Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

i am in the prosess of building a new starter box it will use the hd airplane starter and a 12v battery i ordered all the parts and it came out to be under 30 bucks (not including the starter motor. it will look like this when i am done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90995.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	880640  
Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slave

looks like you can get a pair of pliers on there...
I second that. Even some vice grips. Anything solid with a good fine end so it grabs it well.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 PM

or channell locks plyers would do it. i had the same screw break i think mine was for the rear wing i actually broke the wing when landing and futher incpection the bolt head actually broke off.
on a side note the blue box id working now, the problem is 12 volts isint enough and 2 7,4 arent enough either you need at least 16 to 18 volts for this box. i put 2, 8.4v packs and it worked like its supose to , then i put my 18v drill battery to it and it was on hyper speed.
the box just needs more power (hmmm where did i hear that before) and dont worry the 2 -740 motors can handle it , i checked online and most 700 series motors can handle over 18 volts and this thing has 2 and its geared maybe 2 to 1
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed700.htm
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM

well guys, i finally ordered some jammin super big bore shocks for my st-1. i only ordered the rears right now, i'll order the fronts next month. besides, it's like 4 feet of snow outside and about 14 degrees. so no driving for me until the snow melts. but i'm just getting my st-1 ready for the season. i still have to order some misc. parts like screws and a couple clutch bells. also i'm going to put the GO 5 port .21 in it this year as my back up motor. for now though, the Werks B3 is a BEAST! I can't wait to get back outside and race. i've been practicing with my rc18 on the track at my job so i don't get rusty over the winter. how's everyone else's st-1 holding up?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 AM

Do you have a dremel? Cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver to remove it.
ORIGINAL: ska8erj

i dont know how i did this but here it is

i broke the screw on the right and i have no idea how i did it[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
it was one of the screws that held the wing mount on

i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to get it out
any help would be appritiated

thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 AM

Its been raining alot here so running time for me has been very limited. I want to get a GO engine too but i want the .21 7 port with the turbo head button. I find that .28's are great for straight line speed on the ST-1 but they just have too much power for tracks especially when the surface is dry and loose which is pretty much every track in this country lol and a good .21 like the GO engines would be ideal. Iv been doing a lot of chassis and suspension tuning on my PRO and i also want the jammin 16mm shocks, the stock ones are ok but you always need to have the spacers in or it bottoms out over nothing. I think i might try some progressive rate springs before a buy the shocks but cause i need to get them from overseas. All is good but, i got a Proline high downforce wing to keep it level too. Does anybody else find the rear end a bit loose or free when jumping? mine does it on alot of jumps so i thought a bigger wing might help keep it a bit more stable
Old 02-17-2008, 05:23 AM

On these engines iv heard that the JP-3 overheats them a bit ??? maybe from all the power you get from it i dont know. Being an all-rounder pipe it should do wonders for it but with the already overly powerful bottom end and a pretty light ST-1 id be slightly more inclined to go with the JP-2 pipe, unless you have a somewhat short-straighted and bottom-end-power-requiring track lol then it should be fine. Are you racing or is it just for fun? I have the LRP Comp. Spec 2 pipe on mine with the torque manifold and it has way too much power down low to fully utilise and i can tell that it is just falling maybe 2000 or 3000 rpm short of what it used to pull at top speed
Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 AM

itchybum in the rear i have alot of toe out and the rear end sticks like no tomorrow, i would try that , i didnt have the wing when i had the toe out i actually put the wing on because of looks
Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: redfox03

well guys, i finally ordered some jammin super big bore shocks for my st-1. i only ordered the rears right now, i'll order the fronts next month. besides, it's like 4 feet of snow outside and about 14 degrees. so no driving for me until the snow melts. but i'm just getting my st-1 ready for the season. i still have to order some misc. parts like screws and a couple clutch bells. also i'm going to put the GO 5 port .21 in it this year as my back up motor. for now though, the Werks B3 is a BEAST! I can't wait to get back outside and race. i've been practicing with my rc18 on the track at my job so i don't get rusty over the winter. how's everyone else's st-1 holding up?
The ST-1 comes with big bores doesn't it? I know they are larger then normal truggy shocks.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 AM

which rear brace are you running? i've got the rr2 in and it seems to do fine.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM

in the st1 with the losi shocks i have the stock brace and 1/4 inch steel plate under the engine and it goes all the way to the back of the rear suspencion, that made the back of the truck solid no flexing the front i am in the prosses if putting small strips of 1/4 inch steel plare or a small steel plate so it wont flex in the front and also replace the stock brace with some steel 1/4 inch sqare stock and put that where the stock brace sits, that only adds like less than 1/4 lb total to the truck and it should not make it flex.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:10 PM

