Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 what is the best truggy for the money? >

what is the best truggy for the money?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

what is the best truggy for the money?

Old 02-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best truggy for the money?

Hi, I'm gonna buy a Truggy in the next weeks , and I want to know wich one is the best inversion for the money between, the

HPI HellFire RTR
Ofna Jammin X1 RTR

thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM

Default RE: what is the best truggy for the money?

for the money I would say I mayhem st. Just make sure to loctite the screws before running it too hard.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:19 AM

between the two that you list i would pick the jammin there more popular and the parts availability will be better and i think its a better performer
Old 03-10-2006, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: eehsnab

for the money I would say I mayhem st. Just make sure to loctite the screws before running it too hard.
Does it have a web page??
What about a jammin??
Old 03-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jammin is good but pricey, best buy is the LSP.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:10 PM
My Feedback: (13)

both of ur choices are good im pretty sure ur gonna like which ever truggy u get ..
Old 03-11-2006, 11:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Speaking from experience. You'll be much more happy with the Sportwerks Mayhem ST than the others listed. A few dollars more spent to fix a few weak spots in the beginning and you'll have one bad arse truggy on your hands.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:09 AM

LSP-R. i recently put a .28 in my LSP and it HAULS @$$! i am a beginner and i was smokin the CRT. i never got a chance to run side by side with a hellfire cause we never ran at the same time. both the LSPs and the hellfire are stout trucks. thats how hpi makes their stuff: everything is braced to everything so everything is braced. i'd say LSP-R so you can pick a radio and motor, or hellfire which still hauls too right out of the box.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:26 AM

Yeah, the Hellfire hauls................itself......but barely. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice truck but it’s heavily under powered and consists of too much plastic where their should be other material.

Really man, at the our local track that we run, two of our buddies just got Hellfires and a few of us have Mayhem ST’s. At current, I have the only stock ST (with the exception of 5mm shock towers and strut brace upgrades). Both Hellfires are the only truggies out there than can run the entire track “flat footed” while the rest of us fan the throttle and there is the occasional “sorry dude, didn’t mean to run into you like that” (talking to a Hellfire owner).

And then take them over the dirt drag track......... The stock ST vs. the Hellfire? BWAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA! And that cost you how much again? Pffffffffffft!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:32 AM

severely underpowered my ass! it has a fricken .28 H.O. in it! the one i saw must have been properly tuned. and it was smokin an ST that was on the track at the same time.... lapping him.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:40 AM

I saw, I saw, I read, I heard........

*rolleyes*

Tell ya what, get you a Hellfire and when you're ready lemme know. Kansas isn't that far from me and I'll fly over with a an ST new in the box, break it in before your very eyes, tune it and we'll run them. Drag and track. Winner takes the others truck and $500.

Deal?

P.S. No, I'm not talking junk here. I'm dead serious. We race for money in these parts.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:20 AM

You gotta big pie-hole Billyboy! I was at the same track and seen it for myself,that ST was getting smoked by the Hellfire. Not even close and I thought the MT was doing good until the Hellfire shown up. No way he could have driven that Hellfire "flat footed".

BTW, the LSP was smoking it too,but whatever........ We were just having fun out there,not comparing pee-pees! Do your buddies a favor,and help them tune their trucks.

Tell ya what Sillyman, I'll video it the next time and save you the trip. You must want a Hellfire aweful bad to fly all the way over here. Just ask your LHS for one!

Old 03-12-2006, 01:13 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Too much plastic? What does that mean? Plastics or plastic composites are way under-rated. Plastics are light-weight, flexible, and cheap. Aluminum bends and stays that way. Aluminum is heavy and expensive. IMO, this hobby is way into "exotic" materials, where most of the time its just "bling" and NO engineering has been done to determine that a material other than composite plastic is better.

And what alot of people don't realize is that these trucks, at least the top-end ones, are designed so that "when" a failure occurs its either a cheap piece to replace or is easily accessable. So, when people thinking that they won't have as many broken arms by going to aluminum, they just shift the "failure point" to a different part. Arms are cheap and easy to replace.

Comparisons at the track mean NOTHING especially when there too many factors. Driver ability or lack of, state of tune both regarding the engine and suspension play too big a role... So, unless you've got all the vehicles tuned as best as they can be, use the correct tires, have the suspension set-up correctly and have equally talented drivers, you might as well be comparing against Xmods...

