Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

New to truggies

Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to truggies

I checked Amain and don't see the Jammin there unfortunately. I guess they must not sell it in the states. That's too bad, I liked that platform a lot.

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The only one of those I would get would be the Jammin X2. The rest are outdated bashers. Don't know about the MBX5T - how available parts are, etc...

The Jammin X2 is a relatively current model, unlike all the rest.. I believe Amain had the RTR version really cheap - like €450...(no starterbox, c.rap radio, c.rap servos, etc...) Here anyway though the Jammin RTR comes with an SH 28 LRP Spec 3 twin.., so you could later put a closed backplate on it($14 or something... Part # DYN0960), get a sterterbox, and have the same engine basically that is in the Losi... (I think in the States though the Jammin RTR might come with a Force 28...) Just FYI... I bought a Losi 454 new on ebay for $105, put in the backplate, and now have basically the same engine as is in the 8T 2.0 - for $120... I.e., if you get a more gas-guzzling .28, you can get it much cheaper than a 21...

The 8T 2.0 is an awesome package.. It's pricey, but you get everything all at once... On the other hand, it's RTR. The other route, with say, the Tamiya, you get to build it all up yourself... Toss-up what you want..

I still think with patience and luck you can find a good roller deal.. Just have to be careful - and yeah, patient and a bit lucky... The Losi is always there, and is always a good complete package deal too..

EDIT - Sorry.. Hot Bodies D8T.. THAT would be a good choice too IMO....
Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 PM

doesn't hpi make a truggy? or did they get discontinued, are they worth a crap.I have been following this thread cause i am on the same kind o budget as you are  redrawker, man the losi looks sweet in my opinion, but i think the hpi is fairly cheap
Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM

The Hot Bodies D8T looks nice, as HerrSavage suggested.

shattingham01 - HPI is essentially HotBodies - maybe that was the one you were thinking of? Or maybe the Hellfire?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM

best kept secret is stormer has the hot bodies lightning pro roller for 229.00 also the lightning truggy rtr is now 249.00 and the lightning pro rtr is 349.00
Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bronx boy

best kept secret is stormer has the hot bodies lightning pro roller for 229.00 also the lightning truggy rtr is now 249.00 and the lightning pro rtr is 349.00
From what I understand though, the Lightning Pro is an out-dated platform?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Well, I took the leap and bought a Hot Bodies D8T.

It comes with 4 new Proline Caliber dish wheels and tires, 4 new Crime Fighter Proline tires and dish wheels, OFNA starter box with the big duel motors, original owners manual, Skyline XR pipe, rechargeable six cell humpback battery, and Hitec HS645MG steering and throttle servos, and an Axial .28 Silver Top Motor. All for $300. What kind of deal do you guys think I got?

It needs a radio and receiver but I figured I can get a decent one for under $100 used.

I 'think' the throttle servo is okay. It is suppose to have 133oz of torque @ 6V. I know I need a new steering servo, but I can do that with the money left over.

If I remember correctly the Axial .28 is a decent motor... a lot of people used it in their HPI Savages and Lsts back when I was into things.

Hopefully I made the right decision. [:@]
Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">I do believe that you got a 'steal of a deal'. When it arrives, just make sure to check everything thoroughly. Again, if you plan on racing, upgrade your servos and purchase one of the many decent $200 engines with a correspondent tuned pipe. For example, you could get this, http://cgi.ebay.com/GO-Engine-21-GX-...item2a0df700fb. At the end of the day, whatever you do, HAVEFUN. </span></span>
Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: McWolf_101

I do believe that you got a 'steal of a deal'. When it arrives, just make sure to check everything thoroughly. Again, if you plan on racing, upgrade your servos and purchase one of the many decent $200 engines with a correspondent tuned pipe. For example, you could get this, http://cgi.ebay.com/GO-Engine-21-GX-...item2a0df700fb. At the end of the day, whatever you do, HAVE FUN. [img][/img]
That's a relief to hear. I get buyer's remorse like no other.

Do I need to upgrade the throttle servo as well? I know the steering is sub-par.

