Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Hong Nor X1 CRT PRO rear diff failure

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Hong Nor X1 CRT PRO rear diff failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
zsmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hong Nor X1 CRT PRO rear diff failure

As per title i have had a rear diff failure on my newly aquired X1 CRT after only say half a gallon of fuel has been put through it, the diff appears to have leaked oil which has caused the sunwheel and bevel gears to burr over and as such i lost all drive on the rear of the car!!

Can you guys advise as to whether diff failures are common on these cars or very much a rarity/bad luck!?

We'd only been out with the truggy a short while this evening when the failure occured and this is only the 2nd time since running theengine in that it has been run anyway - so this seems to be a VERY premature failure!!!

I'd like to think that once i fix the diff that i'll have no more diff related issues other than routine oil swaps etc!

Is it worth using some liquid gasket along with the paper gasket to seal the diff once i get the parts to rebuild it!?

Fyi the inner O rings don't appear to have leaked - niether has the small grub screw on the side of the casing, and i cannot see any cracks or similar in the diff casing!!!

Cany you guys help/give me some pointers please!!!

Cheers matt!

P.s

Is there any difference to the gears in the diffs between the X1 CRT & the PRO version like mine!??
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
chaserogesr14

Default RE: Hong Nor X1 CRT PRO rear diff failure

I had this same problem with my x2 when I first built it, see if you cant find some kyosho gaskets, they did the trick or even brand new jammin gaskets they solved the problem too.
idk what exactly made the difference but it did something
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diff failures in properly oiled and shimmed diffs are extremely rare. Leaking diffs are extremely common. As you have observed, if a diff ejects its oil, it is only a matter of time til failure.

Your question is not if diff failures are common (and even if it was, they are not), your question is 'are diff failures common if I fail to notice the diff has no oil until it's too late', to which the answer is yes
I had this same problem with my x2 when I first built it, see if you cant find some kyosho gaskets, they did the trick or even brand new jammin gaskets they solved the problem too.
They solved the leaking problem, as a good gasket should
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 AM
zsmatt

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Diff failures in properly oiled and shimmed diffs are extremely rare. Leaking diffs are extremely common. As you have observed, if a diff ejects its oil, it is only a matter of time til failure.

Your question is not if diff failures are common (and even if it was, they are not), your question is 'are diff failures common if I fail to notice the diff has no oil until it's too late', to which the answer is yes
They solved the leaking problem, as a good gasket should

Hi Foxy,

I see what you're saying/where ya coming from but i really didn't think i'd need to be stripping the car down THIS soon after having freshly built it from a new kit, so going on this notion how would i ever have spotted a leaking diff as non of the oil was showing anywhereoutside the diffs outer housing- it was all inside & underthe outer casing and in the wee milled out section on the chassis plate where it clears the crown wheel!

I guess it's stating the obvious that it's good practice to pop the diff housing etc off after every session to quickly check for diff leaks etc!

On an side note though - what do you think to my theory that some liquid gasket smeared "lightly" on both faces before a fresh gasket is applied is a good idea!?, Or is it a bad idea for some obscure reason!? (reactions with the diff oil or somet as daft!)

Can you fellas advise too as to what is usually the cause of diff leaks too!? - is it usually the area around the gasket/crown wheel that bolts onto the end of the diff casing that gives rise to leaks, or is it down past the bearings & O rings!?? (the latter seems improbable to me as these seemed to be doing there job quite nicely!!

Lastly (for now anyway!) Are there any higher quality parts avaialble in terms of better/higher quality gears?, And do you guys know if the diffs are the same unit that's used on the X2 CRT's (as it'll make getting hold of parts easier!)

Cheers matt