Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

ST-R or CRT

Old 05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
bretzkej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST-R or CRT

I just called my LHS has both the CRT and the ST-R in stock.

I am going after work to get one. Any last suggestions...... or which to pick....
Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
m0rris

Default RE: ST-R or CRT

st-r
Old 05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
bretzkej

I read your other posts, did you get yours yet have you built it...

And why did you go ST-R vs CRT?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:30 PM
danny f norman

both are great trucks. i would check to see which one your LHS supports the most. if cost is a issue you can get a CRT and a Picco .28 for the same price as the ST-R kit
Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Haulin bass

Or you could buy an STr and not have to worry about spending $300 on parts and upgrades(wich oddly enough includes some kyosho parts) with The CRT.Money should be an issue as the price diffrence is less than $100 depending on where you look.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Tazer_version_A

Ahhh the world famous Kyosho Plastic BREAKS less than Hong Nor debate.

The ST-R hasnt proven to be the better race vehicle - by ANY measureable standard ... YET. People are clamoring to it for the big giant K on the box - all its got going for it to date is .... reputation.

An astute shopper could save over $200 with the CRT. And the Notion that the Kyosho will break far less and not require any optional hop up parts to be race durable and competitive is not truthful.

A Narrow, shorter wheelbased truggy might be a benefit at CERTAIN tracks - not all, and especially the Moto-X style we run in the US and especially the West Coast. When the Kyosho does break - it WILL cost more than a CRT to repair.

Shocks ... Ive become a firm beleiver in how important a role shocks play in a well behaved - consistent vehicle. Jammin's CRT suspension anchored by likely THE BEST SHOCKS in the industry, is a HUGE advantage over the other truggy's out there.

If those are the only two options for you ..... Price, Performance, Parts availability, at track support, online support ... Jammin CRT is the choice.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Tazer_version_A

Ther was a short time where people were running Kyosho outdrive cups on their crts due to a know BAD Batch of Hong Nor outdrives - that were wearing prematurely. Since resolved. Is this urban legend about Kyosho driveline parts being THE ONLY way a Jammin vehicle can run - ever going to die down? Wonder if it will ever make it on the SNOPES.com webstie?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Haulin bass

I call it how I see it, and there is always some stupid little thing keeping the CRTs from finishing(or starting) a race at my local track, My STR has been nothing but reliable starts and finishes every race even with some crashes on my tracks 30+foot tabletop on the main straight. My truck is box stock minus the screws, cast knuckles, eclips and stock plastic toe and A/B block,stock braces,stock chassis.Thats not to say some people arnt breaking stuff on the kyosho but I know Ive pounded the living snot out of mine and have yet to break/wreck anything but a shock bladder.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 PM
bretzkej

Well I went with the CRT and also got the z brace, lunsford turnbuckles, and the lightened out drives. I have the diffs already put togther. I think I made the right choice. My LHS said it is much easy to get CRT parts since they get them from various wholesalers. I guess they can only get kyosho from kyosho america.

Is there any other upgrades or other things I should while I build my truck?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
danny f norman

it should be solid the way you have it there. i have the rtr and have beat it to death.i 've done cartwheels and all and havent had any breakage issues
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM
cause i can

When you do section 15 step 2 place a 3mm washer under the button head screw. This helps to spread out load on the top plate. There is an option CNC top plate from jammin.

Install front bumper step 51 on front assembly prior to mounting on chassis. The screws will be alot easier to get at. I relieved a bit of the fron skid with a dremel to make it so I could pull the front hingepins without removing the skid.

Boil the wing stays.

CNC uper b bracket option part replaces the plastic one.

section 40 /41 throttle linkage Type A permits you to adjust brake bias.