Also, will the Axial .28 be usable on the track or do I totally need to ditch it? I was hoping I could get buy with it for a little while. If I sold it I'd be lucky to get $50.00.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Radio (discard the servo): http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-w-S200-Servo

Throttle/Brake Servo: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XNRL2&amp;P=SM

Steering Servo: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XNRN6&amp;P=SM

You can keep the Axial as a practice engine. Hope this helps .</span></span>
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM

<span style=''font-size: small;''><span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''>Radio (discard the servo): http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...o-w-S200-Servo

Throttle/Brake Servo: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRL2&P=SM

Steering Servo: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=SM

You can keep the Axial as a practice engine. Hope this helps [img][/img].</span></span>
Wow! Thank you for the find on the radio... I was getting ready to pay only $10.00 less for a non 2.4ghz used radio.

I'll change the steering servo out for that one first thing. How important is speed on the throttle servo? The specs for the Hs-645mg and the Cs-160 are identical except for the Cs has .17sec response time where as the Hs has .20.

That's a relief on the Axial. I'll update the thread with pictures as soon as it arrives. [8D]
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 PM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">First, you're welcome . With respect to the throttle/brake servo, it's preferable to have a more speed-oriented servo. Also, the CS-160 servo would have a response speed of .14sec using the 6V receiver pack that is coming with your purchase. Finally, we'll all be awaiting your upcoming pics .</span></span>
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM

<span style=''font-size: small;''><span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''>First, you're welcome [img][/img]. With respect to the throttle/brake servo, it's preferable to have a more speed-oriented servo. Also, the CS-160 servo would have a response speed of .14sec using the 6V receiver pack that is coming with your purchase. Finally, we'll all be awaiting your upcoming pics [img][/img].</span></span>
Alright not a problem. I should be able to put the 645mg's and the other servo that comes with a radio together in a lot and sell them to dampen my losses.

As a final note, am I going to need a high-quality charger for my Tx battery pack, or will something like the one that came standard with the Traxxas Revo suffice? I never previously saw the point in upgrading, so I just used that stock one, but if it's beneficial, now would be the time for me to look.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 AM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Charger: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-Peak-Charger

Hope this helps .</span></span>
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 AM

<span style=''font-size: small;''><span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''>Charger: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-Peak-Charger

Hope this helps [img][/img].</span></span>
That's perfect, thank you again.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 AM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Again, you're welcome .</span></span>
Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, sounds good... Just charge it all up and go run it and see what you think.. But post some pics first...
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Yeah, sounds good... Just charge it all up and go run it and see what you think.. But post some pics first...
Rest assured, as soon as it arrives there will be pictures.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Awesome, glad you found that deal. Will be looking forward to pics.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:57 PM

UPS man brought it today, I have a few questions but first pics as promised.

Over all condition is very very good. Engine looks spotless. There are a few rust spots on the ends of the tie rods but I can polish it out.

Now for the questions.

1) What is a good starting point for diff oil? I hear most people start off 7K/10K/5K, but I hear others with .28s in their truggys use 10K/20K/5K. So what's best for me?

2) When I press down on the front shocks, I hear a terrible squeak- what's causing this? Is it a bad sign?

3) What weight shock oil is a good starting point? I have white springs on the front and blue on the rear right now.

4) When I drop the truggy from about waist height, it bottoms out HARD. The shocks only seem to absorb landings of 6" or less. Is this normal for these?

5) What are areas I need to check before I use the truggy? I know to tear apart diffs, shocks, and clutch. In addition, grub screws can be a pain so I'll look at them too, but is there anything I'm missing?

6) As dumb as it sounds, how do I get the starter box open to add the rechargeable battery? [:@]

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, looks really good...

First rotate the engine head.

1.) I would do 7-10-3(or 5)
2.) Just make sure no oil is leaking and that everything looks straight
3.) Don't know about that. 40 is a good starting point I think..
4.) Just sounds like it might have a soft suspension setup.. Hard to tell.. Also, depends what kind of surface you want to run on..
5.) I would just make sure all the drivetrain looks and feels good(put the truggy on a block and rotate the tires, etc...) Also, make sure the linkage is smooth - turn on the radio and roll it a round giving full-gas, full-brake, etc.. and make sure nothing hangs up..
6.) That you'll have to figure out on your own..

