Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy engine selection

Old 03-28-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truggy engine selection

Nox, do I fill my diffs all the way up?, and what steering servo are using?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:23 PM

world of difference!!!! No questions asked. For some reason it just like it.. i dont know why but it does. I didnt want to say to the guy naaa im Ok with what i have, so i took the pipe put it on and never looked back.
ORIGINAL: Spurface

wmff, how does the JP1 compare to the OS T2060?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 PM

fill them to the cross bars or a little above will be OK. upgrade to the P6 orange Kyosho o rings too.

Im running 5 in the front 7 in the center and 2 in the rear. Had the same set up as nox but it didnt like it on the track im at. now it dont push.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 PM

are these the one? are these the same pipe?
ORIGINAL: wmff82

I have the JP2 pipe setting in my box right now because it didnt like it. Its good,but Iwent on advice of another to switch to the jP1. I then borrowed one and tried it and it was really really different. Woke it up. Now my JP FX21 B5 has the JP1 on it..it loves it!!!

Then one day a partial factory sponsored driver says " put this on your V Spec and try it" It was the T2060 by OS. and WOW. That day I had one overnight shipped to me..

ORIGINAL: miswa

vspec doesnt like the jp2 pipe?[] well that just ruined my day[&o] have you tried it or its just rumors?

Also if you re getting serious about the motors then

A The JP mod FX21 B5N "Novarossi" is the man above men. i have this motor but have not dialed it in yet. My V spec is running like no ther right now and dont want to swap it over. Everyone is telling not to just yet. I just have the Vspec running so good right now.
mugenracing.com sales them on their site.

The motor I mentioned is around 400.00 but it is worth it. I have seen one in action and i drool when i see it.

I do know this. the P5 and B5 or even the plus 21-5 is loving the Jp1 pipe.
The V spec doesnt like the Jp2 as much as it likes the Jp1. With the Jp1 it really woke something up, but slap you on a t 2060 pipe and you have created a monster! The good thing about it is you dont loose any low end. I know the 2060 is a top pipe but it does not effect the low end of the V spec. It loves it. i run 230 all day long!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28303.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	435028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59758.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	435029  
Old 03-29-2006, 12:19 AM

the left one!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 AM

these pipes looks the same ceps for the end that connects to the header. you think they are the same?

the left one!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:16 AM

is the vspec available in pull start?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the tips fellas, it sounds the JP1 is as good as the OS pipe, or am I wrong?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:34 AM

Yes The Jp1 will be fine, the V spec just likes the OS pipe better. Smoothens it out, and allows for better tuning. Bu the JP1 is no slouch!

Look into the 2050 pipe as well from OS
Old 03-30-2006, 12:47 AM

I have a 2050 on my EB modded P5x and it really woke up the engine compaired to the JP-2 that I had on it.

Now my Kyosho ST-R should be here next week, Im thinking on getting a new engine to put in it.
I cant decide on the 528xr or the OS v-spec.

If I got the 528, Id probably use the JP-2
If I got the v-spec, then obviously I'd use the 2050

Whats the difference between the 2050 and the 2060?
Is one a mid-end and one a high-end pipe?

Im just loyal to the Novarossi after the great performance Ive had with the P5. Its only died on my one time, and its still on its second glow plug with 4 gallons of use!
I was kind of leaning toward the 528xr, but now Im hearing good things about the v spec.
What to do, what to do? lol
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: roscoe71

well i had a rossi 28 just sold it but my buddy has one right now with a 7mm insert jp2 pipe and he can barley get through a 5min. qualifier with out a stop. ive also seen the rb concepts x-3 and c-5bb .21 mills run right with the rossi .28 mills and they will run 8-9mins. on a tank. so in my opinion and from my personal expeirience i will run a high end .21 lookin like a rb worlds x-3. but you will get the guys that swear by a .28. i almost think the rossi 28 8 port is almost to much power and can make a truggy hard to handle. my 2 cents
i ordered a nova rex 21 8 port for my new crt wen it comes and with a jp-1 pipe
cant wait
yes the 28's dont get great economy but hey if u like refueling more often get a 28 and the 28's do have an advantage like incredible low end (i have a sportwerks 26 buggy rtr and the lowend is a bit impressive but top end its not hot)
but im running a stock pipe so that explains it
Old 03-31-2006, 06:36 PM

Yes one is a low mid and one is a a high, Trust me didnt loose a bi of low by going to the 2060. I asked the same question to the guy that introduced me to the 2060.