You may want to check out these tips from the Jammin site.[link=http://www.jamminproducts.com/chadstips.htm]Pro driver tips.[/link]

Take your time and have fun.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM
noximus

the STR isnt 200 dollars more than the CRT, STR-640 dollars, CRT 540 dollars...i see a 100 dollar difference. i even know of places that are selling the STR for 600 dollars..

i must be looking for OFNA parts in the wrong places, cause every where i look, kyosho parts tend to be ALLOT cheaper..is Amain not the place to buy parts? cause thats where i usually order my parts...in fact all the time, considering i get them in the mail box within 2 days regular shipping..and each time i look at OFNA parts..they tend to be more money..

what hobby shops sell parts cheaper than kyosho parts? i must be looking in the wrong places cause i dont see it. its the same case here at the local hobby shops..

Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Tazer_version_A

I stand corrected on the price difference ... however; www.nitrohouse.com = STR $699 ... the thing hit the market at $749 .... Many places sold the CRT Pro kit for around $535-550 ..... $750 - $550 = $200. Guess the shops had to lower the price to get more interest in the Kyosho?

OFNA Parts more $$$$ than Kyosho????

I selected these below before looking at pricing ... just based upon stuf that wears out, bends, breaks etc - that is commonly replaced ... I didnt pick these out of the str side SPECIAl to be a kook and be unfair. I did see many kyosho parts that looked comparable to ofna pricing for things I buy all the time, so NOT all Kyosho parts are this much more, but I dont think Im the only one in the hobby that is under the assumption that Kyosho costs more $$$ to buy and repair. I think thats a common conception amongst most folks.

CRT - Parts from www.nitrohouse.com

Front Upper Arms $8.46 - pair
Lwer Arms F/R $16.96 - 2 front / 2 rear
CNC 7075 4mm Shock Stay F $29.71
CNC 7075 4mm Shock Stay R $29.71

Kyosho ST-R - Parts from A-Main

Kyosho Front Lower Suspension Arm Set (ST-R) (1) $10.49 - thats ONE suspension arm !!!!
Kyosho Rear Suspension Arm Set (ST-R) (1) $11.49 - one [1] rear lower suspension arm !!!
Kyosho Hard Front Shock Tower (ST-R) KYOIFW156 $52.99
Kyosho Hard Rear Shock Tower (ST-R) KYOIFW157 $57.99

Old 05-17-2006, 11:47 PM
PillowPants

You forgot to mention one thing tazer.. Kyosho parts are 10x's the quality of ofna parts..
Old 05-18-2006, 04:09 AM
bretzkej

I do not think Kyosho parts are that much better....

The shocks on the CRT are why better than the ST-R. I got all my stuff from Carolinasrc.com. Most of thier CRT parts are much less than the Kyosho parts, plus it is much easier for them to get CRT parts. Just like all new cars/trucks, there are problems. the ST-R cant seem to keep the from bones in....

I think I made the right choice She looks great so far. Should have her togther in the next few hours....
Old 05-18-2006, 04:52 AM
Dnell

Kyosho parts are 10x's the quality of ofna parts..
I think this is a common misconception. Kyosho and Ofna make what I would called a Sport buggy then their Race buggy. Both Race buggies are very similar in overall quality although Kyosho 777 line ups engineering quality, visually, seems better but few could argue that the Paul Coleman Hyper7 and Pro were short on engineering quality. I feel that Ofna has appealed more to the Sport drivers whereas Kyosho's race pedigree puts it with Mugen and Xray when they come up in conversation about quality.

Jammin is a different range all together and it's more obvious in Europe were Ofna is traded as Hobao and Jammin as Hong Knor. Hong Knor isn't know widely in the States as the Jammin brand is just getting off it's feet so any comments on percieved quality should, IMO, be held. The 777 line-up on the other hand is well established and the STR is trading off that heritage.

I often say it's like BMW and it's M series cars, Mercedes and AMG and Audi and it's RS Quattro range. All are excellently presented and appeal to different people for different reasons.

