Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Lightning pro r what do I need to change

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Lightning pro r what do I need to change

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning pro r what do I need to change

I am new to racing and new to the truggy class, I just bought a Lightning pro r, I am looking for info on what needs to be changed. I was told something about the steering, the chassis braces and the shock ends.
Any and all info on setting this truggy up would be great.
Thanks in advance
Derf
Old 12-29-2005, 03:43 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Lightning pro r what do I need to change

the chassis brace are definitely first to go..most lsp owners choose kingheadz brace and idk about the steering but mine is still stock and it handles good..
Old 12-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Dnell

My advise would be to put a decent motor in, drive the truck and then determine what you need it to do. The basic setup is a good setup for a novice. I have seen guys with totally stock LSP score in the top 10 at races.

It's difficult to give setup advice because all of our driving styles are different, we visit different tracks, use different servos,clutches.... you get the picture. You need to discover you driving style first, then ask specific questions to help a certain area you're having trouble with. Some of the best advise you'll ever get is from local racers.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
DERF-54

ORIGINAL: Dnell

My advise would be to put a decent motor in, drive the truck and then determine what you need it to do. The basic setup is a good setup for a novice. I have seen guys with totally stock LSP score in the top 10 at races.

It's difficult to give setup advice because all of our driving styles are different, we visit different tracks, use different servos,clutches.... you get the picture. You need to discover you driving style first, then ask specific questions to help a certain area you're having trouble with. Some of the best advise you'll ever get is from local racers.
Thanks for the advise, it is sound, no doubt.
I guess what I was looking for are the main upgrades or weak points. As far as setup I agree with you, al tracks are different and so are the driving styles.
Thanks again
Derf
Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Dnell

Most of the weak area from the LSP were adressed with the R. I'd still pay attention to the shock ends. You may want to consider the chassis braces at some point, kingz headz are the favorites.

The shocks are good but some crashers/bashers discovered the caps could become an issue. I never had a problem. If you crash enough you'll break something. Start with 40wt all around and move on from there. Set your axles level. You should get nice level flight over most jumps and decent landings with slight bottom-out on the bigger jumps.

If the R doesn't come with the 7075 chassis, my advise is to make that investment soon. I bent 2 chassis in my LSP before buying the 7075 and no problems since and I do occasionally have a bash around the local skate park.

Use quality servos because they will take a hammering. Again, we all have our favorites but the new Hitec 5996 for throttle and 5998 for steering may be worth a try.

Engine wise, we all have our favorites here to. I'm a Novarossi, RB fan and won't spend my money on anything else, but you have to stick within your budget. If you go for a racing .21 like the Nova P5 or RB C5BB or a .28 big block, go for a pipe tuned for mid to top end. I say this because these engines are meant to rev and torque tuned pipes stangle the engines power. The JP-2 is popular but the Novarossi 086, RD Logics and Mugen MSK pipes free the engines power. You can then use clutch bells and clutch springs to tune the power. 13-14 tooth bells for the .21's and 15-17t for the .28's.

Clutch setup is a trial and error thing. It's totally dependant on you driving style and track surfaces. IMO there is no magic setup. My advise is to try a few setups and see what feels right to you. The Werks Racing clutch is expensive but once you master it, you'll be glad you spent the money. On the standard clutches I'd consider aluminum shoes because of there bite and longevity, especially if you go for a .28.

Tire wise there are only three to choose from. The first, best kept secret is the Traxxas Sportmaxx with Proline Maxx Ultrafirm foams. These are truely awesome tires on almost any surface. The others are the Proline Crimefighters and Bowties again the Bowties with the ultrafirm foams.

The LSP and R are being overshadowed with the furor over the CRT but the guys who ran them last year and continue next year will be more than a handfull for the new CRT drivers and that includes me, I have them both and will decide in the spring which one to campaign next season.

There is some good stuff on

http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/index.php?

have a visit if you haven't already.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM
DERF-54

Thanks again, I will lookinto the shock ends and chassis braces. I will have to wait untill spring time to work out the setup, we have a pile of white stuff right now.
Thanks
Derf
Old 12-29-2005, 03:11 PM
badboy2

u wanna consider getting BCE chassis theyre the best and has a good price too
Old 01-03-2006, 10:15 AM
TeamGPT

I've also just bought the Lightning pro R and everyone's answers have been helpful. But I have a few of my own. The pro R does come standard 7075 chassis so which chassis braces of kingz headz do recommend? http://www.maxxtruck.com/asp/ebprodu...?catmainid=572 Maybe it's just me but when I did a search this is what I came up with and didn't see a chassis brace. Now for the motor I purchased the Novarossi RX21P5XMOD 5 port with the 086 pipe. I've decided that I want to get the Werks Racing clutch, but I want to make sure that I get the correct one. When I hit the link above that Dnell posted, it showed the Savage Werks racing clutch. Will that system work, because I also found the following http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php?cPath=23_78 . This is all new to me. I race 1/10 scale onroad. But since an off road track opened close to where I live I couldn't help myself and I know how important it is to do it right from the start...Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
badboy2

the chassis brace are the same as the front and rear torque arm by kingheadz..and for clutch the werksracing clutch is good i have one on mine ...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
TeamGPT

