Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
soccerlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

Thanks Jombo - I'll give some of these suggestions a try tonight (...if I can pull myself away from the sportwerks chaos that should be waiting at home for me!)
Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
madmax22

Madmax I know you took the last circus (sp?) but anything under $50 that would be ok for racing or should I just suck it up and spend $100 on a good one?
No the cirrus is a great servo! its not the fastest but if you bash like me you wont notice. You can get for about $34 SHIPPED! sorry i havent been over for a wile i was after school yesterday and had some friends over.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
bigden25

ORIGINAL: soccerlaw

ORIGINAL: jombo

i just got some good stuff
Ok, so finally success! Thanks for all your help guys. Anyway, it was a little warmer this weekend and got the beast going for a full tank. You have no idea how happy I was to get it moving. What it has done though is create more questions! I apologize that several of them have been answered but this site is a beeeeee-yatch to search through. I seriously think we need to start a sticky with some frequently asked questions. Anyway, here are my questions:

1.) Tuning. My car spits out a ton of fuel out of the pipe and does not last very long. It also takes quite a bit of gas to get it moving (and stalls out when not warmed up). I'm assuming this is all b/c it's running rich. Just want to confirm though as very nervous about it being too lean and trashing it before it's even broken in.

********For my first tank I had fuel spitting everywhere, on tank two I leaned it out a little and continued from there. Do you have a Temp gun? If not get one, it'll help feel safer as you lean it out so you'll know it's not over heating!

2.) Steering. How much steering is normal? It seemed to take over the width of a one lane street to make a turn under 1/4 throttle. This didn't seem right.

***** I had the same problem so my Brother gave me an old, but better, JR raido and reciever. No it can turn on a dime at low speed. I'm still working on my track handling. Some on this fourm told me there were some slider endpoint ajustments that could be causing the stock radio to not turn well - look for those, it might be the problem.

a.) I'm using the high torque servo from my spektrum for steering. If I was going to change - what were the recommendations you guys gave? Madmax I know you took the last circus (sp?) but anything under $50 that would be ok for racing or should I just suck it up and spend $100 on a good one?

********I'm using the HiTec 985 HS - 173 Oz / .14 (or something like that) Works great for $70.

b.) Steering mod - will this give me drastically more steering? Is it worth doing?

Thanks again for all your help guys. Also, after being so excited about getting a tank through it I went out and followed ericem's lead and picked up a chaos - was delivered today so I should have it when I get home tonight!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: soccerlaw

ORIGINAL: jombo

i just got some good stuff
Ok, so finally success! Thanks for all your help guys. Anyway, it was a little warmer this weekend and got the beast going for a full tank. You have no idea how happy I was to get it moving. What it has done though is create more questions! I apologize that several of them have been answered but this site is a beeeeee-yatch to search through. I seriously think we need to start a sticky with some frequently asked questions. Anyway, here are my questions:

1.) Tuning. My car spits out a ton of fuel out of the pipe and does not last very long. It also takes quite a bit of gas to get it moving (and stalls out when not warmed up). I'm assuming this is all b/c it's running rich. Just want to confirm though as very nervous about it being too lean and trashing it before it's even broken in.
Lean it 1/16th-1/18th turn every tankful for the first 5 or 6 tanks! If you let it run too rich during the break-in, it will never run well for you because the cylinder-to-piston fit will be sloppy. The point is to slightly increase operating temperature during break-in so that the different metals in your cylinder wall and piston get a good snug fit during break-in to provide you with good consistent compression.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 PM
KeithjV

Whats the avg temp for the stock engine? I try to keep my HPI mills around 230-250 but this ST-1 seems to run much hotter.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
ericem

Seems to like the 280F range. They come very tight, so some wear on the sleeve is good.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
twomanytoys

The stock st1 engine runs best about 260-280. They run hot but run good when hot.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Darkfae

Well, I've done the carbon servo plate and the front shock post. Tougher than I thought. I'll get pics up when I'm all done.
I had to order some goodies as well.

1 x RCEC011 Racers Edge Cradock Brake Disks for Mugen/Thunder Tiger Buggies (2)
1 x TTRPD1865 Thunder Tiger Red Lightened Self-Locking Wheel Hex Nuts, S3
1 x TTR9796-1 Thunder Tiger 3-Chamber EFRA 2035 Tuned Pipe (Long) w/Manifold
1 x TTRPD2380 Thunder Tiger Body Decal Set, ST-1
1 x DYN2530 Dynamite Machined Aluminum Futaba Servo Horn (Blue)
1 x JCI0030HD JConcepts Mugen MBX5T Illuzion Body

I can't wait till I can drive the thing again.

Oh, and my stock motor loves to run around 270.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
iexion

Sup guys
Im looking at this trug and have been looking at it for a little while now. good idea for someone wanting a truggy?
I already have an aftershock for bashing so i want something more for racing (more or less) just something different. Amainhobbies.com has the ST-1 for 299 so for anything 1/8 and nitro, this seems like a steal.

And lets say i do decide to get one of these, any changes/upgrades needed to be made before i put o'donnells 20% in? [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Darkfae

ORIGINAL: iexion

Sup guys
Im looking at this trug and have been looking at it for a little while now. good idea for someone wanting a truggy?
I already have an aftershock for bashing so i want something more for racing (more or less) just something different. Amainhobbies.com has the ST-1 for 299 so for anything 1/8 and nitro, this seems like a steal.

