Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
ericem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

The lowers do as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
KeithjV

ORIGINAL: oilmanbrown

I've had my ST1 for a week now and I have 10 - 12 tanks through it. Now it starts and idles fine until you give it gas. Then it dies. A couple of times of this and then it won't start at all until you let it sit for a while. Any ideas?
Did you try leaving the glow plug igniter on and see if it runs then? It could be the glow plug or it could be too rich. If you get the wheels off the ground and give it gas does it still die?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
ericem

Here is how I did the steering mod. Just basically attach it to the steering rack. You can cut it short, I just left it, doesn't seem to be touching anything so no point. I just had to extend the turnbuckles make sure when you extend them you extend them evenly thread wise. Definitely looks like I gained alot of steering. Main idea is it turns the inner wheels more i guess so it is lock to lock.

I will get measurements of turnbuckles with a caliper. I also had to find a longer screw to go threw the steering rack. I think you can just simply swap the pivot balls around so the shorter one from the hubs are on the steering rack side, but you still need longer screws. Going to have to get measurements and items needed. Here are similar pics.

http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/in...showtopic=4424

Just did some searching. Looks like it would be a good idea to order this.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2601

as well as these screws

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20776

Should be perfect. Stock nut should fit as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hate to tell you this but that does not look right. you should have alot more of a turn on the outside than you have now. something's not right there.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
oilmanbrown

yeah, i left the igniter on and i checked the plug, it's ok. I haven't tried running it off the ground yet. I pulled on the d*#^ thing so much the pullstart spring broke. So then I installed the rotostart and now the OWB went out. I worked on the track all day today and never got a lap in. I gotta go to the LHS (1 1/2 hours away) tomorrow to get parts. I'll get them to look at it. So far I've had this thing for a week and it's cost me over $200 in extras (servos) and now it won't run. I'm trying hard to keep this PG so I don't get banned. I'm sure you can imagine my frustration. Have I purchased a money pit?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 PM
ericem

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

hate to tell you this but that does not look right. you should have alot more of a turn on the outside than you have now. something's not right there.
lmao looks odd in the photo, but indeed it is turning lock to lock meaning the pivot ball is hitting the hub on both sides.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Mr.Slave

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

caster i think its called..
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
twomanytoys

Oilman its all in the break in and tuning. Its not the truck. The St1 engine has to be the easiest to tune and longest lasting reliable engine you can get. Nitro can be a pain at first till you really start to understand them. Once you get so far out of tune its near impossible to get it tuned unless you start over. Breaking in engines is real frustrating expecially on the pro 28 engine because its pinch is super tight and they dont loosen up till about 15-20 tanks. Just hang in there. The truck is great once its tuned properly.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
ericem

Here is a lower pic still didn't come out right, when I get my real cam I will take a better shot. I just noticed I have to much toe out. I will try it like this anyway and see what happens. Snowing alot though so ya not really a good test on ice with bald tires.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
KeithjV

oilman I feel your pain. Ive rebuilt the pullstart about 7 times now. You can take it apart and fix the spring, its not that bad, just annoying. That is as long as it didnt break in the middle.
Did the OWB break or is it just oily? You might be able to wipe it down and get it to grab. Check the inside of the OWB and see if all the rollers are in tact. Also check the outside for cracks. The roto start does break the OWBs very easily.
If the stock servos died on you Id email and call acehobby. Their support is pretty much non existent but maybe you'll get lucky. Where did you buy the truck?
Untill you can get it running we cant do much more to diagnose it. While you are waiting on parts though you can take the CB off and check the clutch shoes. If they are sticking it will cause the truck to stall or be hard to start.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 PM
oilmanbrown

Yeah, the place where the pullstart spring hooks into the pulley wheel broke. The little tab part. I guess it could be that the OWB is oily. It doesn't seem like it is broken. If you turn it by hand it will catch, but when you put on the rotostart, even with the plug loosened, it just spins on the shaft. I bought the truck at AMAIN and I haven't called them about the servos because I don't just want them to give me another crappy servo. I bought new ones Monday and I've only got three tanks on them. But they are awesome compared to the stock ones. I will check the clutch, I already have the motor out anyway.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ericem ya it still looks funny.wow. i'll have to get a pic of mine tomorrow and see how it looks. i need to run mine.i haven't run it in about 6 weeks been running the .5 instead.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
KeithjV

If you have some carb cleaner you can spray down the OWB to get rid of any oil residue. You said it grabs if you turn it by hand but not with the roto? Is the roto backplate gear broken?
Did the spring break or did the plastic break? Ive bent 3 or 4 new ends on my spring already in the past week or so. There isnt much left of it but Im hoping it lasts long enough to either get a new pullstart or a starter box.
Amain would probably send you a replacement servo, but it would be the same one. Pretty much everyone that gets an RTR, regardless of what company its from, changes out at least the steering servo. Ive changed all of mine. It would be nice if they would just put a better servo in to begin with.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM
oilmanbrown

Nah, the gears on the backplate are fine. The plastic broke on the cord wheel. I'm definitely getting a starter box, this is BS. I would have gladly paid more for an rtr truggy that I didn't have to upgrade after the first day. I just didn't want to get a kit as a newbie.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM
chedster

Hey ericem did you use longer turnbuckles? I ordered some 83mm ones, going to use those maybe cut them down to around 80 to 82mm. The st-1 ones im pretty sure are shorter then 80mm. I also made a hump pack that fits. It's a 2x2x1 configuration and fits great. Just used some 2500mah energizers from wally world, only $2.50 per cell. Should power my ace ds1015 nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28877.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	877369  
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
KeithjV

Stick with it oilman. When you get it running good you will have a blast, just need to get past the frustration days that we all get.

Chedster is that the stock radio box or the extra large one?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 PM
chedster

It's the one that came with the st-1.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 PM
KeithjV

Have you tried putting the RX back in? I couldnt get my AA pack to fit with the RX in the box.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Mr.Slave

in my manual the break in instructions tell me to go full throttle right away.. that cant be right[X(]
Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 PM
KeithjV

Where did it say that? Never go full throttle till the engine is broken in. It will create too much stress and heat and probably crack the con rod.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 PM
chedster

Ya my rx fits but Im using an airtronics one and its tiny, it fits in the little corner
Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 PM
oilmanbrown

That's on page 10, but it says "Do not perform this procedure until the engine has been properly broken in." That is for setting the carb after break in.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Mr.Slave

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

Where did it say that? Never go full throttle till the engine is broken in. It will create too much stress and heat and probably crack the con rod.
i know not to do that haha (ive had a t-maxx for 5 years but have been on a 3 year RC break)
it says that in my manual.. ill just follow the traxxas break in instructions that came with my buddies revo..

anybody know the proper break in setting for this motor?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
KeithjV

ORIGINAL: chedster

Ya my rx fits but Im using an airtronics one and its tiny, it fits in the little corner
I use a spektrum and I couldnt get it in there no matter how I tried. Can you take another picture with the receiver in there too?
Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Mr.Slave

that manual has more errors in it then a windows O/S..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.