Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Best Truggy engine around $150

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Best Truggy engine around $150

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM
yates42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Truggy engine around $150

Hey just wondering what's the best truggy engine for around $150, I know it's not much but im only 16 so thanks.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM
nitroexpress

Default RE: Best Truggy engine around $150

ORIGINAL: yates42

Hey just wondering what's the best truggy engine for around $150, I know it's not much but im only 16 so thanks.
Not too many in that price range. Save up $200 and get a Werks B5.21
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM
pigpen1
My Feedback: (2)

heres where to go for a engine you'll never go any where else
http://www.clockworkracingengines.co...modded-engines
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: pigpen1

heres where to go for a engine you'll never go any where else
http://www.clockworkracingengines.co...modded-engines
The only sub $200 engine Tib sells is the Force .28 with pullstart.Not really applicable for a truggy. Does someone just starting out really need a mod motor? It will only hurt skill development.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM
TimC63

Yates42,

Unless you are restricted to a .21 engine by racing class rules, for right at $150 you can pick up the Dynamite Platinum .28 which is a powerhouse.  The Platinum XP28 is the current version and costs more but the non-XP is out there for $149. 
If I have one complaint about the Platinum 28 it would be the carb.  Like I said the motor is a powerhouse, but I have never been able to get it to idle as low as I would like.  It could just be an issue specific to the one I received but the carb slide won't close far enough.  On the plus side it comes with 7.5, 8, and 9mm carb restrictors.  I run the 8mm restrictor in a heavy Lightning Stadium Pro R and it is pretty amazing.

God Bless,
TC
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
pigpen1

How would getting a modded mill hurt anyone?
the knowledge he would GAIN from dealing with Neal and clockwork is the best out there!
couldn't hurt

buy crap u get crap
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: pigpen1

How would getting a modded mill hurt anyone?
the knowledge he would GAIN from dealing with Neal and clockwork is the best out there!
couldn't hurt

buy crap u get crap
I've talked to Neil and I have bought his engines, so this has nothing to do with his expertise. But payingextra money to run more horsepower is not always the answer. Modding will not increase the lifespan of an engine. I know most bashers want the ultimate, But on a track, max power can actually hurt. Not to say power isn't a rush, but experience should come before a modded engine. This is especially true when someone like the OP has a $150 limit.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM
yates42

Thanks guys,this isn't my first rc (have had a few stadium trucks) just first truggy.
Nitro-thanks I might just wait a little longer so I can afford it
Tim- I was looking at that on amain, will look into that more.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for $150.00 all you will get is junk............for a truggy its worth saving up and getting a better engine.............
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Argus A52, Alpha S852 or A852, Go GXII HO, Werks B2 or B5.

Actually the Werks B2 is probably the best bet at that price. $160. The others are closer to $200 I think. Search ebay though and get an Argus if you can find one.

It's bull that everything for $150 is "junk" or that you need a modded engine.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 AM
NitroNinjaRR

I found an SH .28 8 port engine for $160. Its claimed to have 4.0 HP and all the torque one could ask for. This engine is made by the same company as LRP engines. I was very suprised when the motor arrived, it was packaged and sealed just as well as a $400 motor. I took apart the entire engine, as i do with all of my new engines, to look for debris left from the machining process. The inside was clean polished and free of any debris. The compression was very good as i could not pop it over even with the flywheel on. Im also running an SH pipe that i ordered at the same time. The quality of their products seem to be above par. As of now i have about 3 gallons through it. I run 30% byron. This engine is an absolute
Monster. I have not had it stall out once on me! Very easy to tune and golds a tune perfect. Very small adjustments go a long way with this engine. It sounds great and performs even better. Im sure it wont last quite as long as an O.S. or Novarossi for instance but for the price i can buy three of them for the price of one OS xz .28.  Im a huge fan of this engine, with its big red heat sink it looks awesome to boot. Bang for your buck certainly describes this engine. They make a non pullstart and pullstart version of the same engine. Manufactuer code is PT28Xm1-p8. You really cant go wrong if your looking for a cheaper big block truggy engine. I get around 8.5-9.5 mins of runtime off of one tank. Normal running temps are between 190-220. It runs idles and accelerates wonderfully in that heat range, i adjust it depending if im bashing or racing.  Hope this helps with your question
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Identical to the LRP Spec 3 .28 and Losi 454.. - yes, good bang for the buck..
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 AM
silvermansteve