ORIGINAL: Billyman

Yeah, the Hellfire hauls................itself......but barely. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice truck but it’s heavily under powered and consists of too much plastic where their should be other material.

Really man, at the our local track that we run, two of our buddies just got Hellfires and a few of us have Mayhem ST’s. At current, I have the only stock ST (with the exception of 5mm shock towers and strut brace upgrades). Both Hellfires are the only truggies out there than can run the entire track “flat footed” while the rest of us fan the throttle and there is the occasional “sorry dude, didn’t mean to run into you like that” (talking to a Hellfire owner).

And then take them over the dirt drag track......... The stock ST vs. the Hellfire? BWAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA! And that cost you how much again? Pffffffffffft!
Old 03-12-2006, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: pulse213

You gotta big pie-hole Billyboy! I was at the same track and seen it for myself,that ST was getting smoked by the Hellfire. Not even close and I thought the MT was doing good until the Hellfire shown up. No way he could have driven that Hellfire "flat footed".

BTW, the LSP was smoking it too,but whatever........ We were just having fun out there,not comparing pee-pees! Do your buddies a favor,and help them tune their trucks.

Tell ya what Sillyman, I'll video it the next time and save you the trip. You must want a Hellfire aweful bad to fly all the way over here. Just ask your LHS for one!
Heh, I thought I could ruffle some feathers, kids are too easy.

A couple of things:

Straight up though, I do like the Hellfire. Recently I wanted a new truck and couldn’t decide on which truggy to get. A couple of co-workers has Mayhem ST’s as well as the buggies. I had already seen these along with the Jammin run and was more than impressed with the ST’s. But, I patiently awaited the release of the Hellfire since I already new 2 guys that where already dead set upon getting them. Having not seen “junk” from HPI in a very long time, I too was already leaning toward the Hellfire. Upon those guys getting those trucks and having a look see, I liked it. It has some flaws and some plastics where there should be aluminum but this is true for every car or truck available so this didn’t bother me. Besides, that’s why man makes upgrade parts. After they were broke in and well tuned, head to head testing and comparisons would soon ensue.

After about 30 minutes into it all, there was no comparison and my mind was made up. I had no hesitation in coming home and placing my order for the Mayhem ST. The Hellfire, although a nice truck, would barely clear the doubles (about 20ft peak to peak). It would catch the downside of the second hill mind you but the other guys with their ST’s where landing a fair amount in front of the second hill on the flat of the track. The Hellfire was wide open coming off the turn, rocketing downhill, to hit the first hill of the doubles. The ST’s were fanning their throttles.

I’ll also add.......we did tune them for them. We have an RC engine dyno and RC chassis dyno. We do port and polish work and tune the engines on the dyno’s. We also play with clutch setups this way too. I’m here to tell you that the HPI 4.6 is comparable to the O.S. .21 (non-turbo) as far as power and it’s ban there of.

Lastly, we really do race for $$$ and vehicles. We get pretty serious about the whole ordeal. If anyone of us get a vehicle out of a race, we either use it for parts, improve on it and use it ourselves or sell the hell of it. My offer was no bluff. If you get a Hellfire and would like to put it up to where your mouth is lemme know. I have no problems with going over there and running you. If you win, you get a brand new truck, all that comes with it, and $500. How can you go wrong?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: AlphaAuriga

Too much plastic? What does that mean? Plastics or plastic composites are way under-rated. Plastics are light-weight, flexible, and cheap. Aluminum bends and stays that way. Aluminum is heavy and expensive. IMO, this hobby is way into "exotic" materials, where most of the time its just "bling" and NO engineering has been done to determine that a material other than composite plastic is better.

And what alot of people don't realize is that these trucks, at least the top-end ones, are designed so that "when" a failure occurs its either a cheap piece to replace or is easily accessable. So, when people thinking that they won't have as many broken arms by going to aluminum, they just shift the "failure point" to a different part. Arms are cheap and easy to replace.

Comparisons at the track mean NOTHING especially when there too many factors. Driver ability or lack of, state of tune both regarding the engine and suspension play too big a role... So, unless you've got all the vehicles tuned as best as they can be, use the correct tires, have the suspension set-up correctly and have equally talented drivers, you might as well be comparing against Xmods...
Hang on there killer. You act like I just started in RC. I haven’t a clue of how old you are but willing to bet I’ve been running cars/trucks, planes and helicopters nearly as long as you’ve been born.