And lets say i do decide to get one of these, any changes/upgrades needed to be made before i put o'donnells 20% in? [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Lets say you decided to get one of these. I'd say you made the right choice.
Your question has been asked hundreds of times in this thread, and since it really sucks going through thousands of posts to get an answer, I'll save you the time.

Extended wing mount.
High downforce wing.
If racing, servo's and a radio.
Tires. If RTR (as you suggested) then you need rims too.
New motor/stock motor. Up to you.
New pipe.
Diff fluid.

Now, the only thing you NEED to race with is the wing mount and wing. The rest of the stuff will make things more race worthy.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
KeithjV

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

The stock st1 engine runs best about 260-280. They run hot but run good when hot.
Ok. I was a little worried because it was at 270 and it still running rough. I was afraid to lean it out any. I did notice a problem with the LSN though. I tried to lean it out a little, less then 1/8 of a turn and the engine started running erractic. I turned it back to where is was and it calmed down. Any idea what thats about?
Also today, somehow the steering servo wire came in contact with the front brake disc and it severed the wire. Is there anything for this truck to go between the servo and the brakes to prevent it from happening again?
Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
ericem

Run the wire on the other side under the throttle servo thats all.

You should lean out the high speed needle first. Then if you feel its not repsonsive off the line or you see to big a cloud off smoke off the line adjust the low speed. If you have it idling for a while and you take off and you see a cloud its different though.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
madmax22

Ok. I was a little worried because it was at 270 and it still running rough. I was afraid to lean it out any. I did notice a problem with the LSN though. I tried to lean it out a little, less then 1/8 of a turn and the engine started running erractic. I turned it back to where is was and it calmed down. Any idea what thats about?
Also today, somehow the steering servo wire came in contact with the front brake disc and it severed the wire. Is there anything for this truck to go between the servo and the brakes to prevent it from happening again?
Thanks

I run all my wires away from the spur/breaks just for that reason! and do what ericem said thats what I do.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM
88 STEELERS

ok noob question, the nut that holds the flywheel down. the notch facing down or up? to hook up the clutch spring onto
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
chedster

notch should be facing up or away from flywheel
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
88 STEELERS

k thanks, how do u put on clutch spring? never had this type of clutch shoes with no holes to put spring into. Do u put the spring on the pegs first? the clutch has grooves in it, is it suppose to face up or down?thanks again
Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
chedster

When I took mine off I used a small screw driver and pryed the spring off the shoe first. I would do the opposite putting them on. You want the notched side of shoe facing out. I have only taken them off not put them on. Dont stab yourself
Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
KeithjV

ORIGINAL: madmax22

Thanks

I run all my wires away from the spur/breaks just for that reason! and do what ericem said thats what I do.
The wire is in front of the throttle servo. It must have just picked up a little slack from vibrating and it just barely touched the disc thats why I was wondering if there was something to put in there to protect it from happening again.
As for the LSN, I adjusted it the same way Ive done all my other engines. This is the only one that ran erratically with such a small adjustment.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
ericem

Just use some zip ties to hold it back or pull the wire tighter into the receiver box.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM
madmax22

yay! olololololol today my dad came home w/ some nitro and my broken micro-t lol well he told me he got the parts hor his and mine then wile I was working on mine he gave me a lipo for it! lol no it does like 20mph wheelies on demand and when It was charging I went out and fired up the ST-1 then within 2 mins. It started thunder storming I was like NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
jombo

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

The wire is in front of the throttle servo. It must have just picked up a little slack from vibrating and it just barely touched the disc thats why I was wondering if there was something to put in there to protect it from happening again.
As for the LSN, I adjusted it the same way Ive done all my other engines. This is the only one that ran erratically with such a small adjustment.
[/quote]

my low speed needle was set lean from the factory, with this said you may over leaned the high speed as well. i would richen up the low and run it for a while like that and then if need be lean the high a small bit. if your head is solid that will cause your engine to run at a hotter temp also . i dremmeled a slot in the front and the rear of the head so air can pass through the head and cool it down. my temps are in the 220 range and runs good with the stock motor.

the settings on the tt 28 engine the low speed needle is 6-1/2 out and the high 3 out ,these settings i found to be spot on and this is how it comes from the factory and it ran a bit hot for me. i dont know my settings but i do know i went 1 full turn out on the low and 1/2 turn out from factory (but it was also colder out too so that would make a difference).
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
KeithjV

Is there a starting point with the needles on this carb? On my HPI mills the stock starting point for the needles is flush with the flange.
I did have to richen the HSN because it was way too lean from the factory.
The LSN sounds like it needs to be leaned out a little. It doesnt have the snap off the line that it should.
Jombo do you have any pictures of your needle settings?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
ericem

ORIGINAL: madmax22

yay! olololololol today my dad came home w/ some nitro and my broken micro-t lol well he told me he got the parts hor his and mine then wile I was working on mine he gave me a lipo for it! lol no it does like 20mph wheelies on demand and when It was charging I went out and fired up the ST-1 then within 2 mins. It started thunder storming I was like NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aw what was stopping you? LOL I am not even joking if it started raining or snowing I still don't pack it in i keep driving till i notice a problem aka engine running on water XD Right now it is snowing like crazy!! Going to snow through out tomorrrow IT BETTER be a snow day! BETTTER!!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 PM
jombo

yes , i will take some pics
Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
jombo

here you go, but i just remembered i ported the engine so these settings may be a little richer for you. here is the head i modded to let airflow through the head,with the modded engine its running at 220 230 .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14028.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	871974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74316.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	871975  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.