Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

sound rich or lean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
product78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound rich or lean?

I'm assuming this is running overly rich, because as soon as I give it more than 5 or 10% throttle, it stalls. But I have no frame of reference as to how a nitro engine sounds in the sweetspot or even just lean enough to be able to increase throttle to 50% without stalling. I posted a very short video(linked below) demonstrating the sound of my nitro engine at idle. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a listen and tell me where in the rich to lean spectrum my engine is currently idling.

https://youtu.be/i5oy1jvd-QI

Last edited by product78; 02-10-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: clarification of purpose of post
Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good so far but the engine is cold and will need about 10 minutes of driving for the tune to stabilize...chances are if its idling good when cold it will probably end up being too lean when it fully warms up

Ultimately this is the right idle speed you want, just be sure to monitor it as the engine warms up and make the adjustments needed to maintain this idle
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM
product78

How would you suggest that I proceed. I'm kind of stuck because if I give it more than a smudge of throttle, it stalls. I've gotten the running temp as high as a165 using a space heater and pocket warmers. Some folks have suggested it would be a mistake to use the HSN as a means of increasing running temps. I've been resisting the urge to make tuning adjustments because I've been told not to do any tuning until you get it up into the 200-220 degrees range. But I can't squeeze the throttle without some degree of tuning or else it'll just stall out.
Clearly, I have underestimated the impact of cold weather and I think starting the engine break in January with at least another 5 or 6 weeks of freezing temps was somewhat futile. Hopefully, we'll have a nice warm day in the not too far off future, so I can get 'er done. I'm assuming that as long as I keep the piston at BDC and use a few drops of after run oil between the days when it is running, then the duration of the break in won't be detrimental the the engine's health. Hope I'm right about that.

Anyone have any experience using one of those high powered heat guns? I'd be interested to hear about it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 PM
grabbem88

What motor is it?

Factory starting points on lsn and your hsn would be helpful ..

Do you have any fuel spitting out once started?

It's 20° where I live and it's a pita to restart if I kill it.

Might need to open throttle gap a tad to keep it from dying when you throttle it.
Let us know what you got so we can help better
Old 02-13-2016, 06:06 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by product78
How would you suggest that I proceed. I'm kind of stuck because if I give it more than a smudge of throttle, it stalls. I've gotten the running temp as high as a165 using a space heater and pocket warmers. Some folks have suggested it would be a mistake to use the HSN as a means of increasing running temps. I've been resisting the urge to make tuning adjustments because I've been told not to do any tuning until you get it up into the 200-220 degrees range. But I can't squeeze the throttle without some degree of tuning or else it'll just stall out.
Clearly, I have underestimated the impact of cold weather and I think starting the engine break in January with at least another 5 or 6 weeks of freezing temps was somewhat futile. Hopefully, we'll have a nice warm day in the not too far off future, so I can get 'er done. I'm assuming that as long as I keep the piston at BDC and use a few drops of after run oil between the days when it is running, then the duration of the break in won't be detrimental the the engine's health. Hope I'm right about that.

Anyone have any experience using one of those high powered heat guns? I'd be interested to hear about it.
its probably HSN rich if its stalling...you NEED to tune these engines accordingly and there is no issue leaning a over rich engine............

I will say the idle does sound proper and exactly what you want a engine to sound like at idle............