Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

New to truggies

Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to truggies

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying I'm new to the truggy section, but not really nitros. (About 6 years ago I bought my first T-maxx... Big mistake. I switched to an upgraded Revo later on and had better luck.)

I got out of the hobby at the beginning of 2008, and am now interested in jumping back in. When I left, I had a BB Revo that I liked to race recreationally.

After talking to a few people on the forums, I've decided that a truggy would suit me better than another MT. But I've never really had any experience with one, so I'm going to ask some very newbie questions.

1) What are the competitive chassis setups today? I have heard good things about the 8ight 2.0T, but other than that I'm in the dark.

2) Where is a good forum to learn about these- or is RCU s good place to start? I can tell you a lot about upgrading a Revo, but I'm clueless as to what these truggy's weak points are, so I have much to learn.

3) How much is a basic setup going to cost me? I'm really just dabbling in racing, so I don't feel the need to go all out, but I don't want to cut corners.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New to truggies

Everything depends on your budget...

If it were me, I'd try to lean to the cheaper side(but still of the "high-end" stuff..), and I would get the following:

1.) Associated RC8T CE edition kit. I like that AE has so many 1/8 cars - lots of parts all over..., and cheap.. The RC8T is a proven winner too..
2.) 2x Hobbico CS-170 servos from Tower(they are identical to the Hitec 5955's/7955's..) Savox would be a slightly cheaper alternative. The Savox website has a deal on right now. 1258 g/b and 1256 steering.
3.) For engines there are tons of possibilities... LOTS of good 21's to choose from. Werks B5, Go GXR 5-port, Alpha S852, Argus, Jammin JPX 21, etc... All good.. An OS 25 would be great too.. Alpha also has a .23, which would probably be my first choice...
4.) Get a good clutch.. Truggies need a good clutch, so that's one area to maybe spend a bit more on. Werks, Ascendancy, M2C, etc..
5.) Tires of course are also very important.. Check what the guys at the track run...

Racing is all about messing with the setup.. Diff-oils, shock-oils, steering geometry, etc.. Trial-and-error, trial-and-error, trial-and-error... I was always too lazy to do what is necessary, and just drove what I had as well as I could... You notice though that at races everybody is fiddling and wrenching between heats...

There are other good kits too - Mugen, Losi, etc.. They're all good.. Just pick what floats your boat, what you can afford, and maybe what your LHS stocks and what's popular at your local track.. That would be my $.02...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Check out Eman77 Tamiya TRF801XT build thread here in the truggy section, they are still on sale for $199 at Tamiya scratch n' dent.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM

To start off I'd like to stay in the $600 range if thats possible.

I'd also prefer to go with a used truggy... I've found you can get more bang for your buck that way. Even still I'll look for a RC8 used.

I'll keep the servo info in mind. That's very helpful, I appreciate it.

As for engines, are their advantages of going with a .21 vs a .28? I don't know about in a truggy application, but for MT's the Picco .28 and Lrp Spec 3 where both thought highly of. So I'm partial toasted those engines.

I'll do as you say with the clutch and not skimp. It seems important.

What about bump boxes? I've never dealt with them before... Are some better than others?

Thanks again

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Everything depends on your budget...

If it were me, I'd try to lean to the cheaper side(but still of the ''high-end'' stuff..), and I would get the following:

1.) Associated RC8T CE edition kit.
2.) 2x Hobbico CS-170 servos from Tower(they are identical to the 5955's..) Savox would be a slightly cheaper alternative. The Savox website has a deal on right now. 1258 g/b and 1256 steering.
3.) For engines there are tons of possibilities... LOTS of good 21's to choose from. Werks B5, Go GXR 5-port, Alpha S852, Argus, Jammin JPX 21, etc... All good.. An OS 25 would be great too.. Alpha also has a .23, which would probably be my first choice...
4.) Get a good clutch.. Truggies need a good clutch, so that's one area to maybe spend a bit more on. Werks, Ascendancy, M2C, etc..
5.) Tires of course are also very important.. Check what the guys at the track run...