i got a new dynamite platinum .24 truggy engine on ebay for less than 110, shipped. don't know if they're still out there. how bad can that be?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM
outlawbrett

i dont know how a force .28 isnt applicable for a truggy? i have a hpi 4.6 in my truggy which is basically a force .28. unless ur racing and not bashing, why spend a bunch of money on a modded motor or a novarossi or alpha or OS. for under $200 the kid can get a bunch of good quailty big blocks out there. heck u can even find picco .28s for under $200. if ur just bashing, i would go with a force .28 if ur gonna throw a little racing in there with bashing i would go with the works B5 .21
Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Hunter14

I just bought a Losi 8ight that a guy build but never drove. It came with a picco .28 P3 (specifically for truggy's) that he says has never been started. It is currently mounted on the truggy with a dynamite pipe, i'd have to look to see exactly which one it is. But, if you're still looking for a motor, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: Hunter14

I just bought a Losi 8ight that a guy build but never drove. It came with a picco .28 P3 (specifically for truggy's) that he says has never been started. It is currently mounted on the truggy with a dynamite pipe, i'd have to look to see exactly which one it is. But, if you're still looking for a motor, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.
Definately a kick butt engine. Be careful with the break in, Picco's have a unique sleeve taper that stresses rods.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Barrymartin

The HPI F4.6 is the best engine for truggy, although it'll cost you more than $150 if you can find one. I had one in my truggy and it was crazy fast....
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: supertib

for $150.00 all you will get is junk............for a truggy its worth saving up and getting a better engine.............
He's sixteen and didn't say if he was bashing or racing. I suppose you're going to recommend a Clocked Bonito?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: NitroNinjaRR

I found an SH .28 8 port engine for $160. Its claimed to have 4.0 HP and all the torque one could ask for. This engine is made by the same company as LRP engines. I was very suprised when the motor arrived, it was packaged and sealed just as well as a $400 motor. I took apart the entire engine, as i do with all of my new engines, to look for debris left from the machining process. The inside was clean polished and free of any debris. The compression was very good as i could not pop it over even with the flywheel on. Im also running an SH pipe that i ordered at the same time. The quality of their products seem to be above par. As of now i have about 3 gallons through it. I run 30% byron. This engine is an absolute
Monster. I have not had it stall out once on me! Very easy to tune and golds a tune perfect. Very small adjustments go a long way with this engine. It sounds great and performs even better. Im sure it wont last quite as long as an O.S. or Novarossi for instance but for the price i can buy three of them for the price of one OS xz .28. Im a huge fan of this engine, with its big red heat sink it looks awesome to boot. Bang for your buck certainly describes this engine. They make a non pullstart and pullstart version of the same engine. Manufactuer code is PT28Xm1-p8. You really cant go wrong if your looking for a cheaper big block truggy engine. I get around 8.5-9.5 mins of runtime off of one tank. Normal running temps are between 190-220. It runs idles and accelerates wonderfully in that heat range, i adjust it depending if im bashing or racing. Hope this helps with your question
SH engines have always been astonishing bang for your buck, any SH engine will be a workhorse for gallons and they even put up with noob abuse. I only had 2, a 12 and a 21, both bought in thunder tiger rtrs, they were both just bombproof.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Charles gray

HPI F4.6 is best for your truggy i think. And it's under $150
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Charles, thanks for your contribution, however, I feel compelled to point out that there are much better engines than the F4.6 available for much less cash. This is not an engine that many people would recommend. In fact, I recommend owners of this engine upgrade it when its had enough.

They are decent workhorses, and don't mind getting hot, but that's about it.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a GO .28 with in-line exhaust on the big auction site for only about 100$ shipping included. It runs great in my Hyper truggy, pulling easy wheelies (300.000 wt in centerdiff) and all the speed and power I will ever need for my bashing. Easy starting, idles fine, holds a tune, I can`t find one negative thing about it so far. How long it will last remains to see..................[8D]

Oh, did I mention the price of only about 100$?