Also I put my JP mod Novarossi FX21 B5N "Black" on with the JP2, This motor is very comparfable to the OS V Spec in the low end but Has a tad bit more top. It is much more linear and smooth with out the spastic throttle response. I mean its there trust me but not as touchy. Much more smooth. Im running it tommorow to see how it does. For 400.00 it better show me something..lol. I put all 3 pipes on this motor,the JP1,JP2 and 2060.. It definatly like the JP1, huge difference. I have heard this about the Novas from several people.

ORIGINAL: Eracer76

I have a 2050 on my EB modded P5x and it really woke up the engine compaired to the JP-2 that I had on it.

Now my Kyosho ST-R should be here next week, Im thinking on getting a new engine to put in it.
I cant decide on the 528xr or the OS v-spec.

If I got the 528, Id probably use the JP-2
If I got the v-spec, then obviously I'd use the 2050

Whats the difference between the 2050 and the 2060?
Is one a mid-end and one a high-end pipe?

Im just loyal to the Novarossi after the great performance Ive had with the P5. Its only died on my one time, and its still on its second glow plug with 4 gallons of use!
I was kind of leaning toward the 528xr, but now Im hearing good things about the v spec.
What to do, what to do? lol
Old 03-31-2006, 07:44 PM

fill your diffs 80%...

and i am using Airtronics 94358 servos for both my steering and throttle..they have been great to me.

my current set up has been great at a couple of different tracks, more racing is about started for some more clubs/tracks here locally, so i will see how well i do on other tracks...so far i have ran my set up on 3 different track settings, the only things that changed for each track was my shock settings and tires/rims and droop screws...i have yet to change my diff fluid for each track..as this set up seems fine.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:53 PM

my P5X isnt modded...but that is another thing...it has YET to shut down on me...it keeps going and going..as long there is fuel in the tank...on one tank, she will last me 8 to 9 minutes of run time, depending which track i am on..which i think is excellent..considering the amount of power it displays.

for 240 dollars, i dont see how can anything else be justified..JMHO

and if you are willing to spend more money, then i dont see anything measuring up to the nova 528...especially considering they are selling for 300 dollars now..[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-31-2006, 11:18 PM

quote:

"fill your diffs 80%" is it bad to fill them full to about the top? i did on my buggy but wen the truggy comes ill make sure i do that
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 AM

I just watched a guy run the P-5 plus in his buggy at the track. The motor is flat out insane! It has gobs of usable power all across the board, from low end torque all the way up to the blistering top end. You can just hear the performance, this thing has a viscious sounding crackle with the JP 1 pipe like I've never heard from a 21 engine. If fuel consumption is not a big concern, then nothing comes close to my RB mods Rex 528 xr. If I could use only 1 word to describe it, I would have to say "EVIL." This motor is a bullet. This motor does it all, from the seriously snappy low end grunt all the way up to the "shot out of a cannon" top end. I also have an RB mods Rex P-5x in my buggy, tame compared to the 528xr but still a silly fast motor with tons of usable power delivered "smoothly" all across the power band. There are so many variables here so it's a very difficult question to answer. Roscoe makes a good point about fuel economy, if you plan on racing with the long mains, its a good idea to stick to the high end 21's. In the right hands, they can hang with a good 28. Is the 28 much faster than the 21? Yes it is. In a drag race situation, 2 identically prepared trucks one with a good 21 one with a good 28, the 28 will smoke the 21, but thats not what we are talking about. The 21 will make up for the shortage of power by giving better fuel economy and is more "forgiving" in the hands of an inexperienced driver, the 21 will be easier to control. Plus being on a track in race conditions levels the playing field between the two motors. I havent even gotten into price, thats another topic altogether. I could go on and on but I think I made the point. If you want a balls out ballistic motor, go with a good 28, if you want something well rounded, fuel efficient, go with a 21. Both are dangerous and will win races with the right conditions in the right hands.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:31 AM

