Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Old 11-04-2008, 07:23 PM
bajaracer1501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

So I take it nobody makes a quick change engine mount for ST1's? I'm about to order a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_79/products_id/25257]Novarossi Plus .28 3 Port roto start[/link] but it would be nice to order an "upgraded" motor mount at the same time. I guess it'd be cheaper to just buy a ball hex and pull the motor off the mount so that I don't always have to do my gear mesh when I want to check the clutch shoes. Any pipe/header suggestions for this motor?

and is it just me or is there literally no parts on ebay for this thing?!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure baja, as I need an answer to the same thing about the engine mounts! Maybe try a set of Losi or OFNA mounts and see if they fit??? Let us know what you do, and what works so we all know in the future.

Dang that pic you posted above about the BCE chasis makes me want to install mine! It's still sitting shiny in the plastic and hasn't been opened. Saving it for next season's racing.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Eganwp

Hey Keith,

Here's the largest flywheel I could find on amain (38mm): http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3641

Now too bad I'm not putting an order in to amain, otherwise I could use it on my starterbox. Stupid shipping/customs to Canada sux!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
bajaracer1501

Yo Beenbreto, what was the wait time for that BCE chassis? Looks PIMP! What cvd mods do you need for it...heard it's 5mm longer than stock?

Eganwp - GOOD idea...next time I pull the engine out of my 8ight, I'll see if the King Headz quick change mount could be made to fit.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Eganwp

For reference I just measured the stock flywheel on the ST-1. ~33.5mm diameter. So if you buy a bigger flywheel, be sure to get one that's 35mm or bigger if using stock engine mounts and want to use a starter box!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Eganwp

Guys, does anyone know if there's a backplate I can buy get rid of the roto start all together? (Another brand would be good as not many ST-1 part around here!)

What I believe happend on saturday was the OWB wore out on the shaft and was "catching" on the shaft. This caused it to spin out of whack while the engine was running and caused the small pinion where you insert the rotostart rod to strip out it's holder and lost pinion and metal holder. I need to figure out something to start this thing! I don't have the pull starter either. If I can use my OFNA starter box I will, but I need new engine mounts or a bigger flywheel. But I still need to figure out a way to seal the backplate of the rotostart. The rear shaft/copper seal is leaking oil/fuel a lot too, which makes the OWB slip after about 2 or 3 tanks and I have to pull the whole engine. This is why I want to drop the roto start all together.

Are there any other replacement brands (or generic sized) roto start backplates that will fit? The HPI is too large. I'll also need a new OWB rod that connects to the conn. rod in the engine as it's wear within the brass fitting must be slightly wore, causing oil to leak out...

Any mods anyone know of to seal off the roto start if there's no back plate for this engine? Maybe I can cut a really tight piece of foam and CA it in?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
bajaracer1501

This is the TTR [link=http://www.thundertiger4u.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=roto+start+bac kplate&osCsid=48bc1af3999f15fa24be27cd75475166]roto start backplate part # TTRPN0273[/link] that I am using on the stock TTR engine.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 PM
calvino

i ran the Sullivan S703 tigerdrive backplate (its inline), i did have to "trim" the ears off the bottom for it to fit
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
kweezinarts

hey guys,

about the bumpstart and flywheel, i run the stock ST-1 flywheel on my jpx.28 and the stock motor mounts and have no problem if you dont include the 2x 550 motors not being quite strong enough from a cold start...
but as far as the rubber wheel hittin the flywheel its fine... just make sure your stoppers on the bumpbox are in the right place to hold your chassis in alignment...

oh broke my 1st real part today...

the right front lower a-arm where the screw from the pivot ball threads in cracked causing it to fall out...
although i was jumping it at about 30mph and it landed directly on the front right wheel so...
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM
ericem

ORIGINAL: calvino

OOH MY GOSH, is this pipe a 'wakeup" for the engine or what!, its 60* ish weather, kept the engine on factory specs, WOW its amazingly powerfull, barely tweaked the HSN and LSN, was goin great, i made one mistake, forgot to tighten down the glow plug , so the engine got to much air in, and stalled out over a jump, now the engine won't start, well, will give it a shot tomorrow [&:]
glow plug probably died. Need a new one lol.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 AM
calvino

okie, ya, i got 2 more of the stock ones, they work real good and last a long time[8D]
Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 AM
beenbreto

ORIGINAL: bajaracer1501

Yo Beenbreto, what was the wait time for that BCE chassis? Looks PIMP! What cvd mods do you need for it...heard it's 5mm longer than stock?

