Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
poe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

Hey thanks for the unbiased advice
Old 07-21-2007, 10:09 AM
redfox03

what size screws are used in the body post? i ordered some posts for the rear of the truck so when i get it i can mount a wing on it without the extender. the posts didn't come with any screws. does it say what size it uses in the manual?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:38 PM
poe

I think I like the ST1 more than the matrix tr.. How are the stock servos? Do they die after awhile? What brake setup does the st1 have and is the top speed slow compared to other truggies. From videos, the st1 looks kinda slow.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
dirthead

Few can approach the ferocity of the TIGER!!! and its fast too.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 AM
dirthead

Hey jay do you or does anyone in here know anything about the ttr s3's? I want to know iof the chassis on the st-1 and the s3 are the same, I'm referring to the s3's flat race chassis. I want to know this cause I just purchased an s3 on ebay, and it has the delta box chassis now,and I want to know if my spare st-1 chassis will fit? If not I can get one on ebay or something.
My team TTR is on it's way to completion, [>:]hahaha <--- Evil laugh

First God created lightning,but it wasnt enough, so God then created THUNDER!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:32 AM
jaywax

Dirt,

I have no idea. I found both of the S3 flat chasis kits on Amainhobbies, but they do not show any measurements. Check them out.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6412

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6411

How how is the RR? I just purchased one from Amain. Now, I have the LRP Z.28 and the RR.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 AM
fat1

I haven't had issues with my stock servos but I've only had mine about 6 weeks and have only put a gallon and a half of fuel through it. As for speed, it's hard to say. Videos are difficult to judge that on especially if the camera is following one car, like from a side shot as it goes by and the other car is being filmed by a stationary camera. I haven't seen any videos with it side by side with another vehicle and thats the only way you can tell. I have not had the chance to run mine with anther vehicle yt and the only things my friends own are tmaxx/revo/jato which is not a fair comparison because they have 2 speed tranny. Is this your first RC Vehicle? If so, it will be plenty fast for you, in fact, any of them will be too fast for you for a while.

Good points:

1. Cheap. Cheaply priced but not cheaply made.

2. Good performance. Some people say it is geared low others say it is geared for racing. Either way, plenty of parts to change the gearing which is what controls speed. Handling right out of the box is pretty plush. I have't rolled it yet not even in a parking lot with full brakes and a 90ΒΊ turn

3. Wrenching. This thing is pretty easy to work on, I think. i haven't wrenched on another 1/8 scale but I do know for a fact is way simpler to work on than any traxxas vehicle.

4. Compatibility. Compatible with alot of mugen/ofna parts like clutch bells, flywheels, tires/wheels. Of course, this may be true for all vehicles but it was nice to be able to use an OFNA vented clutch bell.

5. Style. I think this thing has alot of style. I bought the extended wing mount and a big buggy wing and I think it just looks better than other vehicles, even in stock form i think it looks better. The body is nice espcially compared to the mugen body (think 2005 style body vs. 1985 style body, IMHO)

Bad points:

1. Overlooked. This thing is overlooked by magazines so no one pays attention to it. the S2 just got a "NOT good" review in the sept. 07 issue of RC Driver. Why not review the S3 or ST-1?

2. Overlooked. This thing is overlooked by aftermarket manufacturers which means if TTR dont make it you cant get it as far as upgrade parts.

3. Overlooked. This thing is overlooked by racers, I think even the FT drivers are driving the RC8T.

4. Overlooked. This thing is overlooked by local hobby shops so that means you have to go online for replacement parts

5. Overlooked. This thing is overlooked by online hobby shops so you have a choice of Amainhobbies.com, acehobby.com and Thundertiger4u.com, I think there's a couple others but...

This is just my opinion. take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 AM
dirthead

The RR is awesome, it took about 20 tanks for it to really wake up, but now the other guys are chasing me!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 AM
jec1521

I agree. The S3 is completely overlooked.

It is the NATIONAL CHAMPION. People seem to forget that...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:52 AM
dirthead

Does anyone know of an aluminum upgraded rear hub for the st-1? I broke the same one 2 weeks in a row.[:@] was bashin it pretty hard though
Old 07-29-2007, 03:39 PM
fat1

Is it normal for the clutch bearings to get stuck on the shaft? I've been having clutch problem since I put the OS 30vg in with aluminum shoes so everytime I take it off to check it I have to struggle with bearings. I heat it torque on it, pound it, heat it, pound it, tap it, heat it and then eventually it comes off. I check it every couple of tanls and its like this. Im running TTR aluminum shoes with 1mm springs and it does it with a 14t TTR clutchbell/bearings, a 14t vented OFNA clutchbell/bearings and 16t OFNA clutchbell w/ some other brand of bearings.