Racing is all about messing with the setup.. Diff-oils, shock-oils, steering geometry, etc.. Trial-and-error, trial-and-error, trial-and-error... I was always too lazy to do what is necessary, and just drove what I had as well as I could... You notice though that at races everybody is fiddling and wrenching between heats...

There are other good kits too - Mugen, Losi, etc.. They're all good.. Just pick what floats your boat, what you can afford, and maybe what your LHS stocks and what's popular at your local track.. That would be my $.02...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Yeah, used can be good if you're careful and a bit lucky...

You don't want a 28 if you want to race really.. Overkill and unnecessary extra wear and tear and drink too much fuel..

Get a 21.. If on a really tight budget, track down a Go GXR 5-port combo. Value-for-money it's hard to beat IMO... (Or, get a Werks B5 and track down a used Werks pipe... Go to towerhobbies.com and use a discount coupon..)

Bump-boxes are easy. Ofna makes a "truggy" one.. That's what you want.. That and batteries will jack up your costs though.. Nevertheless, pretty much a must for racing...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Yeah, used can be good if you're careful and a bit lucky...

You don't want a 28 if you want to race really.. Overkill and unnecessary extra wear and tear and drink too much fuel..

Get a 21.. If on a really tight budget, track down a Go GXR 5-port combo. Value-for-money it's hard to beat IMO... (Or, get a Werks B5 and track down a used Werks pipe... Go to towerhobbies.com and use a discount coupon..)

Bump-boxes are easy. Ofna makes a ''truggy'' one.. That's what you want.. That and batteries will jack up your costs though.. Nevertheless, pretty much a must for racing...
I feel like my budget is somewhat flexible, even though I can't go wild at this stage.

Overall, in your opinion, do you feel like I can get the basics for 600? I need a ballpark estimate in my head before I get in too deep.

As for buying used, I think I will try to get a rolling chassis. Then I can get the new engine and electronics of my choice. That should save some money and help ensure I get a solid build.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: nascarfan3199

Check out Eman77 Tamiya TRF801XT build thread here in the truggy section, they are still on sale for $199 at Tamiya scratch n' dent.
Wow I just looked at the thread. If I just spent $200 on a kit I'd have a lot left over to fix it up. How does the TRF801 compare to the other truggies in the market? Assembly isn't really a problem for me, I'll have to see what other parts I'll need to assemble it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I would say you could.. Get a good condition used roller off a trustworthy racer(AE, Mugen, Losi, etc..), a used starterbox, then a new low-budget 21 engine/pipe combo - or new engine and used pipe on ebay(pipes are way overpriced new, and can be had much cheaper used..), and some Savox servos.. Doable I'd say..
Again, Savox has a special deal where you send in your old servos and get 20 bucks off a new one...

EDIT - yeah, that Tamiya deal sounds good.. As long as you can get parts for it.. I believe the quality is there.. Plus it's new and you get to build it yourself...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I would say you could.. Get a good condition used roller off a trustworthy racer(AE, Mugen, Losi, etc..), a used starterbox, then a new low-budget 21 engine/pipe combo - or new engine and used pipe on ebay(pipes are way overpriced new, and can be had much cheaper used..), and some Savox servos.. Doable I'd say..
Again, Savox has a special deal where you send in your old servos and get 20 bucks off a new one...

EDIT - yeah, that Tamiya deal sounds good.. As long as you can get parts for it.. I believe the quality is there.. Plus it's new and you get to build it yourself...
Alright that's all good to know. I'll continue searching eBay and other places for a nicer used truggy.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of parts do you need to be able to get for these? And how is the aftermarket selection for other truggies? They seem much more solid out of the box than MT's, but I'm unclear as to whether people upgrade parts like arms and shocks, or if they're decent out of the box.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM

They're all good out of the box, basically.. IMO. Could be good to have the odd arms, tank, diff, etc.. if you're at a race and suddenly need a spare.. Nothing to worry about up front though.. Again, just my opinion...
Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM

They're all good out of the box, basically.. IMO. Could be good to have the odd arms, tank, diff, etc.. if you're at a race and suddenly need a spare.. Nothing to worry about up front though.. Again, just my opinion...
You're opinion is highly valued. Not many people have cared to chime in, and you seem well-informed on the subject so I'm all ears, haha.

