thinking of the AE one. the 8 RTR and RR are different, the chassis, towers are the biggest, the rest are just very small things that most dont realize that make a difference, RTRs are usually less quality parts and such, IMO get a RTR if your bashing and RR (race roller) if your going to race and build your own. buying an RTR and upgrading will cost you WAY more in the long run, RTR servos are junk. also the engines arent really race worthy but the losi one is pretty good for a RTR.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM
baja devil

So what would it take if i were to get the RR? like as far as parts go?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 AM
K_B

If you don't know what you need to complete a Race Roller, then I would suggest getting the 8T 2.0 RTR. It comes with everything you need to going with racing. The only thing you'd need to swap out immediately are the cheapo servos.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM
baja devil

Well you have to start somewhere, sorry i wasnt born knowing what goes into it
Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 PM
bigdogkanicsar

i don't what the differences are.
you should hit up www.losi.com to find the difference.

this link is for the 8T RTR

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0085

this link is for the RR 8T

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSA0805
Old 10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: baja devil

Well you have to start somewhere, sorry i wasnt born knowing what goes into it
Exactly. So go with the RTR which will have everything you need to get started. And the 2.0 RTR includes decent equipment. To put together everything separately would cost significantly more than the RTR. And don't be so sensitive.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 AM
baja devil

but the person above you said the RR is a cheaper way
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
xxxkat

A Kyosho ST-RR is in no way cheaper, check how much the parts are..and they have stopped making it..
Do yourself a favor and get the Losi 2.0..for an RTR it's the best one..better radio, good motor, pretty much not many differences in performance, and on the clutch it HAS 4 SHOES..2 composite and 2 aluminum..same as the roller.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: xxxkat

A Kyosho ST-RR is in no way cheaper, check how much the parts are..and they have stopped making it..
Do yourself a favor and get the Losi 2.0..for an RTR it's the best one..better radio, good motor, pretty much not many differences in performance, and on the clutch it HAS 4 SHOES..2 composite and 2 aluminum..same as the roller.
kyosho?
now i'm lost.
i don't think anyone mentioned kyosho yet
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
bjeffers77

also a race roller with good racing parts generally take more maintnace than a RTR. I would advise getting a good RTR like the eight T 2.0 first untill you get the hang of what it takes to maintain and race one.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

If I were you I would look on eBay or here on rcu. In a race roller you get the option of choosing your radio equipment, engine, and pipe. To say that a race roller is cheaper than an rtr is really in the eye of the beholder. There are soooo many options out there. My pesonal experience is that I bought an 8ight-t roller for $225. I was able to find my dream engine ( an os 28xz ) used for $100 with an os 2060 pipe. I then bought a decent steering servo and a nice starter box that totaled about $150. I have been using a radio and reciever from my revo, I plan to upgrade.

Long story short. I was able to get the truggy I wanted with all the upgrades I wanted for far less than an rtr. It's no $800 2.0 but it's sure one fun fast truggy. I would look at used if you really know what you want. You can save cash and use what you save to upgrade.

That's my opinion.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
romax

I think what maxey was saying is that if you buy the rtr then upgrade it to the race roller specs . it would cost more , but i have seen some guys be pretty competitive at club races with the rtr . The stock servos usually don't last very long and you def . won't have the fastest engine out there but as a starter racer it's a good package . To complete a race roller you would need to buy a radio system , starter box , servos , batteries for starter box , and radio and you would need an engine . You would need to paint the body . I'm not sure about tires but i don't think the race roller comes with tires either . I will say the losi is prob . the best rtr package out there .