Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Himoto Mamba XR-1 engine swap

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Himoto Mamba XR-1 engine swap

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 AM
VX.18CXP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Himoto Mamba XR-1 engine swap

Hello!

I'm currently having a Vertex .18 CXP engine in a Himoto Mamba XR-1 1/10. I've thought about replacing it with a HPI T3.0. I've read the specs and it has double the power of the VX .18. Both are 3cc and i think that it's bolt on without minor modifications But... Can i use the same exhaust, clutch and everything?? or do i have to order a new exhaust manifold, pipe and clutch thingys and a clutch bell? I'm running 20% nitro

Last edited by VX.18CXP; 06-28-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Marciatelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching both of those engines and the chassis itself I didnt found much when it comes to dimensions and how it would fit. Expects will probably have a better answer but I can give you some guidance.
In order for the flywheel, clutch and clutch bell to fit you need to make sure that both engines have similar crank lenth, diameter and type (both of these engine seem to have similar length and diameter and standard crank style).
Both engines are small blocks so there shouldnt be much fuss in installing the new engine, however I dont know about the HIP T3.0 clearance (it has some additional bits on the bottom of the case).
If the engines have the same copacity, most likely the exhaust will fit but there is a small problem.

The Vertex .18 CXP seems to be an offroad engine while HPI T3.0 an onroad engine.
There is a big differene because onroad engines have a different power curves, torque and rpm compared to offroad engine. Offroad engines have more torque and power at lower rpm while onroad have more power at higher rpm.
I do not recommend to mix these two genres together, stick to offroad engines.
More power in the engine means more stress on the parts, therefore shorter lifetime of parts. I dont mention the fact whether the car can take that much power as the drivetrain could bust.
Putting an onroad engine to offroad car would surely ruin the off the line acceleration as the engine is not suitable for offroad cars gearing, not sure about the rest.
In my opinion, dont do it. Find another engine.

Last edited by Marciatelli; 08-09-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: grammar + info