Alright that's refreshing. With the Revo you had to replace the crappy stock arms, driveshafts, diff cups, transmission components, etc. just to get up and running.

I've found quite a bit of parts for the Tamiya on Amainhobbies. I'll look into that... new in box just can't be beat.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Redrawker

You're opinion is highly valued. Not many people have cared to chime in, and you seem well-informed on the subject so I'm all ears, haha.

Alright that's refreshing. With the Revo you had to replace the crappy stock arms, driveshafts, diff cups, transmission components, etc. just to get up and running.

I've found quite a bit of parts for the Tamiya on Amainhobbies. I'll look into that... new in box just can't be beat.
I was just going to say - AMain stocks a good amount of 801xt parts for Tamiya (as does the tamiyausa site), so supports seems to be there (as well as some hop ups to spend $$ on). One thing you'll notice is that Tamiya offers an "upgraded" 801xt kit - this is the original (that my thread is about), plus added upgrades - shorter front/rear arms, shorter cvds for that, and another odd and end or two. I think the longer arms weren't as durable, so they say.

That said, you can still get the $200 kit and the upgrades, and come out at a decent price.

Beyond that, I can't offer much truggy info - I'm just a basher who loves Tamiya, and could not pass up that deal. I do electric only, so did an e-conversion on mine. I'll leave the other truggy experts in this forum to help with your other questions/concerns regarding brands/availability/etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I was just going to say - AMain stocks a good amount of 801xt parts for Tamiya (as does the tamiyausa site), so supports seems to be there (as well as some hop ups to spend $$ on). One thing you'll notice is that Tamiya offers an ''upgraded'' 801xt kit - this is the original (that my thread is about), plus added upgrades - shorter front/rear arms, shorter cvds for that, and another odd and end or two. I think the longer arms weren't as durable, so they say.

That said, you can still get the $200 kit and the upgrades, and come out at a decent price.

Beyond that, I can't offer much truggy info - I'm just a basher who loves Tamiya, and could not pass up that deal. I do electric only, so did an e-conversion on mine. I'll leave the other truggy experts in this forum to help with your other questions/concerns regarding brands/availability/etc.

The basic 801xt is $229.00 at scratch-n-dent. I wonder if it's possible to purchase the upgrade kit separately? I'm all for durability. I'm waiting for a few auctions to end of eBay, but after that I'm going to pounce on this Tamiya (assuming nothing changes.) It's getting good enough reviews to where I feel comfortable about it. (Btw - PM was very helpful Eman, I appreciate it.)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">First of all, let me say 'Welcome back to the hobby' . Secondly, truggies are DEFINITELY more suited to racing than MTs. Third, most of the truggies, as HerrSavage rightly said, will be 'good-to-go' out of the box. All you'll need is some spare parts, as HerrSavage also stated, such as suspension arms, carrier hubs, fuel tank, air filters, hingepins, etc. If you're planning on racing, some extra wheels/tires, clutch bells and glow plugs would be useful. Whatever you decide, have fun and tear up the track. </span></span>
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Redrawker

I was just going to say - AMain stocks a good amount of 801xt parts for Tamiya (as does the tamiyausa site), so supports seems to be there (as well as some hop ups to spend $$ on). One thing you'll notice is that Tamiya offers an ''upgraded'' 801xt kit - this is the original (that my thread is about), plus added upgrades - shorter front/rear arms, shorter cvds for that, and another odd and end or two. I think the longer arms weren't as durable, so they say.

The basic 801xt is $229.00 at scratch-n-dent. I wonder if it's possible to purchase the upgrade kit separately? I'm all for durability. I'm waiting for a few auctions to end of eBay, but after that I'm going to pounce on this Tamiya (assuming nothing changes.) It's getting good enough reviews to where I feel comfortable about it. (Btw - PM was very helpful Eman, I appreciate it.)
You can purchase the parts separately that the expensive upgrade kit contains, that's for sure.

