Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

losi 8t rtr question

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM
mattsauto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losi 8t rtr question

Hey guys, i'm new to thissite. Just looking at maybe buying the losi 8t 2.0 rtr & looking to see if any of you own one. if so has there been any problems? also i'm not to sure about the starter box thing ( never used one). I currently have the roto start on a few vehicles & like it. i searched for a roto start for the losi 454 & can't find one. do they make it? thanks in advance for any & all help.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
mattsauto

Default RE: losi 8t rtr question

wow 4 days & 62 views!! not 1 reply? no one has the 8t or cares to help someone out? i guess i got on the wrong site
Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
mattsauto

i did happen to find the losi roto start for 454 by the way
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
HerrSavage

The Losi RTR truggy is a good package.

Long-term, if you want to run truggy or buggy, you need to just accept having a starter box. It's a bit of a hassle at first to carry around, but long-term it's the best solution. One, spin-starts on roto-start engines start to have problems with slipping one-way bearings. Two, later, when you want to upgrade your engine, there are just FAR more bumpstart engines - especially .21's..

I can't really help you with specifics on the truggy itself. I have heard of rear bearing issues, but for all I know that has been fixed by now...

Good truck - go for it..
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
mattsauto

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The Losi RTR truggy is a good package.

Long-term, if you want to run truggy or buggy, you need to just accept having a starter box. It's a bit of a hassle at first to carry around, but long-term it's the best solution. One, spin-starts on roto-start engines start to have problems with slipping one-way bearings. Two, later, when you want to upgrade your engine, there are just FAR more bumpstart engines - especially .21's..

I can't really help you with specifics on the truggy itself. I have heard of rear bearing issues, but for all I know that has been fixed by now...

Good truck - go for it..
thanks for input herrsavage, it's very appreciated. I have found out recently about one way bearing wear with roto start. but i see losi offers a pull start / roto start which would cut down on wear of oneway. does the starter box use the same battery as the roto start? still trying to find out if there are any major common problems with the rtr. so far i haven't found much.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

The 8ight-T 2.0 RTR is a very good truggy. There are a few things should be upgrded though such as the stock servos, the shock caps are plastic and could be replaced with the aluminum ones. I would also recomend sticking with the starter box. It is a much more reliable method for starting than a spinstart and is easier to use than a pullstart.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
mattsauto

thanks for help guys. i think i'm probably going to order the losi rtr soon as it sounds like it's worth it. i guess i will try the starter box & see how it goes. i will also get a good steering servo & aluminum shock caps. anything else i should get right from the start? what battery should i get for the starter box?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: mattsauto

thanks for help guys. i think i'm probably going to order the losi rtr soon as it sounds like it's worth it. i guess i will try the starter box & see how it goes. i will also get a good steering servo & aluminum shock caps. anything else i should get right from the start? what battery should i get for the starter box?
For a battery something alng these lines will work http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-148V-2200mAh
but if you don't have a lipo charger you would need one.

For a steering servo you want one that is capable of at least 200oz of torque. I run a Savox 1256 that has 277oz and it has been great so far. I also have an MBX5T with chinese servo that puts out around 180oz and it feels too weak in a truggy.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 AM
mattsauto

a lipo battery? it says in article nimh battery. it also says that it takes 2 batteries. if thats the case $140 for batteries for starter box is foolish!! i guess i will go with pull start / spin start. yeah i got hitec 7955tg for my savage & it works great. prolly go with the same for this one. thanks for input.
ORIGINAL: yakfish

For a battery something alng these lines will work http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...C-148V-2200mAh
but if you don't have a lipo charger you would need one.

For a steering servo you want one that is capable of at least 200oz of torque. I run a Savox 1256 that has 277oz and it has been great so far. I also have an MBX5T with chinese servo that puts out around 180oz and it feels too weak in a truggy.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 AM
nitroexpress

[quote]ORIGINAL: mattsauto

a lipo battery? it says in article nimh battery. it also says that it takes 2 batteries. if thats the case $140 for batteries for starter box is foolish!! i guess i will go with pull start / spin start. yeah i got hitec 7955tg for my savage & it works great. prolly go with the same for this one. thanks for input.
No need for expensive name brand LiPo's. This is what I use and it's great. You could even go for a smaller capacity battery and it would be cheaper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17242

Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
mattsauto

it looks like it says that it takes 2 nimh batteries for starter box. would 1 lipo work?
[quote]ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

No need for expensive name brand LiPo's. This is what I use and it's great. You could even go for a smaller capacity battery and it would be cheaper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17242

Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
mattsauto

just ordered the losi 8t 2.0 rtr hope i like it
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM
HerrSavage

Nice.. Have fun with it..
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
mattsauto

got my losi 8t today. nice looking truggy. didn't have much time to do much with it but did get to the point of breakin. got it to start & run for about 3 minutes but stalled & couldn't get to restart. severe flooding issue. tried leaning a little but still flooding & pinch is so tight the starter box was having tough time. i also tried leaving glow plug a little loose & that didn't work either. i ran outta time & had to leave it. any suggestions on easier start for breakin? not impressed with starter box so far.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM
HerrSavage

Batteries for box must be fully charged, especially for a new engine. If it's flooded take plug out and bump it quick on the box. Careful though - the fuel will shoot out..

Also, if possible, wrap the head in alu foil, and put a hot hairdrier on it for 10-15 minutes so it gets up to about 200F before starting. Should make starting and breaking in much easier. Also, once running, don't be afraid to blip it and clear some fuel out if it sounds like it's choking on the rich settings..
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
mattsauto

thanks for input herrsavage. wish i knew that motor needed to be heated from the start. i now need a new wheel for starter box & they are on backorder. i am not impressed with starter box but come to find out the pull / spin start i ordered isn't compatable with rtr 454 but losi sells the 454 with pull/spin start. i had to send back those parts to amain. fortunatley amain is good to deal with. talked with losi rep today & told him that should be in the breakin literature but he said its a common problem & its just a learning curve. if its a learning curve & common problem then why the hell isn't it brought to our attention in their book! i guess i should have went with the kit & got my own motor with pull or spin start. hope this thing is great when i finally get it broke in.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

Things will work out for you I'm sure. I have the 8ight-t as well. Its not the rtr now, but it started as a RTR roller.

As far a bump boxes go...........so much better than a roto start!!!. You just need good batteries. I use 2 3300mah nimh batteries in mine. As far as the wheel goes you shouldn't have worn it down that quick. It sounds like your starting problem could have potentially been a glow plug failure.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 PM
The_Shark

losi's bump box is great, thats what i use for my Ofna buggy and jammin truggy, I left it out in the rain for an entire season and it still works perfect.

I use a Gel-cell low-tech and heavy, but it lasts forever, Ive charged it 3 times in 5 years and left it outside, still going strong! (im a little mean to my starting equipment, but my cars are pampered.)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Chucksolo69

Once you get it running you'll really like the car. I have a Losi Ten T, basically the same chassis, only a little bit smaller than yours. My Ten T, which I have had for over a year and has about 3 gallons through it, has never given me any trouble. It starts right up and I have only had to replace the steering servo after a particularly savage bashing session.