However, I agree with you on the lot of your babble. I’ve preached and preached on these very area’s for years. Especially to the new comers into the sport or hobby. So with this experience, yes, I can look at a car or truck and say “hmm, that is most definitely going to be a problem right there”.

Relax.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Oh.....

Here's a little video (I say little but it's 14 megs). The first truck is one of our "money/vehicle takers". It's a Traxxes Rustler with a nicely ported and tuned engine. The second truck is a "customers" T-Maxx and we were testing the newly ported and tuned engine. I need to put down the radio long enough to get some video of our ST's and Mayhem buggies so you can see those too. Look for those video clips in the future.

Enjoy.

Download rcstuff.wmv - Hosted by StangSource.com
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (17)

I'm just fine

I doubt you've been runnin' RC for as long as I've been around. I'm closer to 50 than I ever thought I'd be. I was one of Race Prep's "satellite" racers back when they were running their version of the AYK Radiant... Runnin' RC way before that as well...

I seriously doubt you can "just look" at something and determine its going to be a weak point. As an example just pointing to an A-arm is too general. Just about all A-arms will fail under the correct circumstances. Point to the exact spot on the A-arm where it'll break, what type of a force will cause it to break, I'll applaud you and have the engineering firm I work for hire you, cause we use million dollar computers to determine where weak spots are on our designs....

Now spill the beans, am I older or are you?

ORIGINAL: Billyman

Hang on there killer. You act like I just started in RC. I haven’t a clue of how old you are but willing to bet I’ve been running cars/trucks, planes and helicopters nearly as long as you’ve been born.

However, I agree with you on the lot of your babble. I’ve preached and preached on these very area’s for years. Especially to the new comers into the sport or hobby. So with this experience, yes, I can look at a car or truck and say “hmm, that is most definitely going to be a problem right there”.

Relax.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:09 PM

do you really wanna fly x miles to come put down a kid? also why and HOW could a kid put up a $620 truck along with $500. its all i can do to scrap up money to get parts. if i had $1120 lying around, i'd turn down your offer and go buy a hellfire. and find a little more money and get an ST. one of the things i like about the ST is the backflips! that little lightweight truck with the .26 flips right over! infact the guy at the track was backflipping over the big jump. it was sweet! theres a truck out there for every purpose of r/c-ing and a driver and a brand basher to go with it. i'll admit, ive bashed brands with a few traxxas owners, but now i love to laugh at it.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Yeah kids are too easy,and that's why I'm stepping in-between you and my kid. All he did was gave his opinion,and you trashed him big man.

I've heard of guys like you ripping kids off at the track. You want a play with someone your size,I'm your Huckleberry!

Don't worry about this guy Wizz,he's just another forum bully. You know the saying,"never argue with an idiot,he'll just bring you down to his level".

They are just toys,and he's trying to take yours. Ignore him..........

Old 03-12-2006, 10:08 PM

i have the mayhem buggy and its good but the truggy i saw it run and it handles poorly..watch the vids and youll see
Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 PM

im not sure if i can post this site but it has the vid of mayhem st..if its not allowed just take it off thanks
http://h1072210.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=SWK1210
Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 PM

I'm just fine

I doubt you've been runnin' RC for as long as I've been around. I'm closer to 50 than I ever thought I'd be. I was one of Race Prep's "satellite" racers back when they were running their version of the AYK Radiant... Runnin' RC way before that as well...

I seriously doubt you can "just look" at something and determine its going to be a weak point. As an example just pointing to an A-arm is too general. Just about all A-arms will fail under the correct circumstances. Point to the exact spot on the A-arm where it'll break, what type of a force will cause it to break, I'll applaud you and have the engineering firm I work for hire you, cause we use million dollar computers to determine where weak spots are on our designs....

Now spill the beans, am I older or are you?
One of your doubt's is confirmed. At 33 I’m far from your years of experience in both life and RC.

You seem to have taken something I said out of context. I never said anything about an exact spot on an A-arm that I thought would break or anything of that manner. Keep my statement as vague as it was/is and just about anyone of us that have been running various cars and trucks an for years can easily identify engineering flaws on suspensions, chassis, etc. Surely this is no brainer stuff to you. Some problem area’s are a little more difficult to see visually and have to be tested to find these area’s. They always show their faces eventually and I’ll re-engineer whatever I have to fix the problem, not just replace the parts.