The upgraded kit ($670 for the whole schebang, ouch) is here:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...duct-id=49497A

But looking there tells you what those upgrades actually are. If it's me, I wait until I break it to fix it, but if you want the upgrades off the bat, go for it. Looks like the upgrade parts in that kit are:
1012 - shock mounts (need 2 sets of these?): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1012 $4.70 each set of 2
1013 - shorter arms (contains all 4): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1013 $23.50 for the 4 of 'em
1014 - shorter drive shafts (set of 2, need 2 of these): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1014 $19 for a pair

So you're looking at $73 or so in upgrades from tamiyausa's site (maybe cheaper elsewhere?), if desired (to put on top of the $200 scratch n dent kit). Of course there are more upgrades to spend $$ on, but these are the ones included in the more expensive upgrade 801xt kit (kit 49497A) that Tamiya introduced.

Glad the PM helped!

....also, that Scratch N Dent was $199 on Tamiya's site for a while - went up to $230 I see. Bummer. Still a good deal though.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Iwould jump on that trf quick. I would much rather buy a brand new kit that Iget to assemble over someone's used kit for the same price. As eman stated the only difference between the new and old version are the shock towers, shorter arms, and shorter cvd's. This truggy is my first tamiya TRF kit ive owned and they quality is top notch. Ichecked the scratch n dent earlier this afternoon at about 11am and it was $200 so it just went up, Still a very good deal.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 AM

The TRF does seem like a great deal. I crunched the number last night and it's looking like over $800 to assemble a kit thought. [:@] That's definitely bigger than my budget. I'm stuck looking for one that is somewhat RTR I guess.

Here is what I figured.

Truggy- ~ $229.00
Engine - ~$200.00
Used pipe- ~$25.00
Servos - ~$190.00
(Used) Rx/Tx - ~$80.00
(Used) Bump box - ~ $40.00
Tx battery- ~$12.00
Werks (?) clutch setup - ~$60.00
Like new tires and wheels (I have a friend local) - $40.00

And that brings our total to $876.00. That's just more than I have. If anyone sees anywhere I could make changes just let me know but I searched around and got estimates on all parts. Plus I need a lot of the basics like glow igniters and batteries and chargers.

Maybe I need to go ahead and buy the kit, then just sit on it and do it piece by piece until I have the money? My job should pick up during the summer months and I know I could complete it. It's just tough to not be able to complete it all it once. Oh the joys of being in college.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 AM

Get a Go GXR 5-port combo for 200 bucks, two Savox servos for 90, and forget the Werks clutch for starters.. You can defo shave down that total you came up with.. With patience and some luck, by a good bit.. Keep an eye out on eBay and in classifieds.. Maybe even send a mail to overdriverc.com. The guy there has some good deals sometimes. For 600 bucks a good complete setup is doable...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 AM

Get a Go GXR 5-port combo for 200 bucks, two Savox servos for 90, and forget the Werks clutch for starters.. You can defo shave down that total you came up with.. With patience and some luck, by a good bit.. Keep an eye out on eBay and in classifieds.. Maybe even send a mail to overdriverc.com. The guy there has some good deals sometimes. For 600 bucks a good complete setup is doable...
Where could I find the GXR and the Savox servos? I did a quick search for them earlier and couldn't find any reputable stores with them in stock.

And what clutch setup would you recommend as opposed to the Werks?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM

I would jump on that trf quick. I would much rather buy a brand new kit that I get to assemble over someone's used kit for the same price. As eman stated the only difference between the new and old version are the shock towers, shorter arms, and shorter cvd's. This truggy is my first tamiya TRF kit ive owned and they quality is top notch. I checked the scratch n dent earlier this afternoon at about 11am and it was $200 so it just went up, Still a very good deal.

