Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy engine selection

Old 03-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy engine selection

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new engine for my HB LS racer, how do the .21's perform against the .28's in this truggy and would I really need the power of a .28?
Old 03-26-2006, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Truggy engine selection

well i had a rossi 28 just sold it but my buddy has one right now with a 7mm insert jp2 pipe and he can barley get through a 5min. qualifier with out a stop. ive also seen the rb concepts x-3 and c-5bb .21 mills run right with the rossi .28 mills and they will run 8-9mins. on a tank. so in my opinion and from my personal expeirience i will run a high end .21 lookin like a rb worlds x-3. but you will get the guys that swear by a .28. i almost think the rossi 28 8 port is almost to much power and can make a truggy hard to handle. my 2 cents
Old 03-26-2006, 03:51 PM

Do the .21's run hotter because they are having to work harder?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:12 PM

My .21 Vspec never gets above 220. Not sure about other .21 engines but the Vspec is not struggling to get my CRT around the track.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Can your 21 hang with the 28's?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:03 PM

most 21's i hear can out run a 28 easily becuz the 21 have better top end
Old 03-26-2006, 07:17 PM

The Vspec is the only .21 I would run on a truggy. After ALOT of forum searching and asking around I chose it for my new engine. I had a Novarossi .28 528, which IS the fastest and most powerful engine your going to find right now but it was too hard for a new guy like me to keep in tune. Also it was just too much power and almost uncontrollable at the track. Most I got out of it was about 5 min run time on a full tank of gas. The Vspec I have found on the other hand is the perfect match of fuel economy, low end torque, and top end. I see now why its such a popular engine. Remember, what usually wins a race isn't the fastest engine. Its the best driver.
I guess its all just personal preference really. If I were to get a engine bigger than a .21 it would be a picco .27. I hear alot of good things about that one, and its cheap.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:39 PM

im going to have my crt this friday and i ordered it with a jp2 pipe. if i get the os vspec and use the jp2 pipe, will the pipe kill the low end of the os vspec? i hope not coz i dont think i can return the pipe and get the jp1 instead[]
Old 03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
My Feedback: (3)

from what i hear about the v-spec you wont have any probs with the power
Old 03-26-2006, 08:56 PM

I originally ran a JP-2 with my Vspec but it cracked at the end so I got a JP-1 at the shop since they didn't have a JP-2 in stock. You will love the JP-2. It doesn't rob the low end power at all. The Vspec has so much low end you need to strap a tree trunk to the back of your truck to really slow it down :P
Well maybe that a bit much, but you get the idea.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM

I have the Novarossi .28 with a JP-1 pipe and I really like it. I debated on the .21 vs .28, but eventually chose the .28. So far, I am completely happy with the power and find it to be quite manageable. As far as fuel economy, I am averaging about 7.6 to 7.7 minutes. I am definitely glad I chose what I chose, but I'm sure either would work out and you would be happy.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 PM

thats awesome! ima run mine with the os 30 for now and get the vspec before the racing starts, we'll see what happens
Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 PM

Look into the Vspec,Novarossi B5N JP mod, P5X or the Nova plus 21-5
Old 03-26-2006, 11:42 PM

i currently run a REX P5 motor in my truggy..i have yet to find a track that i can open this motor up..it has been a killer engine for me so far...this motor has been soo reliable..and tuning??? all i have made right out of the box was one turn on the HSN and a slight turn on my LSN..at the track...all i need to do is do slight adjustments before i run on the track (if that, most of the time i havent found the need to adjust anything)...if that isnt easy tuning then i dont know what is.

i have done 5 minute heats, 10 minute heats, 30 minute heats...it has never shut down, and i have been running at 240 constantly...i have only ran my motor at 290 once for 2 laps..and that was when i was tuning my engine when i changed to my new fioroni clutch. once i got it tuned correctly to my new clutch..i ran my engine once again at a constant temp 245...blue smoke right out of the turns and the responce was smooth and constant...

i have seen a Vspec run on a truggy once before..in fact i will be racing against the same individual running his Vspec this weekend..i didnt see anything that made me want to switch...

if i am going to switch to any other motor for my truggy, it will be the novarossi 528.

you cant go wrong with a P5...other manufacturers are still chasing what novarossi engines have had for many years.

i also know of some individuals who ran a novarossi .21BFT 3 port motor with great success in a LSP against GOOD competition..
Old 03-27-2006, 04:16 AM

I was thinking of running this engine..