Eganwp - GOOD idea...next time I pull the engine out of my 8ight, I'll see if the King Headz quick change mount could be made to fit.
Um the wait for my chasis was about a month, I live in germany and it sometimes takes forever to get mail but i love it pretty good customer service IMO. As far as the CVD mods I was told to get front or rear CVD for the ST1 and it will be fine so hopefully it will work. But im like you Eganwp im not goona put it on till next racing season. Or I might put it on right before I deploy in 2 months, so when I get back ill be ready to race.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 PM
calvino

[X(] the new pipe is AMAZING (i think i ran the LSN a little lean but it was amazing!), can't believe the power it has, if i hit this tiny little 'bump' (about 3" high) while accelerating, the front tires lift into a wheelie! the pipe has made SUCH a difference on the engine, im guessing if the car "skates " alot durring turns (swings the back end around before i want) its due to to thick rear diff fluid (7K), should switch it to like 3k, the rear swaybar is set for more steering than traction, should tweak that also, all in all, you were right, the new pipe's AMAZING, whats the 'average' needle range for it, im running it in 60-65* weather, and i hit like 280 at 1/4 tank (see, i think its a lil lean) other than that, im speechless
Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Horseshoe

Hey guys...newbie here has a quick question. Just received the ST-1 today and noticed that the body interferes with the front shocks when they are depressed all the way down. Would it be a problem if I moved the front shocks to the other side of the shock tower. Or should I keep them in that position and just cut away the body that interferes? Looks like they drilled the mounts too far forward. Didn't know if doing this would cause any problems or not.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
kweezinarts

ORIGINAL: Horseshoe

Hey guys...newbie here has a quick question. Just received the ST-1 today and noticed that the body interferes with the front shocks when they are depressed all the way down. Would it be a problem if I moved the front shocks to the other side of the shock tower. Or should I keep them in that position and just cut away the body that interferes? Looks like they drilled the mounts too far forward. Didn't know if doing this would cause any problems or not.

Thanks for any help.
you could also raise the body posts 1 hole...
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Horseshoe

This fixed the clearance issue...LOL that was easy.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 PM
bajaracer1501

So I took the ST1 to my bashing spot to try out some new upgrades. I'm running a Spektrum 2.0 and just installed red aluminum servo horns, a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/6775]Hitec 985[/link] for steering and a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/6774]Hitec 965[/link] for brake/throttle...wow, what a difference in response time from the stock electronics.

An upgrade that all ST1 owners will also benefit from is a set of Jammin' 16mm big bore shocks. My bashing spot has a ton of natural terrain jumps...some with downside landings and most with flat landings. I'm running the 1.4 piston, 60wt front, 50wt rear and gray springs (stiff) and they suck up the jumps. I always use throttle/brake mid-air to correct landings but when I purposely let it land ackwardly, it always stayed on its wheels...where the stock shocks would kick and many times put it on its lid.

I was going to get a Novarossi Plus 28 3-port rotostart for it, but after a conversation with Supertib, I am gonna get a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_79/products_id/5098]Picco .28[/link] and have him do his stage 1 mod to it as well as turn it into a turbo head and convert it into rotostart. To top it off, it'll run a Jammin JPX head so that everything is still red! This motor should be a monster.

Man, all the hopups I buy are usually for my 8ight-T but all the FUN & DURABILITY of the ST1 deserves a little love. Actually, I bought the ST1 for the woman...I wonder if she'll be able to tell the difference...hahaha! The major drawback is parts availabilty on e-bay...you can buy parts galore for an 8ight but there usually is NOTHING for ST1's. (not that I have needed any, but I like to always have spare parts on hand)
Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 AM
calvino

don't forget a-main hobbies, your St-1 warehouse . Well i took mine out, drove a bit, then i noticed my fuel pressure line wasn't on the exhaust (OOOUPS), so i slowly drove it back to the garage, slid it back on, and drove some more. Must have messed up my settings quite a bit since it was running rich, but powerfull. The stock throttle servo's on the out, got so slow, wouldn't get the engine back to idle.... whole boatload of junk [>:]. Now to convert the 'rest' of the yard into a track
Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 AM
calvino

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2844 will that work with the engine, its HUGE! Will get some pics up later of my truck, also sealed up the carb/backplate so i don't have to worry about them[8D]
Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 AM
beenbreto

you Baja you got to let me know how that mod on that pico goes man!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 AM
bajaracer1501

definately man...just need to give Supertib the final ok and send him the money to get the ball rollin'...can't wait!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
misasi

how much does Supertib charge to mod the jammins?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:06 AM
KeithjV

egan, thanks for the find on the flywheel. Im going to look into that one. Also does anyone know if that flywheel calvino posted will work with an LRP?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Chedzter

That flywheel has only two pins and it is to large. I ran a 35mm ofna and it almost hung below the chassis. If you chassis slap bad you risk killing the motor.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
bajaracer1501

ORIGINAL: misasi

how much does Supertib charge to mod the jammins?

I think he can do different levels depending on how much work you want done... the stage 1 mod I am having him do is $75 and its already supposed to make the Picco 28 a screamer. I just sent him a deposit to start on mine...can't wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.