If it were me, I would just check that nothing seems to be binding, grinding, slipping, or is otherwise unsmooth somehow.. If all seems good, I would just run it and see how it goes.. Nice looking truggy...
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 AM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Hey there RD. You really did get a good deal . First, HS has given you nothing but good advice. Second, I would get a different type of air filter since, for some reason, the air filter in the pictures reminds me of one for on-road use. Third, with respect to differential fluids and setup, you could refer to the HotBodies site and check for any team racer setups. Fourth, take it all apart to make sure that everything is clean and to see if anything needs replacing, and then put it back together with all of the necessary repairs and adjustments. Fifth, and lastly, get out there and have some fun, and don't forget pictures and videos. </span></span>
Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 AM

Hey, looks really good...

First rotate the engine head.

1.) I would do 7-10-3(or 5)
2.) Just make sure no oil is leaking and that everything looks straight
3.) Don't know about that. 40 is a good starting point I think..
4.) Just sounds like it might have a soft suspension setup.. Hard to tell.. Also, depends what kind of surface you want to run on..
5.) I would just make sure all the drivetrain looks and feels good(put the truggy on a block and rotate the tires, etc...) Also, make sure the linkage is smooth - turn on the radio and roll it a round giving full-gas, full-brake, etc.. and make sure nothing hangs up..
6.) That you'll have to figure out on your own..

If it were me, I would just check that nothing seems to be binding, grinding, slipping, or is otherwise unsmooth somehow.. If all seems good, I would just run it and see how it goes.. Nice looking truggy...
Great info as always, thanks! I have downloaded the HB setup pdf's off of their websites, along with a few other racers setups.

I did figure out the starter box issue actually! Turns out 1 screw is all it takes to open it up, and I found a free 12v rechargeable battery in there. Always a nice surprise.

However, I was a afraid of the rust on the screws towards the bulkheads and wheel carriers, so I started tearing it down last night to check the bearings. My radio won't be here for a few days anyway so I might as well.

All I've found amiss thus far is the front CVD is almost destroyed; however that is very common in these truggys from what I read. I'm ordering a new one and a CVD boot to pack with grease, tonight.

Hey there RD. You really did get a good deal . First, HS has given you nothing but good advice. Second, I would get a different type of air filter since, for some reason, the air filter in the pictures reminds me of one for on-road use. Third, with respect to differential fluids and setup, you could refer to the HotBodies site and check for any team racer setups. Fourth, take it all apart to make sure that everything is clean and to see if anything needs replacing, and then put it back together with all of the necessary repairs and adjustments. Fifth, and lastly, get out there and have some fun, and don't forget pictures and videos
Thanks, glad to hear it's worth my money. And I'm way ahead of you, I'm going to switch the filter out for either a Pro-line or a Losi. I'm in the the process of stripping it all down now, so far so good.

Here are pictures of my progress:

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Well, as a progress update, I tore the entire front end down, and all of the bearings seem to be ok 'for now,' but I broke my hex wrenches.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for allen wrenches? I'm not interested in the whole set, just like those 3 main sizes you use on these.

I know it isn't specifically related to truggys but I figured I'd ask in this thread to save space. [:-]
Old 03-03-2011, 02:11 PM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Hey there RD. If you're looking for hex wrenches, you can try these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-15-20-25-30mm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...x-Driver-Set-6

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Black-Handles

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Wrench-Set-4

Hope this helps. </span></span>
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 PM

<span style=''font-size: small;''><span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''>Hey there RD. If you're looking for hex wrenches, you can try these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-15-20-25-30mm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...x-Driver-Set-6

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Black-Handles

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Wrench-Set-4

Hope this helps. [img][/img]</span></span>
Ah, once again I owe you. Are all the ones listed good wrenches? I was told the ones form Lowes that I was using were too soft and were prone to breaking and stripping hexes. (Which they did)

Thanks Wolf!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.