Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Help!!!Hellfire trouble

Old 03-28-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!Hellfire trouble

I just started having problems with my Hellfire. It seems like the clutch is slipping. It doesn't accelerate very quickly, but the engine revs normally. It revs quick and high. The only time I can get any speed is if I slowly accelerate, I can eventually reach higher speeds, but still not the it's top speed. When I pick the truck up off the ground, and rev the engine, the front wheels turn immediately, but the rear ones only turn after about half throttle. The rear brake doesn't seem to be hanging up. I was hoping this was the problem, but the car coasts freely, and there is no drag on the brake. I'm thinking there could be a problem with the center differential, but what could be wrong? Why would the car be so slow, and seemingly fight against the motor when it coasts freely. If I turn the shafts, the rotate freely.

Help!!!![]
Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 PM

Default RE: Help!!!Hellfire trouble

Wow! these are all happening at the same time too.

No worries bro its just your rear pinion gear.. Go to truggyracers.com and view my post on the fixes for this.. its just a shimming problem. 10 bucks and your fixed. Pull your rear diff and you will see the teeth worn down. No biggie.

every body needs to cal HPI on this matter so they can address it!
ORIGINAL: rrrcustom

I just started having problems with my Hellfire. It seems like the clutch is slipping. It doesn't accelerate very quickly, but the engine revs normally. It revs quick and high. The only time I can get any speed is if I slowly accelerate, I can eventually reach higher speeds, but still not the it's top speed. When I pick the truck up off the ground, and rev the engine, the front wheels turn immediately, but the rear ones only turn after about half throttle. The rear brake doesn't seem to be hanging up. I was hoping this was the problem, but the car coasts freely, and there is no drag on the brake. I'm thinking there could be a problem with the center differential, but what could be wrong? Why would the car be so slow, and seemingly fight against the motor when it coasts freely. If I turn the shafts, the rotate freely.

Help!!!![]
Old 03-29-2006, 10:50 PM

it could also just be that your set screws on your cvd has backed out, thats what happend to mine and my dads.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:10 PM

You are right Scuuba, the set screw was missing!?!?!?! I pulled the diff out(not realizing there was even a set screw), and looked at the teeth. Nothing! I was getting ready to pull the center diff out to see if it was jacked up. When I pulled out the driveshaft, I realized there was supposed to be a set screw on it[:-]. It ended up being a cheap fix, but annoying. I now have 2 more problems.

1. Something inside the engine is messed up. The pull starter doesn't rotate the crank shaft every time you pull it. About 3/4 of the time, you try to crank it, and it just spins the starter. I removed the cord, and installed the roto start back plate, but it still doesn't engage internally. When I installed the back plate, I removed the shaft and looked at it. I checked the way it engages. Nothing looked odd, but I'm not sure how it operates. COuld something be wrong internally?

2. The radio gear on this truck sucks. SOme of you may have seen my previous post about crashing my 2 day old Hellfire. I originally believed that the interference was caused by me not turning off my other R/C car radio(which likely was the main reason.) However, since then, I haven't had both together, and I still get radio glitches. This morning I tried to run it, and I could operate the throttle(although not as normal. It didn't respond as quickly to inputs as normal), but the steering just stopped working. I haven't had any radio troubles with my RS4 3 Evo. What the Hell!?!?!?!?!

I want to get a new radio/receiver to run in both my cars. Suggestions? I'm interested in that Spektrum setup, but does that come stock on radio's or is it an add on? Will I be OK with a normal FM radio?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM

sounds like your one way bearing has gone bad in your motor. amd youre battery pack may be dead or bad.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:31 PM

I second this!

ORIGINAL: scuuuba

sounds like your one way bearing has gone bad in your motor. amd youre battery pack may be dead or bad.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 AM

My Hellfire is also slow like the clutch is slipping but it's basically brand new. as the OP states, the engine is reving up but it's not moving very fast. I don't have the same problem with the front running but not the back as when the car is off the ground all four wheels run fine.
is it going to be the same fault? any help appreciated.
cheers
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM

i had the same problem first i tried to sand the inside of the cluch bell and the i cheked all the set screwws for the shaft and onne of them was out so i tightened it, took it for a run and it ran fine o yea use locktite if thats the problem
Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 AM

I think I've got the same trouble. Could you please describe where the set screws are? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 AM

I think I found the set screw, the one that's in the drum that the spur gear is attached to. How tight can you crank down that screw? The drum that in goes into seem like it's plastic so I'm afraid to strip it. I've tightened it down pretty well but still think it can be tighter but down want to strip it...
Old 10-21-2006, 11:05 AM

Same problem with mine last night, it was the setscrew located right in front of the spur gear.

Did HPI run out of friggin LockTite? It seems so as every damn set screw is coming loose!

ORIGINAL: rrrcustom

Help!!!![]
Old 10-21-2006, 04:31 PM

i checked all the set screws and put on lock tight and no set screws have come out so try that it might work
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM

I have the same problem but Im unable to accellerate. Its like something is dragging.
Some of the wheel related screws came out twice already, Since 'm a newbie; i'm not sure if I will be able
to make these repairs with the tranny. Is it easy to take the RTR apart?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:41 AM

Is there a aftermarket pipe and header. Need to replace cant find any after market...Could this be true?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Remember that checking Brake drag you need to spin both wheels simultaneously, and watch the shaft spin throught the brake rotor.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM

I like the JP-2....