Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 AM
intensem1rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

No you need the whole pipe/manifold assembly, it will not fit the stock manifold. Be sure you also order spare manifold gaskets.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
bajaracer1501

Hey guys, I want to throw the 16mm Jammin' big bores on my woman's (aka my basher) ST1 as I've seen they're a direct fit. Are the 16mm big bores for the X1 & X2 the same? What shock weight/spring combos are you guys running? THANKS
Old 10-16-2008, 11:38 AM
calvino

ok, thanks man, just wanted to double check..... sounds like a nice pipe, should open this bad boy up some, people on a-main said it was prety much a JP-3 "knockoff" , and the gasket is the thing that goes on the rear of the engine i think it comes with one, will also seal up the exhaust so it doesn't leak and rob me of performance , ok, when tuning the car for performance, is it "fine" to have a LITTLE blue smoke come out at all speed ranges, i don't want to accidentally overlean the engine and damage it, but i know its got MUCH more power on tap
Old 10-16-2008, 08:17 PM
DS

Just to let you know guys im selling my st-1, if you know anyone who is lookng for one lmk! thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 PM
intensem1rider

ORIGINAL: calvino

ok, thanks man, just wanted to double check..... sounds like a nice pipe, should open this bad boy up some, people on a-main said it was prety much a JP-3 "knockoff" , and the gasket is the thing that goes on the rear of the engine i think it comes with one, will also seal up the exhaust so it doesn't leak and rob me of performance , ok, when tuning the car for performance, is it "fine" to have a LITTLE blue smoke come out at all speed ranges, i don't want to accidentally overlean the engine and damage it, but i know its got MUCH more power on tap

I use the following tuning methods to get me close, then go by feel after this.

To set the low speed needle, I warm the motor up to full operating temp for a minute driving around, then to test to see how your low speed needle is you simply pinch off the fuel line.
-If it revs up really high before shutting down, your too rich
-If it just dies out your too lean.

You want it to rev up a little bit, then shut off, that method gets me to about 90% tuned on the low end

For the high speed needle, I just run it around the track and make fine adjustments till im in the 240-250 degrees range then fine tune from there, the stock TT motors run best around 260 degrees approximately in my experience.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys! So I finally broke down and bought a ST-1!!!! I bought it used off the classifieds on this forum. Got nearly $1000 worth of stuff for $425. Arrived last friday, and I've already put 25 tanks thru it! Just bashing mostly. I might race with it next spring. This thing is sooooooooooo much fun. Much better than I had thought it would be. My brother in law loved it so much that he went out and bought a savage the next day (on my recommendation since he'll never race), lol. He's driving 3 hours this weekend to come drive it with me.

Anyway, I stripped the stock 13T clutch bell (lost engine mount bolts and had to make do). The only replacement bell I could find at the LHS was a 12T OFNA bell which works fine. i ran 5 tanks with the 12T today, however, I'm really missing the top speed and overall "fast feeling" of the truggy. Since the stock engine is piped with the 2035 and 25%, I can get to max speed quite quickly with the 12T (Maybe 2-3 seconds?). My question is, should I try and grab another stock 13T, or jump up to a 14T? (Bashing only for now). Want it fast but just don't want it boggy on the bottom end. Recommendations?

Eganwp
Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 PM
calvino

right, i ran the car, dang was it punchy (had the LSN a bit lean [:-]) i use the "tune like you drive" method, works prety good ok, will order the new pipe and 100 more things for my truck still likes to nosedive SLIGHTLy with 45wt in the rear, i think i will keep it that way, 50 will go in the front since IMO its slightly soft[>:]
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
misasi

TT website shows that the ST1 pages were updated on 2008-10-15. do you guys think they are going to be coming out with a new truck?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM
KeithjV

egan Im running a 16t cb in mine with an LRP Z.28. It still spins the tires on take off and it absolutely flies at wot.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 PM
KeithjV

Does anyone know where I can get the 2 speed transmission for the ST-1 from?
Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM
calvino

A-Main hobbies they're the largest carier of TTR stuff , what seems to be a "popular" shock oil setup for the ST-1? im thinking that the 45wt is still a bit soft for my opinion, but then again i am running on a (tinny) 4' lane 'mini" track [&:] (yes it is possible) will get a new (well tuned) video of me driving, maybe even racing a few friends if lucky
Old 10-18-2008, 07:09 AM
DS

hey guys my clutch shoes are shot, i need a good pair can someone find me some for the stock ttr engine from amainhobbies? I found these but not sure which one?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14661

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14660
Old 10-18-2008, 03:00 PM
KeithjV

amain doesnt carry the 2 speed as a whole kit anymore.
Anyone know if the ofna 2 speed transmissions would fit the ST-1?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:34 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: calvino

A-Main hobbies they're the largest carier of TTR stuff , what seems to be a "popular" shock oil setup for the ST-1? im thinking that the 45wt is still a bit soft for my opinion, but then again i am running on a (tinny) 4' lane 'mini" track [&:] (yes it is possible) will get a new (well tuned) video of me driving, maybe even racing a few friends if lucky
I use 50 all around.