yeah, i think the stock st-1 shocks are 13mm, so they are considered big bores. i'm going with the jammin super big bores just to see how they run, and to have a backup set of shocks. i also have more spring choices too. also, it seems like it still bottoms out quite a bit with the stockers on. i'm going to get the GO 5 port. alot of these wisconsin tracks are short and technical, so the torque will be good. when jumping, mine seems pretty stable in the back unless i come out of a turn wild. i also have the high down force wing on. i tried driving it without any wing on, and the truck seemed to want to fly nose down every time.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:27 PM

hey guys what clutch shoes will fit on the st-1?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM

ok I just ordered an st-1 from a main with wing and extended wing mount. Just one question. does it come with 1/2 offset wheels or not?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Yes all teh new ST1 come with offset wheels.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 PM

i dont know how i did this but here it is

i broke the screw on the right and i have no idea how i did it[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
it was one of the screws that held the wing mount on

i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to get it out
any help would be appritiated

thanks in advance
I did the same thing after landing a jump odly on the lid. I wasnt so lucky to have a bit sticking out so i drilled it and it seems to be holding up.
Heres some more picks of my ST-1 getting abused and it keeps on coming back for more

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM

I got more run time on my st1 with the new LRp. This thing is sick! Its all broken in and it screams. Running temps are about 220 and I still have alot more to go but I really dont think I need to go more. Its faster than it has ever been. I am really amazed in this engine. I just cant imagine what that picco p3 would do to this truggy. The LRP is way better than I thought it could be.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM

hey guys what clutch shoes will fit on the st-1?
stock shoes work pretty good. Maybe upgrade to 1.0mm springs, I heard stockers are 0.9 but I really can't confirm that even though i have seen both they looked the same to me :S . If you want upgrade shoes try the aluminum TT's.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3587

Here are springs

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3254

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2660

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3255

Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 PM

will normal aftermarket shoes fit like ofna or HPI because the hobby shop dosnt carry thunder tiger and it would be alot faster.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 PM

will normal aftermarket shoes fit like ofna or HPI because the hobby shop dosnt carry thunder tiger and it would be alot faster.
You can make them work. Just get new clutch springs made for the shoes you plan on buying. Also you might notice a issue with the way the spring will sit on the nut. You might even need a flywheel nut. I think it can work though. I am running mugen shoe, but I am also using a OFNA flywheel nut. Forgot why I didn't use the TT nut.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 AM

With the shoes that hold the spring in the middle you will most likely have to get a new flywheel nut. The springs just wont sit in the TT nut. If you get shoes like the TT shoes then you can still use the stock nut no problem. I got the ofna nut and it worked fine when I got new shoes.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 AM

Thats another thing i love about my Nosram .28, theres always more power to pull from it. I usually run all my cars pretty lean and this engine can always go leaner with no problems but the power just gets too insane before you get too lean . Before i stole this motor i have in there now off my dad, he was running it in his XTM Mammoth which has almost another kilo on my ST-1 and man did that thing hammer. Once we got it run in and tuned up it had that much power that it ballooned the tyres soo much that one of the fronts exploded off the rim in about 5 pieces. Literally exploded, we were totally stunned at the power. Id recommend double glueing all the tyres you intend running on the car whilst using this engine. If anyone has a ST-1 with a picco 28 or nova 528 or tm928 you must show us a vid or something
Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 AM

I still running TT shoes woth 1.1mm springs works good for me...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 AM

My work just payed me last weeks overtime pay that they forgot so i bought some TTR alloy clutch shoes, TTR 1.1mm springs, a TTR 15t clutch bell and some HPI 4x80mm turnbuckles for my steering mod. My PRO kit pretty much has the same steering now as the steering mod gives but its very busy and i can see a couple parts rubbing and pushing against eachother a little. By removing the outer 2 holes on the ackerman and mounting the steering rod directly on the steering bell crank, it eliminates all binding capabilities and frees up the steering for alot cleaner turning action
Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM

OK gentlemen here is my latest and last rant about Thunder Tiger and Acehobby.com. Today I finally received my replacement body after almost 2 months. I also received a replacement pull start. However, instead of sending a brand new pull start Acehobby.com sent me an obviously used one. The pull start was loose in the box and they placed a piece of scotch tape over the wheel in a failed attempt to keep it from unraveling. I had to take the pull start apart and recoil the spring. When I got it apart I discovered it was used and the spring had been broken and a new end bent on to it, and the plastic where the spring end mounts is all chewed up. I am completely disgusted with Thunder Tiger and Acehobby's lack of support. I now know why this truggy is not more popular. From now on Ill stick with the bigger names like HPI. This truck has great potential but the lack of support will keep it from ever fully reaching it. Thunder Tiger should drop Acehobby and find a better distributor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.