Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Truggy or Buggy... Need informed opinion

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy or Buggy... Need informed opinion

Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Diggerv7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy or Buggy... Need informed opinion

Hey guys.. I have a Revo thats been up graded to race. Now I'm torn on what class and what manufacturer to get next? I am on a limited budget but I don't want to buy something just because its within my price range.
The revo is my first RC since the late 80's. And my first nitro. I've seen all the reviews for Ofna, Mugen, kyosho, and Sportwerks. I'm kinda leanin towards the new Turmoil. Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Digger V7

Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 AM
crazysavage

Default RE: Truggy or Buggy... Need informed opinion

ORIGINAL: Diggerv7

Hey guys.. I have a Revo thats been up graded to race. Now I'm torn on what class and what manufacturer to get next? I am on a limited budget but I don't want to buy something just because its within my price range.
The revo is my first RC since the late 80's. And my first nitro. I've seen all the reviews for Ofna, Mugen, kyosho, and Sportwerks. I'm kinda leanin towards the new Turmoil. Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Digger V7

You have to decide based on the availability of parts in your area and what the other racers at your track are running. If a couple of guys have what you have, then you can get a short cut to set up your car. The turmoil is a great start if your on a budget but you have to prepare the car for your track. The Turmoil/Mayhem can compete with anything out there but you have to set up the shocks and the diffs to your driving style and track conditions to be competative and it has a good radio. The Jammin CR RTR is a great car that is easier to set up to win with but the radio sucks. If you are racing two classes at once, you may want to try and find the cash to go DSM/Spektrim and you wont have to worry about frequencies at the track.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Diggerv7

Thanks for the reply crazysavage...I'm really not sure what the other guys are running.. I've only entered one race, first in 18 yrs. I'll try to find out this weekend. I don't know how popular sportwerks is in this area? I do like the buggies though, reminds me of my old RC10 and Kyosho Optima mid SE 4wd days. Of course, it seems the truggies are becoming very popular.
As far as the handling goes, what makes the Jammin easier then the Turmoil or Mayhem to set up? I grew up building open wheel sportsman and Modified oval dirt cars and there is nothing I know from setting them up that I can use with these. I didn't fair to bad first time out though, but I gotta tell ya, my Revo was bouncing over the rough areas of the track and my stock 2.5R had hit 450 degrees after changing fuels a few weeks earlier. It wasn't that fast, but 5th out of 10 in the A main wasn't too bad I guess. I got a 3.3 and made shock oil and spring changes, see what happens tomorrow when I go up to practice.
Again, thanks for the info
Digger
Old 06-08-2006, 08:56 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: Diggerv7

Thanks for the reply crazysavage...I'm really not sure what the other guys are running.. I've only entered one race, first in 18 yrs. I'll try to find out this weekend. I don't know how popular sportwerks is in this area? I do like the buggies though, reminds me of my old RC10 and Kyosho Optima mid SE 4wd days. Of course, it seems the truggies are becoming very popular.
As far as the handling goes, what makes the Jammin easier then the Turmoil or Mayhem to set up? I grew up building open wheel sportsman and Modified oval dirt cars and there is nothing I know from setting them up that I can use with these. I didn't fair to bad first time out though, but I gotta tell ya, my Revo was bouncing over the rough areas of the track and my stock 2.5R had hit 450 degrees after changing fuels a few weeks earlier. It wasn't that fast, but 5th out of 10 in the A main wasn't too bad I guess. I got a 3.3 and made shock oil and spring changes, see what happens tomorrow when I go up to practice.
Again, thanks for the info
Digger
The jammin has tons of driver input on the forums and set up info is easy to find and the jammin requires very minor changes to handle well at various tracks. The Sportwerks car requires changing several blocks on the chassis to make anti dive and squat changes. These things are minor and they can be just as fast as any other buggy out there but there is a difference in smoothness and refinement that will only be noticed after alot of comparitive track time. When all is said and done, jammins, kyoshos,mugens get to the finish line first and with more consistancy.