Since we're talking about clutches, what do you guys run? I'm looking at the M2C four shoe setup. I called him he reccomended regular soft shoes with .9mm springs, or 2 @ .9mm and 2 @ .95mm. Should I go back to carbon shoes or what? All I know is this is pissing me off hardcore.

Also, when I went to 16t clutchbell my starterbox wouldnt hit the wheel without grinding on the chassis, should I make the gap bigger? Is it safe to do that? thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
jaywax

The problem is not your clutch, its your engine. That OS .30 is a torque monster. It puts a lot of stress on clutch shoes, springs, bearings, and diff cups. Also, if your gear mesh is off a little, it will shread your clutch bell and spur gear. Some engines just have to much bottom end and the OS .30 is one of them. I have known other people to have the same issues while using that engine.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
fat1

is there anything I can do about it? I went up to a 16t clutchbell and still have plenty of acceleration but my starter box doesnt hit the flywheel so I had to buy this duratrax POS. I tried like 5 at the hobby shop and it was the only one that would hit it without grinding on the chassis. Would ceramic bearings help? I dont know anything about them so....

Should I be lubing the bearing some how? They are rubber sealed bearings so they shouldnt require this but I thought maybe lubing it on the shaft (that is friggin funny) would help the situation.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 PM
jaywax

I have seen that engine shread the transmission in the DTX Warhead and completly tear apart a Jammin CRT clutch bell and spur gear that was not meshed perfect. I would stick with the 16t bell. That engine puts so much stress on your vehicle that you have to routinely check you clutch and diffs. If everthing is set up correctly, it will work fine. Keep close eye on your gear mesh and clutch and you should be fine.

p.s.
Make sure you dremel the sides and edges of your aluminum clutch shoes every 1/4 to 1/2 gallon. This is with all aluminum shoes, especially with that engine.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 PM
poe

I still wonder what the brake setup is on the ST1.. Another thing is do the RTR servos center fast enough?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
dirthead

anyone know if the Mugen mbx5t rear hub carriers will fit on st-1? they look real simmilar in pics, I cant find aluminum ones anywhere.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
ti_ben4486

hi,
this is my st1, i don't speak english (i'm french)...

ST1 rtr
a lot of pro options
picco 27 [8D]
Old 07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
dirthead

WOW nice ride man, love the color!!
Here's my st-1 pro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45680.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	733116  
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM
ti_ben4486

I want to put 8 schoks for the big jump...
You, whathave you change on your st1 (what is important)
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
dirthead

My st-1 is the stock pro kit, thats the way it comes out of the box, i'm not sure about the 8 shocks, never used it.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: ti_ben4486

I want to put 8 schoks for the big jump...
You, whathave you change on your st1 (what is important)
all u need is the parts to mount the extra shocks[ and the shocks] it has provisions to mount 8 shocks .
im waiting on the mounts and then ill be running 8 shocks on mine .
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Baja5BLST

John, did you get a TTR ST-1 Pro after selling your current ST-1?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:41 PM
jaywax

ORIGINAL: Baja5BLST

John, did you get a TTR ST-1 Pro after selling your current ST-1?
I decided not to sell it. I have so many of the upgrades on my RTR, that getting the Pro Kit would not be that beneficial. Instead I ordered the Axial .28 RR and the new Airtronics MX-3 2.4GHz Fast System radio(backorder). I should be receiving my LRP Z.28 engine back from the manufacturer this week.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM
dirthead

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!! Jay, your gonna love that motor. and your right TTR did too good a job on their rtr, with a few upgrades, your just about there. It's just not justifiable to spend the extra money for such minimal gain.
PS what's happening at SMF, I saw that they are closing? too bad.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 AM
fat1

Any of you guys have experience with the Fioroni, Werks clutches or the M2C clutch setups? I dont race but Im looking for something that will last longer can a couple tanks. The LST/Muggy guys have had great success with the Fioroni/Werks setups with the Fioroni getting the edge. I think Im gonna try one of them Ijust dont know whch one to try. Let me know if you have an opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.