Having said all that the CRT and STR from and engineering point of view have been excellently presented. I helped a friend with his STR and both are very very close and only time will tell the rest of the story. Kyosho have always had a distrubution issue because of the precieved exclusivity of it's range. This might change with the hunger for truggies this year.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Tazer_version_A

You forgot to mention one thing tazer.. Kyosho parts are 10x's the quality of ofna parts..
Yo Hammie ... before I comment further ... please advise. How old are you?

Lets start here - shall we... thread titled ...

Kyosho = Better quality. Exhorbitant prices justified ?????

http://thebashbrothers.com/modules/n...id=110&start=0

Sell me.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
noximus

ORIGINAL: Tazer_version_A

I stand corrected on the price difference ... however; www.nitrohouse.com = STR $699 ... the thing hit the market at $749 .... Many places sold the CRT Pro kit for around $535-550 ..... $750 - $550 = $200. Guess the shops had to lower the price to get more interest in the Kyosho?

OFNA Parts more $$$$ than Kyosho????

I selected these below before looking at pricing ... just based upon stuf that wears out, bends, breaks etc - that is commonly replaced ... I didnt pick these out of the str side SPECIAl to be a kook and be unfair. I did see many kyosho parts that looked comparable to ofna pricing for things I buy all the time, so NOT all Kyosho parts are this much more, but I dont think Im the only one in the hobby that is under the assumption that Kyosho costs more $$$ to buy and repair. I think thats a common conception amongst most folks.

Kyosho Front Lower Suspension Arm Set (ST-R) (1) $10.49 - thats ONE suspension arm !!!!
Kyosho Rear Suspension Arm Set (ST-R) (1) $11.49 - one [1] rear lower suspension arm !!!

is Nitrohosue a DIRECT distributor of Kyosho kits, parts? i assume not, as for the shops that ARE, they sell the kit way less than what your shop does.

like for instance, nitrobuggyshop has and always does sell kyosho parts and kits for allot less than what is advertised..that is the shop that does sell those kits for 640 dollars..

you are basicly comparing a shop that is a direct dist. of OFNA to a shop that basicly puts prices on the parts higher than most stores..

why dont you compare prices from the exact same store that is a direct dist of both products?

like for instance, look at the Chassis of BOTH kits..OFNA chassis costs

Chassis- 139.99 for CRT's 7075 chassis, 89.99 for STR's 7075 chassis

OFNA diff cup- 8.49 kyosho- 5.29..their gears are the same, 10 bucks for OFNA, 5.99 for kyosho..

OFNA center spur gear- 33.99 kyosho 24.99

SURE i can shop around on the net and find prices wayy cheaper than what Amain is selling their parts for..

i know where to get kyosho parts for less than OFNA parts..and now i know where to get OFNA parts for less than what amain advertises them for..but i still cant find any cheaper than where i can get kyosho parts.

but its evident..Kyosho parts are not more expensive than OFNA parts..maybe at YOUR store, but not to many others.

as far as quality between the two, i have tried OFNA parts and have had OFNA kits in the past..people are saying OFNA doesnt produce garbage like what they used to back in the late 90's or whatever the case may be..but i do know kyosho was never producing garbage..in fact you can see it in some of their older kits..a friends old ass kyosho inferno was in storage for years, he brought it out and it still runs great..same diff gears, same stock chassis, the whole nine yards..i honestly wish i could have said the same about the OFNA 9.5 MBX..

after looking around, driving both the CRT and STR, after doing parts research..the CRT in my opinion cannot touch the STR.

if you DONT want to do your homework and listen to a bunch of fan boys and try and win a popularity contest..go with the CRT..

but i will say that socal tazers kit looks great and looks to be an awesome kit. for the money you cant beat it. but again..the ONLY thing that bothers me about that kit..its 90% OFNA parts..my past experiences dealing with OFNA's parts support, and just dealing with OFNA quality 5 years ago was just a horrid experience. so much so i didnt even want to deal with nitro anything..lol

i keep on hearing its a totally different experience now and yadda yadda yadda..but i am an individual that dont forget and i stay committed to what has worked. HB is cool to deal with, they have excellent customer support, but their quality in parts dont compare to kyosho's quality..JMHO. and that might be the deciding factor for me to choose what kit to race/play with for next year.