Thanks, so was it the savage version 4 shoe werks racing clutch that you purchased?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM
badboy2

i think its a buggy version..i didnt even know they got different versions hehehe..
Old 01-03-2006, 11:34 AM
TeamGPT

4-Shoe Monster Truck Clutch System
version is slightly modified from the regular 35mm 1/8th scale buggy clutch system with the rear dust protection flange removed from the flywheel. This allows the clutch to fit any monster truck engine .21 and above, including the ones that come stock in many Monster Truck kits.

So I guess my question would be does yours have the Rear dust protection Flange. I would like to get the buggy version because of the flange. But if the flange is going to be a problem I'll get the monster truck version.....Thanks again
Old 01-04-2006, 01:52 AM
badboy2

i was lookin at the site and i remember i bougth this for my pcr..so now im sure its for the buggy
Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Dnell

Either clutch will work. I run the one for the 1/8th scale to fit Kyosho/Hyper 7 ... but in function you can run which ever one you prefer. The MT one is slightly larger so you could have a problem with it sticking out of the bottom, it'll depend on how low the engine sits in the chassis. So to be safe, I'd go with the buggy version.

Here's a link for braces

http://www.kingheadz.com/
Old 01-04-2006, 09:52 AM
TeamGPT

Thanks....
Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
sikmamrcer661

All you need is following,

Titanium Shock Ends

Plastic arms. The aluminum is crap heavy and way too rigid that cause breakage.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 AM
Dnell

As far as changing the alum. arms, It's true that they are rigid and can cause breakage, but the breakages were mainly confined to the suspension hangers. On the Pro R, the hangers have been upgraded and although the armss are heavier than the plastic arms, the overall weight of the truck isn't over the top and hasn't stop the LSP from doing very well in the Unlimited Class last season whereever it was raced. On top of that, after a season of racing and bash sessions down the skate park, I never broke or bent an arm, They're looking a bit beat up, but they are perfectly straight. I went through my fair share of suspension hangers and shockends though.

To protect the shock ends it's advisable to set up your droop screws. the suspension has a lot of travel beyond the length of the shocks and the constant full extension of the shocks stresses the ends. Definately a spare part to keep in your pit box.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
TeamGPT

Alright my truck is now up graded and ready to race. I have one more question for my fellow Lightning pro R racers. I'm wanting to get a set up system like I have for my onroad cars. Should I get the Hudy 1/8 buggy system or the monster truck system?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:24 AM
Dnell

Although I doubt it's worth the money, buggy system is closer to what you need.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:35 PM
TeamGPT

Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 AM
TeamGPT

Alright, I ran the truggy for the first time last Sat night. I used the tires that came with the truck and a set of crime fighters and the truggy was really loose, I even adjusted my werks racing clutch to help this. Since I didn't have time to change the diff lube I broke out the my last set of tires (LP Komodo Dragons). The truggy hooked up, however since these tires are alot shorter then the average tires I was way under geared. I have both clutch bells that I could find 14 and 13 which still don't give me enough gear. So my question is what are some more gear options?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Dnell

Gearing; you are the only one who can determine the right gearing. You're either trying to achieve some more top-end or bottom-end
14 and 15 puts you right in the middle. This is all dependant on the engine you're running as well. A .21 might not pull a 15 that well unless you have a long straight.

I take a full set of cb's with me because each track is different and what works well in the morning might not work so well after a few races have been run.

I'd take it down the track and race around with another buggy or truck. You should be able to stay in front of the truck and keep up with a buggy through most of the track, unless it's really tight where the buggies power to weight can really carry the day.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
TeamGPT

I'm unable to find a anything larger than a 14 tooth clutch bell for the lightning. The 15 tooth bell is it a HPI clutch bell? I did find this Hot Bodies Clutch Bell Truckzilla 17T, will this work? The track I run on does have long straights. The motor I run is the rx21 p5xm modified by Jim Hottinger. The only other option I see is that I change the center gear.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Dnell

You still haven't said what you're looking to achieve. A 17 would put over 45mph but the bottom end would be pretty slow. As I said 14 and 15 would put you right about there for most tracks because at the end of the day, if you're looking for top speed, it's about how long it takes to get to your top speed that counts as well.

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....fd78948170b71c

In all of my racing last year with the LSP and I visited 10 tracks, noone ever complained of not having enough gearing. come to think of it I can't remember anyone on a forum complain of it either.

Maybe you can get some more help here:
http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/in...65&act=SC&c=16
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 AM
NITROSENSE

Hi LSP Guys The New V2-R Chassis will be in next week
They are 7075 Billet w Mil s Hard ano, Very stiff and very nice.

Info At [email protected]

Thank you Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.