Just took second in the a-main today, only 1 more weekend to go, hope the truggy lasts lol.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Eganwp

So I couldn't decide if I should go with the stock 13T or jump to the 14T (from 12T), so I went ahead with the OFNA 14T. I'm sure glad i did!!! The truck is WAY more fun to drive on 14T. The stock engine (2035 pipe, 25%) still easily lights up all 4 tires off the start and this thing just HAULS arse. I can do donughts so tight that I can completely flip the truck. Power slides doing 45mph by locking the brakes are just awesome. You can even be sliding backwards at full speed, and then light up all 4 tires while sliding backward!!! Since I cleaned the brake shoes, tires easily lock up now. Driving on dirt now feels like I'm driving on ice! lol. The wheel spin is just crazy fast. I'm using 7k/20k/5k, 50wt all around setup and I still balloon the front tires like crazy. They grow almost 3 times as tall as stock and are like a cm wide when fully ballooned, lol. The stock rims are complete crap, I've totally shredded them to pieces with all this power. Time to toss on my 1/2 offsets and bowties. I really can't imagine what a Picco or modded engine would do. I think for sure I'd jump to 15 or 16 at that point.

Anyways, such a blast. We went hill climbing today and it was so much fun. I'm really impressed with this truggy. Literally steers on a dime too. Almost too much steering with how I have it setup. Stong as heck too, bashed the snot out of it and cranked big rocks throwing it 10 feet into the air and haven't broken a thing yet.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Chedzter

ORIGINAL: st1_racer

hey guys my clutch shoes are shot, i need a good pair can someone find me some for the stock ttr engine from amainhobbies? I found these but not sure which one?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14661

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14660
I have had good luck with these two both last about the same with 1.0 springs
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10016
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25646
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
tgal217

need help! St stalls when the fuel gets to half tank every time, I changed the fuel lines bypassed fuel filter, changed tank. runs great for the first half tank and then quits. Temp is good running around 240-250 any advice would be great. thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Eganwp

ORIGINAL: tgal217

need help! St stalls when the fuel gets to half tank every time, I changed the fuel lines bypassed fuel filter, changed tank. runs great for the first half tank and then quits. Temp is good running around 240-250 any advice would be great. thanks
You're probably running into the "lean 1/2 tank syndrom". I don't know a lot about it, but basically the air pressure created within the tank when you get to 1/2 a tank isn't the same as when it's full of fuel, and thus nitro engines tend to run leaner as you burn through your tank. First thing I'd try is richening your LSN slightly. The other problem could be an air leak.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
calvino

we normally "tune" at 1/2 tank to get around the problem, so when the tank hits 1/2 it doesn't lean out, the half tank lean is caused by a lack of pressure from the exhaust gasses pushing down on the fuel in the tank
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
DS

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

ORIGINAL: tgal217

You're probably running into the "lean 1/2 tank syndrom". I don't know a lot about it, but basically the air pressure created within the tank when you get to 1/2 a tank isn't the same as when it's full of fuel, and thus nitro engines tend to run leaner as you burn through your tank. First thing I'd try is richening your LSN slightly. The other problem could be an air leak.

Hope this helps.
u finally got it, have'nt heard from u in awhile
Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Eganwp

Haha yep! I posted about it on the last page. Loving the car! It's handling so much better now with a few changes.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Eganwp

Guys which parts do you guys recommend getting spares for? I busted the front aluminum lower a-arm holder on a rock today and have to put in an order to amain. Are the rear lower suspension a-arm plates worth upgrading to aluminum? Or anything else people are breaking often? I've got a whole cart full of stuff. lol
Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 PM
skyline510
My Feedback: (9)

HI guys just got an ST-1 and I'm in the process of installing a LRP z.28r Spec 3. currently my lrp is set for my revo the shaft was shorten a bit to fit my revo not I'm planning to slap it in to my ST-1. the Lrp originally have a pull start in but change it to spin start I was trying to mount it but the spin start seems to me on the way and touches the chassis is there a motor mount to rais it a bit to accommodate the spinstart like the losi eight's?? also I might want to move the motor forward to compensate the shorten shaft and uses a CB that similar size to a revo CB can fit 1/8 CB due to the shaft.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
calvino

as for the spin start, is it a tigerdrive, if so, whip out the dremel or bench grinder or something to file the 'ears' down with, i had to do that before i went bump box, why not just get the LRP truggy spec, its made more for one, when i get tired of this engine, or it breaks, i will go with the LRP (funny thing is im a basher mostly )
Old 10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
beenbreto

Hey what i ordered was an extra fuel tank, front knucles, rear hub's, and especiaily tie rod ends. I go though those for some reason so quick lol. Hey if you have anything that i dont have LMK thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.