Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy engine selection

Old 04-03-2006, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truggy engine selection

I think you're right Dnell regards nitro content and running temps. Higher percentage can aid cooling to an extent, and then I think temps are gonna climb if you are using 30% nitro because it contains more energy, bigger bang = more heat. I'm gonna switch from 16% to 25% and hopefully this should bring my temps down a bit. Do you think I will see any difference in performance?

Marrasca, you got any performance figures on the STS DB .21?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:12 AM

I'm gonna switch from 16% to 25% and hopefully this should bring my temps down a bit.
20-25% will give you better performance and aid cooling. I don't know much about your particular engine but most sport engines run better on 20/25% anyway, the manufacturers set them up that way.

Any other cooling issues you may have could be down to airflow around the engine head and in some cases (not often), the type of plug you run (hot/med/cold).

When you switch fuels, you need to do a mini break-in to give the engine time to get use to the new fuel properties. Usually a tank or two will be enough. unless you 'heat cycle' which will take about a tank full. If you need more info on 'heat cycling', I can post a link for you to keep for reference.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 AM

ok thanks for the tips mate [8D]
Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Dnell

It's not as simple as that. Running your engine richer in itself burns more fuel, but there's a variable related to the conditions the engine is being subjected (racing/bashing).
A lean engine will burn less fuel at the expense of increased temperature. Burning a higher percentage fuel can aid to some extent the cooling but in the case of say 30%, the increase in performance offered by the percentage will have an effect on temperature.

It gets all scientific from there but the bottom line is, each engine has a normal operating temperature that will give best overall performance. You can push this performance up a bit (boost HP) by running lean at the risk of decreased engine life due to temperature and lack of lubrication, who's signs are a lack of smoke.

When you read the word tuning for performance, it's about getting an engine to make as much power as possible while still maintaining lubrication (smoke). An engine can run at 300 degress but if you've got smoke at high rpm then you're getting lubrication that keep it save from self destruction.

It is possible to run an engine too cold and never see what it can really do. Aftermarket heads can cause you to run too cold and risk running an engine too lean in search of performance. So heat and fuel economy in the real world of how these engines work is hard to tie together. Best performance and smoke is what you're after and your fuel economy is what it is after that. If you need more cooling, cut vents in your body.

The variable in this is if you're in a hot climate already where stricking the balance, if your tuning skilz aren't together, can get tricky
you are 100% correct Dnell. i used to run my old wasp .28 atleast 290F when she'd make the most power, and there was lots of smoke. the mach .28 is a low rpm motor and reaches its 28,000 fast with stock gears. she is puttin out lots of smoke on the bottom end and good amount on the mid to high range point (where she makes the power). soon im gonna jump up a tooth on the cb to slow the rpms down and probably lean the low end out just a little. my dad has always told me that tuning by temperatures is the wrong way to do it. smoke is the key. the body i have on it now has the driverside windsheild and window cut out and the motor still gets a little warm, probably cause the body is so tightly wrapped. the next time i go out, with the taller gear, i will use your advise and tune accordingly. thanks a lot!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:19 AM

look what this topic made me buy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34023.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	445064