oh i forgot to add, why dont anybody ASK the pro drivers of such STR's like what everybody is doing with the CRT's? i have YET to hear anything negative coming from people like Aaron walker who HAS raced with the CRT, LSP, Mugen and the STR..he will straight up tell you the STR is hands down a better kit.

ask Mark Pavidis if he wished he could drive some CRT in place of a STR...i wonder what he will say??? as for ALLOT of those drivers dumped the CRT for an STR...i sure dont hear any complaints coming from their side of the house.

has anybody seen that vid of the Dirt Nitro challenge? http://www.rcamerica.com/media/video...rt2006_UMT.wmv

it looks to me the CRT fell apart after clearing a double and the STR, ST1 continued on the race without any issues. could that have happened to the STR? maybe..maybe not, but the fact that it didnt happen to it in that situation does make you wonder.

just as much as ANYBODY can put out footage or come up with what certain racers preferred, i can do the same with the STR..except you dont see them running around the net trying to compare their kits to anybody else's cause they simply know what they got..

thats my final opinion on the whole CRT vs. the STR..
Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
noximus

i also forgot to add, maybe if OFNA offers the deal of the century to Mark Pavidis then they wont have much to worry about? hell maybe they should get Saxton on their pay roll as well...LOL that ST1 is a pretty nice kit that never gets mentioned..
Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Tazer_version_A

I used A-Main as thats the company that was mentioned earlier - only reason. Ive never bought from them personally, and I had no bias on a nitrohouse competitor.

I think a fair example is - the best OFNA reseller .. IMHO - nitrohouse vs. the best Kyosho reseller which - frankly I dont know - but Noximus does. Cuz in reality - thats how its going to go down ... people buying a kit and repair parts are going to go to the best cost, best service provider, whether thats Ebay, A-Main, Nitrohouse, Tower etc ... - unless they are in a bind at the track - then they'll just bend over and whince a little more than usual. ;-)

Not sure I understand what your saying here :

is Nitrohosue a DIRECT distributor of Kyosho kits, parts? i assume not, as for the shops that ARE, they sell the kit way less than what your shop does.
What is a Direct Dist vs .... other dist? Nobody has any type of diff distribution options with Kyosho America than nitrohouse or A-Main or tower etc ... except Great Planes, Horizon and a couple other super huge outlets. As Ive been informed - perhaps you have more info. All the reseller selling the STR kits below the MAP [Min Advertised Price] of $749.00 have to do so stealth - once the item is in your cart u see the price - LOL.

I cant seem to find NitroBuggyShop on google, the web or on ebay - got a link? I like to shop around.

Chassis, CNC 7075 $99.96

Kyosho Chassis - $89.xx - nitrobuggyshop ????

There's post after post on the truggyracers forum of folks bending and losing and front cva's popping out on the new str kits. As with ANY kit the Kyosho is not immune to issues.

Personally - i just dont see the value proposition - so many Mugen and Kyosho devotees profess as gospel. And to preach it at the expense of OFNA/Hong Nor/Ho Bao's creditbility - most times where the exagerated claims are newb errors - i think its just wrong.

Kinda like comparing a low end entry level focused RTR Kit - OFNA 9.5 mbx to say a 777 Sp2 ... just absurd. These discussions typically end up going no where as the focus gets lost and facts get distorted - i try to stay on point with what apeared to be some realistic examples of stuff that breaks ... and even them somehow Im skewing the facts?

Nox - pick 10 of your favorite Kyosho parts off the ST-R - hope you keep it real like Universals or towers or other realistic items - you pick them - provide the part numbers and list them and their prices from your favorite store [with a link for verification] Then I'll do the same and do a real factual comparison.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Dnell

Tazer,

Thanks for that link. Sitting back and reading through confirmed alot of what I've felt about attitudes toward products in the market. I think everyone should read through it again with a 'sit on the fence' attituded, not picking sides. There is degrees of excellence between the top buggies and truggies and they all have their fans, converts and admirers.

