Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

clutch bearing

Old 04-07-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch bearing

How long do these bearings last and how can you tell if they are worn.?I have a stock jammin force engine with about a half a gallon through it . .. thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 03:18 AM

Default RE: clutch bearing

How long the bearings last kind of depends. As a rule you should treat clutch bearings as a consumable and keep spares in your pitbox.

People seem to have different maintenance regimes but I check my clutch on a regular basis, after every race day or say half gallon. If the cb doesn't spin freely when I'm checking then I replace them. Some may have a different routine.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks . Would anyone happen to know the size of the clutch bearing for an OFNA jammin. its a force .28 eninge i seem to think it is a 5x10x4mm also i see all metal and metal flange and yellow which would be best here.??? also does avid make a good bearing ?? sorry for the questions but i could use some help here .
Old 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM

i had the same question a couple of months ago..

i am on the same bearings after a half a gallon, which i may still change considering it will eliminate any problems that may occur during my next race.

BUT before i upgraded to a fioroni turbo sliding clutch..i was killing bearings after every race..which i think it came down to the temp within my clutchbell..the fioroni clutch has more of a contact area, so in theory it wont create as much heat as lets say a 3 shoe Alum clutch..

these are the bearings i have been using with great success using with my fioroni clutch: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5726

i have tried the flanged bearings, BUT i tried them using my alum clutch shoes, not the fioroni clutch..and had a terrible experience.

but if you are going through bearings quick, check your clutch..i have had a huge change in the clutchbell bearing department..lol i dont think i will ever go back to using the 3 shoe clutch.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Thank you both .Ill look into that slider clutch and the metal shield bearings. So far my stock clutch is working fine.I havent been going balistic on the thing so i guess it still has some life to it.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:22 PM

The bearing size for the clutch bell is 5x8mm. I replace them every 10 or so tanks they are not worth the agro if the go wrong so replace them often as you can. I always clean the grease out of them before running them and soak them in rpm boost for a few days before hand nad then use a very small amount of machine oil and replace the seals.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM
My Feedback: (7)

YES! Check them often! I didn't check mine before I raced on Friday and toasted them while qualifying. oh well... Cheap fix anyway!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM

mini ripper, i checked the manual for the ofna jammin and the inner and outer clutchbell bearings are 5x10x4mm not 5x 8s.but thanks for the help .im picking up some fresh bearings soon.I will try the metal flange type
Old 04-10-2006, 09:59 PM

Yes they are 5x10 not 5x8. as far as replacing them it depends on how u line up the clutchbell and the type of bearings u use. I have learned cluthcbell bearings go when the clutchbell was not lined up crooked.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 PM

Im not going to buy these all the time but i wanted to try them out ( ACER brandCERAMIC NITRIDE PRO BEARINGS ).
Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: cawyman

Yes they are 5x10 not 5x8. as far as replacing them it depends on how u line up the clutchbell and the type of bearings u use. I have learned cluthcbell bearings go when the clutchbell was not lined up crooked.
Sorry for the miss quote!

Clutch bell bearings are a consumable part! Do not think anything different of it, they will cause all kinds of grief if you do not replace them regular as clock work! I would expect no more than 10 tanks from mine bashing about! I replace them every 2 heats when racing.
The bearings that are supplied by most lhs are rated for 2000rpm and some seem to think they should last forever with most Nitro engines doing in the region 25,000-35,000 rpm that is some 1000% over duty!! Replace them they are a few quid a pair.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:03 PM

Yea RIP, I know the bearings get a real workout.I have a fresh set on the way. in addition to this high end set ,ill grab some 20 or so other nice once that were recommened to me.Guess i have to pull the engine out to change them that shouldnt be too bad .ill have to figure out which they they get installed meaning , which side the shield goes on . I guess it would face the clutch shoes.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:24 PM

I dont bother using teflon or rubber shielded bearings I just go for the cheaper metal sheilded bearings blow them out with a RPM bearing blaster and motor spary to get the grease out.(the grease will only melt and end up all over you clutch frying it). Soak them in some RPM boost for a day or so. Dry them off and put a little bearing oil on them very little indeed.
I wouldnt bother with the expensive Ceramic Nitride pro bearings. I have found that ceramic bearings are not so great for clutch be use as they do not like dirt or bi-directional stress.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:05 PM

Well the ceramic jobs are on the way so they are going in this time.Next time ill get the metal for sure. I have no specific bearing oil or bearing blast or rpm lol.. how about soak them in degreaser or an hour then blow off with high pressure air,. i have some fantastic light oil called walleys.you could lube a fine watch with it its good stuf.needle applicatrior im sure a 1/4th drop of that on them would have them spinning wide open.If i have any questions ill be sure to ask.Its great to have all this help. Thanks guys
Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 AM

ORIGINAL: AUTOMAG

Well the ceramic jobs are on the way so they are going in this time.Next time ill get the metal for sure. I have no specific bearing oil or bearing blast or rpm lol.. how about soak them in degreaser or an hour then blow off with high pressure air,. i have some fantastic light oil called walleys.you could lube a fine watch with it its good stuf.needle applicatrior im sure a 1/4th drop of that on them would have them spinning wide open.If i have any questions ill be sure to ask.Its great to have all this help. Thanks guys
Yea that method is as good as any.