Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

New user. Jammin X1 CRT RTR questions

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

New user. Jammin X1 CRT RTR questions

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM
elohssaknurd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user. Jammin X1 CRT RTR questions

I'm just getting into RC. I have been looking to get into it for a while. I was going to get a Traxxis T-Maxx or Summit but a few weeks ago I helped a friend move. I got a Jammin X1 CRT for free for helping him move. I have ran it a few times and it runs good. After doing some research on it and reading the forum here I learned it is more for racing. I'm not getting into racing. I just want a basher. Like I said I am new to RC so here are a few of my questions.

Can I put monster truck wheels and tires on my X1? I don't like the look of the dish wheels and want a more aggressive tread. I have been looking and I see that there are a lot of wheels that are 17mm hex with 1/2 offset. I'm just not sure if they will work. Any suggestions?

The car is pretty fast. When I throttle it from a stop or slow roll. It sits down in the rear and the front comes up a lot. The tires balloon like a drag car. That has basically ruined my front tires. There is no tread left in the center of the tire. Is there any parts I can buy to stop this or is it just a suspension adjustment?

What is an optimal temp for the car to run? Basic tuning tips?

Wheel bearings. The wheel bearings have some slop. It has aftermarket aluminum hubs but it looks like the wheel bearings don't fit tight. Should a get new ones?

I am ordering a new bumper, center drive shafts (front one is bent), and exhaust. Any other parts I should consider?

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New user. Jammin X1 CRT RTR questions

ORIGINAL: elohssaknurd

I'm just getting into RC. I have been looking to get into it for a while. I was going to get a Traxxis T-Maxx or Summit but a few weeks ago I helped a friend move. I got a Jammin X1 CRT for free for helping him move. I have ran it a few times and it runs good. After doing some research on it and reading the forum here I learned it is more for racing. I'm not getting into racing. I just want a basher. Like I said I am new to RC so here are a few of my questions.

1) Can I put monster truck wheels and tires on my X1? I don't like the look of the dish wheels and want a more aggressive tread. I have been looking and I see that there are a lot of wheels that are 17mm hex with 1/2 offset. I'm just not sure if they will work. Any suggestions?

2) The car is pretty fast. When I throttle it from a stop or slow roll. It sits down in the rear and the front comes up a lot. The tires balloon like a drag car. That has basically ruined my front tires. There is no tread left in the center of the tire. Is there any parts I can buy to stop this or is it just a suspension adjustment?

3) What is an optimal temp for the car to run? Basic tuning tips?

4) Wheel bearings. The wheel bearings have some slop. It has aftermarket aluminum hubs but it looks like the wheel bearings don't fit tight. Should a get new ones?

5) I am ordering a new bumper, center drive shafts (front one is bent), and exhaust. Any other parts I should consider?

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
I numbered your queries for easier response

1) You can, but it really isn;t recommended. What you have there is one of the greatest bash trucks ever created, change the wheels style by all means, but don't change the size or add too much weight. Part of why the car drives so well is because of the lightweight wheels and tires. To directly answer the question, yes you can, but you should consider dropping some teeth from the clutch bell to compensate for the increased rollout and take some strain off the clutch. If you do this and find that the clutch bell is getting smoking hot, then you will need to go back to the truggy size, which are ideal anyway.

2) This is due to the 'weight', or viscosity of the oils in the differentials. Disassemble and reassemble the differentials (it's a good opportunity to inspect the diff gears for wear as well) using an appropriate weight silicone oil. Use 10,000wt in the front diff, 20,000wt in the center diff, and 5,000wt in the rear diff. This will make the car feel considerably more planted. If you still feel too much power is being sent to the front wheels then increase the thickness of the center diff oil further. A lot of bashers run 50k which will make the car pull wheelies occasionally if that floats your boat. I run 50k in my electric truggies too, I feel it's a good balance of being able to do tricks versus handling. The trade off is that the stiffer the center diff is, the more unwilling the car will be to change direction in response to steering, but its much less noticeable when bashing.

3) As long as it gets hotter than 190 and no hotter than 290 (*F) you're good. The most important thing is that there's a little smoke when you run, doesn't have to be a lot, but there must be some, this shows that the oil in the fuel is sufficient to keep the engine lubed. Be aware of going too lean and starving the engine of oil. The smoke is your oil gauge.

4) Absolutely. Also if the wheel bearings are going, I expect the diff bearings are shot. Check them when you open the diff covers to reassemble the diffs.

5) Check the driveshafts all around, particularly the wear on the outdrives of the center diff and the cross pins of the dogbones. Also check for bowing of the lower arms indicating the model has sat on its wheels for extended periods, this isn't a problem particularly, but isn't ideal either. Apart from that, upgrade as you bend or break, nothing is considered weak on that car.

Enjoy, you really have been very lucky, it's one of the great nitro truggies.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
elohssaknurd

Thanks a lot for all the info. Just getting ready to order some parts right now. Ill get some bearings and oil for sure.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any time bud Holler if you need any more help down the line.

Ooh, I nearly forgot, don't forget to order some diff gaskets (little paper gaskets that seal the diffs).
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
elohssaknurd

Good thing I checked back here before I ordered. Got the gaskets!