I am an 1/1 performance auto tech, machinist, CNC machinist, engineer, Cad designer, engine builder, Dyno tuner. There are a few us at the shop in which I work that have been into RC for a very long time just as I am. We got into porting engines pretty heavily about 2 years ago and built an RC engine dyno and chassis dyno and do this on the side. We have such a large group of private members to a private track that we see just about every top vehicle and manufacturer to date. For those of us at “the shop” we are given the vehicles for a complete look over and deliver pre-fixes of obvious problems. Any other problems will arise later and we address them then.

So yes, I can just look at most setups and see engineering flaws and weak spots. I’m redesigning the rear suspension on my ST right now. It was something me and a co-worker agreed that would be a problem and it has been.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:31 PM

I own a Hellfire. But I dont think anything performs out there like a Jammin.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 PM

Yeah kids are too easy,and that's why I'm stepping in-between you and my kid. All he did was gave his opinion,and you trashed him big man.

I've heard of guys like you ripping kids off at the track. You want a play with someone your size,I'm your Huckleberry!

Don't worry about this guy Wizz,he's just another forum bully. You know the saying,"never argue with an idiot,he'll just bring you down to his level".

1) He did give his opinion and I gave mine. Your son was the one that turned it into “crap talking” I merely retorted. Go back and read and follow the comments up the “challenge”.

What gets me is when people, like that of your son, will talk smack all day long with little to no actual experience with the lot of it. I made a statement of the Hellfire being underpowered. His return was “severely underpowered my ass! it has a fricken .28 H.O. in it! the one i saw must have been properly tuned”. So with this I have to ask myself, how many of these engines has he put on a dyno? How many other engines has he put on a dyno? What kind of comparisons has he seen? And how many has he had his hands on? Me being an RC engine modifier and dyno tuner, he’s done nothing but attempt to insult not only my intelligence by my experience too.

Realistically, I have no problems with your son. I’m trying to make him think. One needs to learn to back up your statements or claims is all. I’m not calling him a liar either. If he says he saw a Hellfire burnin’ up an ST, I have no reason to doubt him. But did he ever stop to wonder if the ST was properly tuned?

And no, you don’t know guys like me.......like you think you do anyway. I don’t go to the track and rip off kids. Our track is privately owned and 99% of the folks that frequent the track(s) are all adults. Most of us have families and the like. There is always stiff competition between us (when we aren’t just out having a good time) and we race for serious money and sometimes “pink slips”. But this is all done between us, the adults, in our very large group of probably 50 or so....again, adults.

However, you’re an adult. So with that I’ll invite you to the same offer. A race, drag or track, street or dirt....your call. It would be “run what you brung”. I’ve got some friends in Texas I need to visit and could schedule you in so it wouldn’t be a senseless trip altogether. You game?

I also don’t consider myself as a forum bully but I did come off awfully strong here and for that I apologize.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Oh my, we didn't realize who we were talking to!

Your that Billyman. Why your a legend around these parts. You'll have to forgive us for posting our un-educated opinions on your forum. You see,we've only been bashing RCing for a few years now and just recently gotten into the racing side of it. I also see now that we've been approaching this hobby all wrong.

I thought it would be good for a kid to have a big-boy toy,which required mechanical skills to keep it going. It soon became a great way for me to spend time with my kid,whom I rarely get to see anymore with all the other activities and sports he's involved in. I thought it was working well enough to purchase a nitro machine for myself. We unfortunately made the mistake thinking the next level (racing) would be just as fun. We had no idea that dyno'd motors, engineering wisdom, and pinks were required to be part of this crowd. We'll have to sell the truggy and go back to bashing,where things aren't so serious and RC's are still toys.

He's going to be so disappointed,as he was doing so well. His first day of practicing on a track he was burning most everything but the buggies with just an LSP. He probably could have been good at it,if I would have only had a fraction of the knowledge or skills that you must posses. If we're fortunate enough to have you grace us with your presence at the track,I'm sure the owner would shut it down for you to put on your clinic.

Get a life dude!

Sure I'm game (for a friendly race),but you better have a huge set of kahunas if you show up at our track with an attitude like that. We don't impress that easily.

We'll leave you to your fan club now. Feel free to continue twisting and spinning our posts to your liking. If you need us for more image boosting,we'll be in the sandbox playing with our Tonka's.

Have a nice day sir Billy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.