Anyone who's been around racing long enough know that all of the buggies no matter what manufacturer it's from, experience similar issues. The point about who typically buys what is most striking because it's so true. Typically the top-end machines are bought by guys who don't crash as much and if you don't crash as much, you don't break as many parts.

I think people should try to seperate Ofna's Jammin brand from their core products, there is a difference and Nox's points on parts availablility and prices play a big part in some peoples decisions. I've found that Kyosho devotees rarely consider it, it's the big K and that's all that matters, similar to Mugen and the other to machine buyers.

Good Stuff this.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Haulin bass

[quote]There's post after post on the truggyracers forum of folks bending and losing and front cva's popping out on the new str kits. As with ANY kit the Kyosho is not immune to issues.[quote] well we both know that yes there has been talk but there has been no proof shown to this happening, I can pull my shocks and run the arm up and down beyond its normal travel and there is no way a bone will pop out, they only way is if you bend it by either a very hard crash or not using droop screws both are user error

Nox - pick 10 of your favorite Kyosho parts off the ST-R - hope you keep it real like Universals or towers or other realistic items - you pick them - provide the part numbers and list them and their prices from your favorite store [with a link for verification] Then I'll do the same and do a real factual comparison.

what If I buy parts off ebay, or buy more than one kit to have an entire car for spares?(like many racers do), I picked up two sets of universals for $30 each, a set of front arms for $12 a set of rears for $13 on ebay wich im fine with paying a few more dollars than what the OFNA parts cost.The price on the shock towers is more because they are a better quality part when it comes down to it, Think about it would you rather have a flawlessly machined and anodized 7075 tower(that looks like a high dollar aftermarket part) or a flpretty much flat slab of 7075? Im not sure if they are still cast towers that have been machined on the CRT but I know the X1 CR has cast and them machined towers.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Haldir

ORIGINAL: TheHamburglar

LOL, dude get a clue!!! I guess the ST-R's phillips wood screws are better quality than the Ofna's CRT's Steel Hex machine screws???!??!??! Hamburglar you are how old??
Old 05-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Haulin bass

There not wood screws homie, There self tapping course sheet metal screws, I have no comment on the quality of screws as I have a tackle box full of gr 12.9 steel screws.I will say Yuichi choses the wood screws and Eclip for reasons of being quick in the pits, Its easy to speed theings up when you only have to turn the wrench half as many times
Old 05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Tazer_version_A

Noximus ...

The thing at the dirt ... as us football fans tend to repeat ... On Any Given Sunday. Your not really telling us the Kyosho STR's dont break ... r u? You picked one race day.... there's a bazillion podium examples on the Jammin Website - where they totally annihilated anyone or anything else there. I dont feel that proves much really... other than OFNA pays bigger $$$ for drivers.

I was at the Gas Nats here in socal the other day - at KZ ... the Kyoshos were off in the distance - not even freakin close to Bradley - does that make the CRt the superior vehicle ... not imho -but on that day at that track - yes. But again - on any given sunday - it can all change.

Look - im not trying to pick a fight .. i just dont think the Kyosho's or Mugens or others can be exhalted to pedestals while demeaning ofna ho bao and hong nor. If your guna try that approach with me - im gunna want some profound evidence. I got a couple good friends that can go to most club level facilities and race days with a Hyper 7 buggy, and clean house in expert class - against the sp2's, the mbx5 prospecs etc .... By most rights - from the jive i read all over the net, their rides should never make it past the first qualifiers with all the foretold breakage, and the poor steering, and the flimsy plastic, and cheezy no good metal driveline components. I think the proof is in the pudding - as they say. Jammin CRT, Jammin X1CR FTE and the Hyper 8 buggies - that aint no Ultra MBX Comp RTR ... and the SP2 777 aint got a damn thing on the hyper 8.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.