"fill your diffs 80%" is it bad to fill them full to about the top? i did on my buggy but wen the truggy comes ill make sure i do that
thats what was suggested to me when i inquired about filling my diffs..and now i can see why you only fill up to 80%...

what happens is the oil over flows out the diff if you fill it right to the top before you put the diff together...also it may prevent the gears from moving more so then what is intended..

im sure there are better explenations on the "what if's"

but when you dfo fill the diff 80%, you should be covering the gears so to say...

Old 04-01-2006, 03:45 AM

Nitrosport, you have not said much about the OS Vspec, a lot of racers seem to praise this engine. How does it compare to the 528xr? And do you have a link with stats for this engine?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:34 PM

i have to richen my mach .28 up to keep it cool. but it is a low rpm motor and reaches its 28,000 limit quick with the stock 13t cb. our local track is real small and tight so top end isnt an issue. the lowend is great and really zips around the small track. i'd say if you get a .28 get a larger cooling head to keep cool and not sacrifice your fuel economy.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:02 AM

Wizz, how does a hot running engine effect fuel economy?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 AM

How does it compare to the 528xr? And do you have a link with stats for this engine?
Although the VSpec does not appear in this database, there are a couple of hot .21's in the line-up. The 528's performance is way above its direct competitors not only in terms of horsepower, but overall torque and the way it's delivered, which is more important in truck racing. Unfortunately there's no direct comparison between the two engines.

http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/Engine%20Database.htm
Old 04-02-2006, 11:35 AM

Wizz, how does a hot running engine effect fuel economy?
if youre motor is real hot, you richen it up to help cool the motor. the fuel actually cools the motor. so if you add more fuel to cool the motor you use fuel quicker.

atleast i think thats how it works...
Old 04-02-2006, 11:38 AM

Yeah, sounds about right. Do u think by running a higher % nitro content in fuel will help reduce engine temps?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:07 PM

if youre motor is real hot, you richen it up to help cool the motor. the fuel actually cools the motor. so if you add more fuel to cool the motor you use fuel quicker.

atleast i think thats how it works...
It's not as simple as that. Running your engine richer in itself burns more fuel, but there's a variable related to the conditions the engine is being subjected (racing/bashing).
A lean engine will burn less fuel at the expense of increased temperature. Burning a higher percentage fuel can aid to some extent the cooling but in the case of say 30%, the increase in performance offered by the percentage will have an effect on temperature.

It gets all scientific from there but the bottom line is, each engine has a normal operating temperature that will give best overall performance. You can push this performance up a bit (boost HP) by running lean at the risk of decreased engine life due to temperature and lack of lubrication, who's signs are a lack of smoke.

When you read the word tuning for performance, it's about getting an engine to make as much power as possible while still maintaining lubrication (smoke). An engine can run at 300 degress but if you've got smoke at high rpm then you're getting lubrication that keep it save from self destruction.

It is possible to run an engine too cold and never see what it can really do. Aftermarket heads can cause you to run too cold and risk running an engine too lean in search of performance. So heat and fuel economy in the real world of how these engines work is hard to tie together. Best performance and smoke is what you're after and your fuel economy is what it is after that. If you need more cooling, cut vents in your body.

The variable in this is if you're in a hot climate already where stricking the balance, if your tuning skilz aren't together, can get tricky
Old 04-02-2006, 09:57 PM

STS .28 Cheap, powerful. and reliable
$115.00

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.