Better yet, the upgrade kit doesn't have improved shock towers, just the mounts that you screw into the tower. (So it's an inexpensive piece - nothing wrong with those nice shiny blue towers!).

But I see Redrawker's breakdown on price - ouch. Yeah, it's rough when you put it like that. I guess you do what's best for your budget and patience at this point. Looking for RTRs out there is never a bad idea!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM

I would jump on that trf quick. I would much rather buy a brand new kit that I get to assemble over someone's used kit for the same price. As eman stated the only difference between the new and old version are the shock towers, shorter arms, and shorter cvd's. This truggy is my first tamiya TRF kit ive owned and they quality is top notch. I checked the scratch n dent earlier this afternoon at about 11am and it was $200 so it just went up, Still a very good deal.

Better yet, the upgrade kit doesn't have improved shock towers, just the mounts that you screw into the tower. (So it's an inexpensive piece - nothing wrong with those nice shiny blue towers!).

But I see Redrawker's breakdown on price - ouch. Yeah, it's rough when you put it like that. I guess you do what's best for your budget and patience at this point. Looking for RTRs out there is never a bad idea!
The only downside to RTRs is many of them are not built very well... The servos are under powered and the engines are either old or non desirable brands. I'm afraid of what I'd be getting.

I'm tempted to just jump on the Tamiya and build it as I get money for it. Not sure if that's wise or not though.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your price range I think a Losi 8T 2.0 may be perfect.... the RTR servos are kinda junky, but the rest of the gear is really solid, the radio is excellent, the engine is decent, it has a starter box already....The truggy itself is one of the best on the market, and can be upgraded to Pro standards as you go along...In the world of RTR's this is the best of the best....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: supertib

In your price range I think a Losi 8T 2.0 may be perfect.... the RTR servos are kinda junky, but the rest of the gear is really solid, the radio is excellent, the engine is decent, it has a starter box already....The truggy itself is one of the best on the market, and can be upgraded to Pro standards as you go along...In the world of RTR's this is the best of the best....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
+1
<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 AM

That looks like a great deal, but I only have $700.00, and I'm only wanting to spend <$600.00. But I looked at overdriverc and they have the same kit for $695.00, which is do able. I'm waiting to see if I can get any discounts or anything there.

In the mean time I've still been searching eBay. I've came up with a few more truggies that 'seem' nice, but I figured I'd run them buy you all first. All of these are within my price range, used, RTR, and have decent engine/electronics combos (If I remember correctly atleast), and many include starter boxes and batteries. So that's definitely reassuring.

Are any of these more desirable than others?

Hot Bodies D8T

Hot Bodies Lightning Pro

CEN Matrix

OFNA Jammin X2 (I've heard good things about this one before I think)

Mugen MXB5

Thanks guys.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 AM

The only one of those I would get would be the Jammin X2. The rest are outdated bashers. Don't know about the MBX5T - how available parts are, etc...

The Jammin X2 is a relatively current model, unlike all the rest.. I believe Amain had the RTR version really cheap - like €450...(no starterbox, c.rap radio, c.rap servos, etc...) Here anyway though the Jammin RTR comes with an SH 28 LRP Spec 3 twin.., so you could later put a closed backplate on it($14 or something... Part # DYN0960), get a sterterbox, and have the same engine basically that is in the Losi... (I think in the States though the Jammin RTR might come with a Force 28...) Just FYI... I bought a Losi 454 new on ebay for $105, put in the backplate, and now have basically the same engine as is in the 8T 2.0 - for $120... I.e., if you get a more gas-guzzling .28, you can get it much cheaper than a 21...

The 8T 2.0 is an awesome package.. It's pricey, but you get everything all at once... On the other hand, it's RTR. The other route, with say, the Tamiya, you get to build it all up yourself... Toss-up what you want..

I still think with patience and luck you can find a good roller deal.. Just have to be careful - and yeah, patient and a bit lucky... The Losi is always there, and is always a good complete package deal too..

EDIT - Sorry.. Hot Bodies D8T.. THAT would be a good choice too IMO....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.