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=23295
Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 AM

most 21's i hear can out run a 28 easily becuz the 21 have better top end
This is a myth, don't be fooled.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:19 PM

Look into the novarossi P5X standard plug or the V spec..
That particular model I have seen twice crack pistons in the same place by 2 different racers at the same track...on different dates of course
ORIGINAL: Spurface

I was thinking of running this engine..

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=23295
Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Also if you re getting serious about the motors then

A The JP mod FX21 B5N "Novarossi" is the man above men. i have this motor but have not dialed it in yet. My V spec is running like no ther right now and dont want to swap it over. Everyone is telling not to just yet. I just have the Vspec running so good right now.
mugenracing.com sales them on their site.

The motor I mentioned is around 400.00 but it is worth it. I have seen one in action and i drool when i see it.

I do know this. the P5 and B5 or even the plus 21-5 is loving the Jp1 pipe.
The V spec doesnt like the Jp2 as much as it likes the Jp1. With the Jp1 it really woke something up, but slap you on a t 2060 pipe and you have created a monster! The good thing about it is you dont loose any low end. I know the 2060 is a top pipe but it does not effect the low end of the V spec. It loves it. i run 230 all day long!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM

vspec doesnt like the jp2 pipe?[] well that just ruined my day[&o] have you tried it or its just rumors?
ORIGINAL: wmff82

A The JP mod FX21 B5N "Novarossi" is the man above men. i have this motor but have not dialed it in yet. My V spec is running like no ther right now and dont want to swap it over. Everyone is telling not to just yet. I just have the Vspec running so good right now.

The motor I mentioned is around 400.00 but it is worth it. I have seen one in action and i drool when i see it.

The V spec doesnt like the Jp2 as much as it likes the Jp1. With the Jp1 it really woke something up, but slap you on a t 2060 pipe and you have created a monster! The good thing about it is you dont loose any low end. I know the 2060 is a top pipe but it does not effect the low end of the V spec. It loves it. i run 230 all day long!
Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 AM

t 2060 pipe? wut the difference between that and the O.S. T-2060SC Tuned Pipe?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:54 AM

It sounds like the OS .21 Vspec is the way to go, I had an OS 18TM in my revo and loved it! Which pipe is best suited to the Vspec...JP1 or 2? and what is the fuel consumption like on this engine?

And do you guys have any suggestions for diff oil set ups?, Both the tracks I race at are pretty tight and technical with one medium sized straight. One is sand based and the other is hard packed top soil.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM

I have the JP2 pipe setting in my box right now because it didnt like it. Its good,but Iwent on advice of another to switch to the jP1. I then borrowed one and tried it and it was really really different. Woke it up. Now my JP FX21 B5 has the JP1 on it..it loves it!!!

Then one day a partial factory sponsored driver says " put this on your V Spec and try it" It was the T2060 by OS. and WOW. That day I had one overnight shipped to me..

ORIGINAL: miswa

vspec doesnt like the jp2 pipe?[] well that just ruined my day[&o] have you tried it or its just rumors?

Old 03-28-2006, 10:35 AM

miswa I ran the Vspec with the JP-2 pipe and it ran great. I do run the JP-1 now but I think both pipes are a good choice. The JP-1 will give you a little more low end though.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:47 AM

wmff, how does the JP1 compare to the OS T2060?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 PM

And do you guys have any suggestions for diff oil set ups?, Both the tracks I race at are pretty tight and technical with one medium sized straight. One is sand based and the other is hard packed top soil.
my current set up is for a track equivelant to yours.

i am running 7k in the front, 10k center, 5k rear. (some may suggest to use 3k in the rear) (and some may suggest to use 7k in the rear)

i also use 50wt shock oil in the front, 45wt in the rear.

this has worked great for me using my REX P5x motor. in fact...it hauls

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.