Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Warped wing fix?

Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Atomika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped wing fix?

So I pulled my 8ight T out of storage, & like a dummy, I didn't think to take the wing off before hand, & it warped over time as it was sitting at an odd angle. I was thinking of boiling it to make it more maliable & reshape it back to its original form. Anyone else ever have this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You can try boiling it in a double boiler for a little bit and try to reshape it. If it doesn’t go back, get a new wing. They’re cheap. I’ve never had it happen, but I know it can happen with some of these low density plastics.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Atomika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$20 for a new wing aint cheap, hence the inquiry. At any rate, for anyone else who may run into this issue, If you get a large pot, bring it to a boil & using a pair of tongs, hold the wing in the water for about one minute. Then pull from the water, reshape & run it under cold water. The plastic stays pliable for a while. After resting it on a towel for a moment, I was able to reshape it bare handed & then ran it under cold water to stablize it, & hold its form.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I would caution against running it under cold water after heating it as this can make the plastic brittle. Let it cool naturally.

At any rate, I’m glad the boiling water trick worked. That trick is common practice for making suspension arms more flexible so they’re less likely to break. Especially for RPM arms. The boiling water trick makes RPM arms virtually indestructible.