Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

HPI Hellfire

Old 06-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Ciny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Hellfire

Hi All

I'm looking at buying a Hellfire but after reading a numbers of forums posts about the "out of the box" problems I'm having second thoughts.

Just out of curiosity has anyone read much about the Hellfire, I've read a couple of different forums about it and the problems it has out of the box that some people have found are questionable.

Some that have been mentioned are stripped screw heads, missing bearings in the steering posts, more stripped screws on the engine mounts and around the diff.

It's starting to sound like a bad purchase.

Anyone read any other problems it has out of the box?

I have heard that HPI will replace anything that is faulty which is great but where in Australia would i get it replaced, or would i have to send it overseas? Ay ideas?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Dnell

Default RE: HPI Hellfire

My suggestion is to take the problems experienced as a note. Every kit I have ever bought has had one issue or another. It's part of the hobby.

Some of the problems are typical, what i call, newbie, inflated expectation problems. Ask yourself seriously. How big of a problem is a stipped screw? and since you are aware of the 'potential' problem, you can swap the factory screws for higher quality items.

Product support should be a large part of you purchase and HPI's response to warranty issues is pretty good. They upgraded the A-arms and anyone breaking a standard arm can contact HPI for a potential warranty clam and get the updated items.

Think about all of the units sold, a number none of us can be sure of, the amount of active contributors to the forums that report on their problems. Then think of the thousands of others that report nothing, good, bad or indifferent and you can begin to put things into perspective.

Get the kit, be aware of the potential problems and do what you can to be prepared for "IF" you experience the problem and have your spares ready. As I said, every kit has some issuse or another and not everyone can expect to experience the same problems. If you consider yourself an enthusiast, get stuck in and enjoy yourself.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Ciny

Thanks for the advice,

When i 1st found out about the screws i rang my LHS to see if they sold replacement screws, they told me to go to a bolt shop which i found very odd as usualy they sell spares of everything.

Is there a screw set that i can buy to replace the factory 1's or do i need to buy them seperate?

I've looked around the HPI site for higher quality screws but cant find them, (either im blind or just looking in the wrong place) can any1 point me in the right direction or name the screws for me plz.

I would really like to be prepared for any of the problems that may present themselves, I already have in mind replacing the steering servo as ive heard they are prone to destruction very quickly, and the front arms i've looked into as well.

A little help on the screws if anyone can plz, the more i see this Hellfire the more i want to buy it

thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Dnell

http://www.hexcrews.com/

There is some helpful info on choosing the right screws for particular jobs here, plus complete screw kits.

And the infamous kit supplier RC Screws.

http://www.rcscrewz.com/

Both companies sell screw individually or in kits for popular models.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 PM
the dog

i have found every replacement screw at the hardware store for any of my trucks. also dont forget that when you buy a rebuild kit for your diffs they come with a new set of screws.